Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
blushSo what do I do ? I have a tube type feeder full of blk oil sun flower seeds�.�along with a recently added suet ball. Going on 2nd year !! hung some �foil� to catch there eye and lure them in/near nope that no work---- even did a grouse carcass�..and all I got was a camp robber and a magpie ,same thing with a moose leg�at my last place (30 miles away)..... With this setup, I was the greatest buffet in town��..heck I even got out the �fox pro5� and played some bird sounds��to no avale...... frown

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sunflower seeds are a pretty large seed that a lot of birds cannot or will not eat. I would try one of the commercial bird mixes that have a combination of millet, safflower, sunflower etc. I lived in AK for a few years, and to be honest, there really aren't that many seed eating birds that spend the winter up there. Not compared to the more temperate zones in the Lower 48 anyway.

Do you have a lot of birds in the vicinity this winter?

Thanks,
Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like you've got everything right. My birds will empty my feeder every 2 days. The only thing they'll eat are black sun flower seeds and pick at suet.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try niger/thistle seeds. (though your tube feeder might not have the right holes.)
They are thin, almost like wide slits, in the tube. Anyway, the chickadees and the red polls love niger seed.

[Linked Image]

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How open is the feeder? If the birds have to cover a lot of open space to get to the feeder they may not take a chance, especially if there is a merlin or an owl around. I usually get only blackcap chickadees and nut hatches, I'm not real fond of redpoles(too messy and drive off other birds and the mess attracts mice). I make a feeder ball out of walnuts and peanut butter. The birds around my feeder will always go to this ball over the suet ball. Good luck, Pete

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
using the small spend'e blk sunflower seed ..the other seeds use to get "kicked out" and not ate'n feeder looks pettey much like miss treateds......i see the birds in little flocks in the birch trees once in a while picking away...then i toss some on the driveway so they can have it there way ...all i get is grouse and some paragian ...which only fills my blk lab with happiness.... smile see my feeder is here..top left conner.(but not in pick https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ch/true/Lone_Smoker_30_BELOW#Post5841762

Last edited by atvalaska; 12/30/11.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
hen scratch

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Unless you have predators hanging around they should come to the feeders. The only other thing can be as it happens to us once awhile is that if you get an old stale and moldy batch of seed, they will not come, ever! Ditto if the feeder is not cleaned and you contaminate the seed. Good luck.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Kill the lynx.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I have better results when the bird feeders are under or very near tree cover.

The birds stage from the tree branches, fly down to the feeders. If anything makes them nervous, they're up in the branches quick.

Any time I had the feeders out in the open, I got a lot less action.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cover - tjm is on the money

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I think so too - our bird feeder in Sterling hangs on the corner of the deck, protected from Tripper Lab by the gate swung back and tied, forming a protected triangle. There is a single large spruce tree about 20 feet away, and woods about 50 feet away. They stage off either and get pretty brave- some of the chackadees and nuthatches will be in the feeder, with Trip's nose only about 16 inches away from them, his head stuck thru the pickets in the gate... Pretty funny to watch.

When we are in attendance regularily, there is a Steller's Jay that will tap on our windows when he wants peanuts. He stashes the surplus all around, but the Canada Jays know all his hiding spots....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
maybe you should try taking that 22 and 410 out of the window next to the feeder. LOL smile

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Feeders attract birds and the birds attract predators, both from above and below. Any house cats around?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Sounds like you've got everything right. My birds will empty my feeder every 2 days. The only thing they'll eat are black sun flower seeds and pick at suet.
Bingo! This stuff works great for us too. Having your feeder next to the trees will also help.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Add a bunch of thistle to the mix.[Linked Image]

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a great picture!!!

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing like a picture with a little tail in it!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by waterrat
Add a bunch of thistle to the mix.[Linked Image]

That picture sure is one in a million!

Great!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Here's another type of feed tactic we employ here at the Lake![Linked Image]

I tend to use more than enough gun
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,861
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.