Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Tonight while watching TV with my wife I realized I left a bag of groceries in the pickup. So I flipped on the porch light, swong the door opened and heard snow and ice crunching. The light is a motion activated light and for some reason always hesitates to come on. Finally it popped on just in time for me to see a paniced moose trying to scurry away.
We have a bmw parked for the winter under a cover. The cow ran around the front of it, slipped, and smacked half its body down on the right front corner.
It broke the bumper bracket on one side and dented the fender. 3 days ago the same moose was chasing my dog while she was tending to her buisiness. Its days would be numbered if it wasnt pregnant.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
BMW's are cheap to fix.. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Where's the pics of the damage?

[Linked Image]

Whilst looking for moose photos, I ran across this one:

[Linked Image]

Caption said the fence around Atwood Masnion (in Anchorage I presume) has killed 4 moose in the last 3 years. That's one way to get rid of urban moose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One must have an extremely fine eye to determine that moose was gravid at this time of the year.

1Minute
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Killing after the fact: no defense, moose was runng away
Killing before any damage: "Judge, really the moose was going to damage my Beamer" Good luck with that

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pak
Killing after the fact: no defense, moose was runng away

RLP??? (Retaliation for life and property) I'm not thinking you'll get far with that either.

You might want to deal with ice which forms around the Beamer so as to avoid future problems. (One may not be so concerned with ice around the old Chevy for obvious reasons - kind of like the use of a car alarm or not.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Why would anyone who lives in AK buy a damn BMW anyway? I've been on the roads up there. My old lady would be drivin' an FJ with an ARB bumper if she lived up there

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
My wife wanted it for her summer driver. I sacrafice a little and it gives me more spending power. Learn from it instead of knocking it...
Im trying to figure out how to put the pics on and I cant. Anyone have a play by play on how to do this?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That sucks. What did the insurance company say? Hopefully it's a local insurance adjuster, no way anybody from the lower 48 would understand " honesty, a moose fell on it"

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Freezerfiller
Im trying to figure out how to put the pics on and I cant. Anyone have a play by play on how to do this?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/696239/1

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Freezerfiller
Tonight while watching TV with my wife I realized I left a bag of groceries in the pickup. So I flipped on the porch light, swong the door opened and heard snow and ice crunching. The light is a motion activated light and for some reason always hesitates to come on. Finally it popped on just in time for me to see a paniced moose trying to scurry away.
We have a bmw parked for the winter under a cover. The cow ran around the front of it, slipped, and smacked half its body down on the right front corner.
It broke the bumper bracket on one side and dented the fender. 3 days ago the same moose was chasing my dog while she was tending to her buisiness. Its days would be numbered if it wasnt pregnant.

Good one! Do you think Allstate will buy that story?

Last edited by northwestalaska; 12/28/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just tell 'em ANC is near Talkeetna; they have the moose dropping deal every year which is so upsetting to the moose-dropping-right-to-lifers, so obviously a moose could land on a Beamer!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
That sucks. What did the insurance company say? Hopefully it's a local insurance adjuster, no way anybody from the lower 48 would understand " honesty, a moose fell on it"
Since we dont drive it in the winter we only buy 6 month policies for it. So it hasnt been insured since October. I've done my own estimate on damage and With a new fender (if I cant straighten it out) and paint and a new bumper bracket the damage is approx. $900. Not going to put me in the red but sure ruined my night.
About a week before I was giving one of the guys I worked with crap because he hit a moose in an un-treed area. You should have heard the crap I got from him yesterday.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The moose was saying "Beamer me up"!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I presume the moose caught on the fence flopped around for quite awhile before passing on. Couldn't have been pleasant....

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many insurance companies will let you put a car/motorcycle on suspense. Which will drop collision and liability while leaving comprehensive still rolling for incredibly cheap.

Not a bad way to go....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If its roughly $900 damage on a BMW, it's not that bad, mainly a PIA situation. Not even worth putting the claim in in some instances with the deductible and all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
its to late now but, the SSS plan would and could have worked well for you in this instance. Just sayin

PS I'd install a fence like the one posted above. Just remember to leave it far enough away from said Beemer so that when they take a face plant they don't land on the hood. grin

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wildone
its to late now but, the SSS plan would and could have worked well for you in this instance. Just sayin

PS I'd install a fence like the one posted above. Just remember to leave it far enough away from said Beemer so that when they take a face plant they don't land on the hood. grin

The shoveling part is sort of tough this time of year, not to mention a general shortage of moose for this to be a capital offence.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender

The shoveling part is sort of tough this time of year, not to mention a general shortage of moose for this to be a capital offence.

forgot about that part.. smile

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.