Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Saskatchewanians are humans anyway, eh?

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/wolves/story/9469827p-9380218c.html

So much for the wishful thinking of the wolf repopulators. At least it may give people a bit better chance of defending themselves without recrimination. The life lost would be less in vain.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It didn't say if he was packin' or not, but anybody that goes in the woods, especially where those wolves were becoming less fearful, without a firearm of some sort.......not wise....me thinks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
New York City needs a few packs! They can have ours.

Last edited by elkhunter76; 11/21/07.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The feds have assured us that the wolves in Wy.,Mt., and Idaho would never do such a thing as they are not meat eaters and never kill for fun. So we sre safe.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
well somebody's gotta give the mtn lions a little competition right ? there are too many hikers in the woods for the cats alone! wink

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
With all the devastating wildfires in CA, they surely lost a bunch of wildlife. I suggest Alaska send them a few hundred wolves to help bring the numbers up again.

A year ago the Lab and I were closely surrounded (20 yards and less) by a pack of 5 or 6 wolves in dense brush on a USFS trail. Since I had yelled twice at the dog, out of sight around the next bend, to return, they certainly knew I was there and what I was. When a young bitch (pup of the year) then came out on the trail and invited my dog off to "play", the .260 put a period to the encounter. Maybe they did just want to play, or maybe they had doggie snacks in mind, or maybe a little of "the other white meat". Dunno. Didn't care to find out. Weaponless, I'd have been up a tree like a squirrel.

Carry enough gun.

[Linked Image]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's the "me thinks" part.....

Perfect.....nicely played.

What about lightweight scatterguns with no plugs holdin' 000 buck? I've always thought that might be a very effective/useful weapon for such encounters

Last edited by magnumb; 11/22/07.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
It would be about perfect. OO might even be better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hitten' them with anything is better than missen' with everything.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las

[Linked Image]

I love that pic! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mr. Carnegie was 22 years old. Doubtful he was sick and weak. Wolves only attack the sick and weak, right?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah............................right. smirk

las you did good in my opinion!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ironbender
Mr. Carnegie was 22 years old. Doubtful he was sick and weak. Wolves only attack the sick and weak, right?

And the old, the young, the slow, the dumb, and the unlucky (wrong place, wrong time).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.........and the unarmed......

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Men,
Wolves definitely kill simply to kill. They have decimated the Elk in Bridger and up Greys River and at the same time up to just recently been on the endangered species list which meant simply if you shoot one and get caught you're going to jail. Elk calves and Mule Deer fawns and yearlings as well as Shiras and any livestock they can find unattended are all prime targets. I don't think they would have a problem eating one of us.
Guides that hunt in the area just outside of Yellowstone tell me that they will eat from the front end of a kill back and only eat (in most cases) part of what they kill. If that area were more urban than it is there would be more human contact and we would be reading stories about residents of Jackson Hole or Alpine getting eaten by wolves.
Kill'em where you find em.

Dave

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Las, good shooting, too bad you didn't get all of them.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They had a two hour special on tv about this on one of those Hunter and Hunted marathons over a year ago. I posted it. The biologists on the show said they didn't know it it was wolf or bear because the body was moved around and they said wolves don't do that. Bears they said drag their food to a secluded place and eat it. They thought the wolves could have scavenged remains of the bear kill. Now the wolves are to blame again. Will we ever know?

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a huge difference in wolf and bear tracks but quite a number of easy chair biologists don't seem to understand that. Quite often the feds in our part of the country send a coyote carcass to their lab in Bozeman, Mt., to determine whether it is a WOLF OR COYOTE. Pretty amazing. I watched wolves drag a cow elk about twenty five yards one time. No apparent reason why but they have their own reasons.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire members:
As an ex-Saskatchewanian, I thank Mr. Klikitarik for the vote of confidence that we are human, (smiling here!) I can speak to a couple points with personal experience. While the wolf issue tends to bring out a lot of emotional debate, I believe we can look at the facts fairly objectively in this case.

It would be extremely unusual for a bear to be out in the snow that late in the year in northern Saskatchewan. Try to book a bear hunt there for mid November. I have never seen bear tracks in the snow in Saskatchewan, and never spoke with anyone who did. In most years, it is generally very cold up there by the first week of November.

The coroner�s inquest confirmed the bear hibernation issue. We can only speculate as to why Mr. Paul Paquet would entertain the theory that a bear would be up in the snow, a full month later than normal.

We had another wolf attack this August on the BC coast, north of Bella Bella. In that incident a kayaker fended off a wolf attack with a 4� blade knife. He disabled the wolf and stopped the attack, but was seriously injured himself in the ensuing melee. That was, if I am not wrong, the 2nd attack by a wolf here in BC in the past 7 years.

I must conclude from the evidence that some wolves do in fact attack humans in a predatory fashion, just as some cougars and bears do. That said I do not believe that it is an epidemic. While I understand that the odds of my being involved in a predatory attack are lower than for example getting into a traffic accident, to deny that the possibility exists, is in my view illogical.

All the best on the Thanksgiving weekend to you all!

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BC30, you are entirely right, However.. the hype forever has been that wolves haven't been implicated in attacks on humans (unless the were sick). The sound you are hearing is bubbles bursting. I suspect Mr.Pacquet would rather saw his leg off with a dull butterknife than admit a wolf or wolves were the culprits.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
491 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.