Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Wife and I are planning to visit AK this summer, probably in August. I was stationed at Eielson AFB near Fairbanks so definately intend to re-visit that area. Left in 1971. Also considering bear watching trip out of Homer, but being unarmed in bear country does not sound too sensible. Planning to hit Mt. McKinley National Park and take a tour. Maybe take the ferry across from Whittier to Valdez. Also glacier/fjord trip from either Seward or Whittier. Discovery sternwheeler in Fairbanks maybe. Might consider a day of fishing on the Kenai somewhere but not plan on bringing fish back. Horseback ride on the Kenai peninsula?

All input appreciated. Thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you driving up?....renting a motorhome here?

Your basic plan is good and timing is good as bugs have died off [mostly].

Salmon fishing would be for silvers which can be done in the Kenai River or salt water at Seward or Valdez.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Sorry about lack of details. Didn't want to be too long-winded. Planning to fly in and out of Anchorage and rent a car. Wife is not too hot on my idea of renting a small RV. Planning around 14 days or so. Want to hit the east end of Denali Hwy around Tangle Lakes where we hunted caribou and camped but not plan to drive the gravel portion. I would if it was my vehicle but sounds like the rent car companies don't approve of that much.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a lot to do a and see in that much time. Anchorage to Fairbanks to Homer and [bleep] to Valdez?

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I flew to Los Anchorage once and rented a Dodge with a camper. It was great and alowed us to sleep anythere or take nap in the rain. I like the ferry ride from Bellingham. Whatever you do will be a lot of fun. Hang out with some Natives, Stay up and look at the Northern Lights. Just don't go on a cruise ship.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Umm, have you been in Alaska in the summertime? It doesn't get dark enough to see the Aurora Borealis in summer. At least when I've been there.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Anchorage, Homer, Seward, Whittier,ferry to Valdez. Up to Fairbanks, down to Denali and back to Anchorage. Or maybe the reverse. Only problem on Valdez to Whittier is the 7am ferry departure and the hour earlier show time.

Anybody used Talon Air out of Soldotna for fishing flight or bear viewing? They use boats on Cresent Lake, I believe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I'd not plan too far ahead and commit until I arrived in Anchorage. If the weather is crap on the KP, head North first.

My preference would be to skip the Whittier to Valdez trip and spend a day or two in Seward. Even on crappy days, the salmon charters can usually get you some fish in Resurrection Bay. If the forecast looks good, do the Kenai Fjiords Tour.

My experience in booking sight seeing trips for visiting relatives has always gotten us into bad weather.....Whittier to Valdez is a nasty trip if the weather is on the deck. I would just watch the weather and react accordingly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M Stevenson,
Everybody on this forum is an expert. I have seen the Northern Lights from the North Cascades of WA in the summer, and several other places in the lower 48. I have seen them in the Yukon in the summer and SE Alaska.

I have been to Alaska in many different months, and the Aurora is highly visible by Sept especially up north of Fairbanks.

Last edited by ppine; 01/16/13.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
Anchorage, Homer, Seward, Whittier,ferry to Valdez. Up to Fairbanks, down to Denali and back to Anchorage. Or maybe the reverse. Only problem on Valdez to Whittier is the 7am ferry departure and the hour earlier show time.

Anybody used Talon Air out of Soldotna for fishing flight or bear viewing? They use boats on Cresent Lake, I believe.

If you rent an RV there will be lots of places to pull off the road for the night, specially as follows: across the Denali Highway to the Paxon Lodge, up the Richardson to Delta Junction. Keep in mind that from the Paxon Lodge up the Delta Junction you will have numerous areas you can pull off the road to look around. This is a very scenery area where you may also see wildlife by the road (caribou, or maybe moose). Summit Lake is a gorgeous area, too. Another road that is quite scenery in the Denali Highway.

In late August you may be able to see the Auroras, specially near Summit Lake, but after 10:00 PM when it's darker. However, much easier to see by mid September.

Last edited by Ray; 01/16/13.
IC B3

F
F
Do not expect to see the Northern Lights during August, even up north in the interior near Fairbanks... I guess it's possible, but highly unlikely, and if they are visible at all during that time of year it'll probably only be a small bit of green along the horizon, not the multi-colored dynamic display you might be expecting or hoping for. August is, however, a great time to be in Alaska for fishing and sight-seeing. I don't think there's any reason to go any further north than Denali, and maybe I'm biased, but I'd spend more of my time on the Kenai Peninsula and less time up north. Let me know if you need any assistance with fishing trips.
Mark
Fishology

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen red northern lights in Alaska on sheep hunting trips in August and spectacular multi-colored displays in early September on fall hunting trips. As always, there's no guarantees but it's not impossible.

One thing is for sure. You won't see them in town.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We saw awesome northern lights down by Ketchikan this past summer in August, so you never know. However it is super rare, I have only seen it that early that one time.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
One of the most beautiful displays I have ever seen, was in Aug.. The love of my life, and I were laying on a beach, probably about 1:30--2:00 AM, ya know, just about twilite, when the heavans just flat exploded!! Colors and patterns like I had never seen before. I believe that was '91. Yup, it is possable!
Twink

A
A
If you are looking for absolute solitude with phenominal fishing (grayling/rainbow trout - mostly grayling)consider Upper or Lower Paradise Lakes. They are fly-in only and there is but one forest service cabin on each. When you are there you are generally the only ones. view of Harding ice field from front of lower cabin. Animals wander in and out. Cabin comes with a boat and oars. Consider a small outboard if you have one. Do Google search or go to www.reservations.gov. Flights from Anchorage, Moose Pass, Seward. We have flown in to one or the other for the past 30 years on our wedding anniversary. No trophy fish, but the fish are in abundance. One year they were literally jumping into the boat. Will make you feel like a fly fishing god, though they will take almost anything (caught one on a metal poptop and small safety pin just to see if it could be done!).

Last edited by AK_DSP; 01/21/13. Reason: add text
T
T
Anson,
take a look at www.nps.gov/alaska
You'll find a list of national park areas. The Denali site is extensive and has info on the bus system, shuttles, hiking, etc. Kenai Fjords (headquartered in Seward) has trails around Exit Glacier, and info on tour boats into the fjords.

The AK Public Lands Information Centers also have info on other public lands, www.alaskacenters.gov

You can also find us on Facebook, AlaskaNPS

Have a great trip!

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for the links. I had found the NPS site and learned a lot about Denali. We are planning to take the long tour bus ride to Kantishna. My preference was the 'shuttle bus' to the Eielson Visitor's Center but my wife and the AK travel agent preferred the 'butt buster' 13 hour trip! We have pretty much finalized the itinery but don't have tickets or reservations yet. Got to get that done real soon before everything gets booked up.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
That sounds great! I'm an old retired pilot so am planning to take an hour dual in a float plane off Trail Lake there in Moose Pass.

A
A
Not to belabour the point, but Lower Paradise Lake is a 7-8 minute flight from Trail Lake. Bugs are bad from mid June to September. Cabin Reservations at www.reservations.gov.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
520 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.