-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Spent a bit of time this weekend setting some snares for beaver with a couple of kids. They had an awesome time! We got one beaver this morning.

As we went to check the rest of our sets we found that someone stole 6 snares that the kids helped me put in the day before. I still can't believe it. The troopers are investigating - we'll see what happens. I think the kids were more disappointed than I was that someone had destroyed our most promising sets.

[Linked Image]

If you are going to be dumb - you've got to be tuff.
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Little bastids are way too noisy, and often smell, too. They just won't make good bait there, Jesse!!!! :

Good on you for introducing kids to the finer aspects of life.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my best Leslie Nielsen voice, Nice Beaver.

Congrats on getting the kids out. I hope they find whoever took your snares and string them up.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Excellent! A nice time and good for the kids too.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just saw this Jesse. Sorry to hear about the trap thieves. It's more than a long shot but I do hope they get nailed...

I really like the pic of the youngsters...it's a classic! It's easy to see how full of themselves they are with the beeve smile It will keep them coming back for more I'm sure.

Don't let the thieves get you down. If you need some snare makings, I have a few you can have to modify to your liking-at least a dozen or two.
Let me know...

Mark

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Awesome thread! It is a shame that kids learn at a young age now that some people are theives. I know it bothers me when something like that happens around my sons...it robs them of their innosence.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is to bad about the thieves, I spent a good bit of my youth doing a trap line. Yea back in the day, we fur trapped quit a bit in CT. I was 13 when I started with an old neighbor in town, he had to be 80 or so back then, the taught me a lot of stuff, I think the most valuable thing he taught me was how to take a snapping turtle and turn it into soup. Trapped mostly muskrats, learned the value of a dollar too. No beaver back then, now Beaver are considered a pest around here. Nobody traps anymore that I know of. Sad in a way, You learn a lot of things tending a trap line before school then again after. I still wish I had that Remington Nylon 66 who would have thought those would be collector Items.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to hear of the thievery but really glad you are getting the kids out. Great picture!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Any updates or pictures on this? I'd like to se a couple super blankets soon wink

I understand that a couple of wolves were snared out by Beeve Lake this last week. One black and one gray-both yearlings. should not be too bad with lice yet.

Thanks again for taking the youngsters out. It does an old man good to see the young folk getting to really know Alaska smile

bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We've been going out each day checking our sets at the lodge, but the beavers seem to be on to us.

We'll be checking some mink sets this afternoon. smile

Last edited by SpartanGunner; 11/25/12.

If you are going to be dumb - you've got to be tuff.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Very cool! I don't think hardly anything is as much fun as trapping. smile Sorry to hear about the thieves... that is low! mad mad

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Man, that sucks about the thieving MoFoS!
Brother and I used to run dad's lines (coyote and cat)with him when we could, growing up. Only thing we didn't like was the gawd awful stench from his bait.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SpartanGunner
Are you sure it is thieves and not some do gooders ie
PETA or some other organization. Just a guess if you have them in your area. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
way cool, pard is out doing sets as I type, actually hope he's loading up and heading for home, cause if he's overdue, believe I'm on the short list for SAR.

great you took the kids, nice break from video games, let em see some real world

and Mark, cool gesture to offer to replace his missing sets. nice form sir.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A cupla good fellers there, Randy.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.