Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We will be flying out of Kotzebue to hunt caribou. Will I need a tripod? Is so what length should we take? Are shooting sticks useful?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have been a completely close minded individual when it comes to these as I have never used nor seen anyone else use one except sponsored hunters on the telly.

I did however, see one that caught my attention which had nothing to do with whomever he was, that was using it, because the functionality was what caught my attention.

It was a trigger release version that enables the hunter to move and position his rifle by simple movement and when the best position was determined, he released the trigger and the tripod was set. Now that, looked like an innovation.

It was a proper 3 legged tripod with a pronounced trigger at the head and I believe it was made by Primo's.

I would be more warm to these on longer treks where the rifle was across the back and the tripod could be collapsed and used as a walking stick to steady walking on broken ground. For usual stalking, which is the way I usually hunt, nothing is in my hands that doesn't go bang.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Those tripods are heavy IMHO.

Light walking stick and a sling and learn how to use the combo as needed or individually...

Some days we tend to use dry small alder/spruce about 3/4 inch thick cut with leatherman on site.. can afford to drop, makes no metallic noise, no big deal if we set em down and leave em.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alaska is a big state where walking, often long distances over rugged terrain, is the primary means of transportation. I have found that any and all extraneous gear and weight is a hindrance when going out - and a downright PITA on the way home when you will hopefully be carrying your first backpack full of meat before you head back to get the rest and the antlers.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just too much stuff IMO!

I do have a very long 66" carbon fiber ski pole that I often use as a walking stick that can quickly double as a monopod when I grip and extend my thumb to rest rifle on......

But I often see hunters that are unable to get off a shot because they are simply cluttered with too much stuff/gadgets and are looking for that benchrest type situation.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I attach this to my rifle for caribou hunting. Extra weight yes, but it sure steady's the shot if they're moving or way out there.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/22...-13-1-2-to-27-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Slik makes a great little tripod that extends to sitting position -- I've used one on 2 Caribou hunts. I'd certainly take it again.

I also carried my jointed shooting sticks and used them.

Last edited by LarryfromBend; 03/23/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And practice, practice, practice, without aids, or very minimal field type options, so you don't need to fiddle around when you have the opportunity to miss an opportunity smile (Not knowing whether you can make an unrested shot does not instill a lot of confidence IMO.)

(And I like the way Phil read you the law without it being obvious that he pointed it out. wink )

(I'm sure glad there were plenty of sound responses here which precludes the need to remark that tripods are best used as trail markers in some of these parts.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
or if you are going to use a prone bipod on the gun, just flip your pack on the ground and its as good if not better.

My long shot was on a caribou, and just over 800 fired off a backpack prone.

Figure if it was good enough for that it should be good enough for most folks. And no added weight or clutter.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman
We will be flying out of Kotzebue to hunt caribou. Will I need a tripod? Is so what length should we take? Are shooting sticks useful?
No you'll not need a shooting tripod. I'd run away from anyone that suggested it'd be a good idea.....

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Originally Posted by Ringman
No you'll not need a shooting tripod. I'd run away from anyone that suggested it'd be a good idea.....

Yep, this^^^^

I don't even use a real tripod when sheep or goat hunting. A small pedco or gorilla pod is it. Weight and space are everything out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guys, Do you suppose we just screwed up another opportunity to witness another walking Cabelas ad?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, guys, for all the responses. I have one of those Harris 13"-27". If there is enough space in the duffel bag I will take it. If I need to leave it at the hangar to make weight in the bush plane, no problem.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
Alaska is a big state where walking, often long distances over rugged terrain, is the primary means of transportation. I have found that any and all extraneous gear and weight is a hindrance when going out - and a downright PITA on the way home when you will hopefully be carrying your first backpack full of meat before you head back to get the rest and the antlers.

Phil,

Even in my 30's, I found that humping packs on steep and/or uneven terrain was a LOT easier when I had a pair of lightweight ski poles along. Fewer stumbles, easing a bit of strain off of the legs etc... Enough so that it easily compensated for the pound of extra weight. Do you use them? A single pole? Hardcore it?

Regards,
Scott

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
never used a tripod for shooting

have used a hiking pole as an improvised rest to steady a kneeling shot that was a fair poke aways

do like using a tripod for glassing with a spotting scope, but have gone with and without it for hunting.

Phil is correct about lots of walking, therefore less gear is better, but a good spotting scope on a tripod have often helped me make the decision whether the game I spotted with binocs is worth the walk or not.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by 458Win

Phil,

Even in my 30's, I found that humping packs on steep and/or uneven terrain was a LOT easier when I had a pair of lightweight ski poles along. Fewer stumbles, easing a bit of strain off of the legs etc... Enough so that it easily compensated for the pound of extra weight. Do you use them? A single pole? Hardcore it?

Regards,
Scott

I have never used walking sticks or ski poles as I am a firm believer in the KISS theory, but I am sure that there are situations where additional support could be helpfull

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Phil,

Regards,
Scott

I am surprised nobody has come up with a little do-hickey that allows ski poles to be quickly and quietly clipped to form a set of shooting sticks..I am not talking about rubber bands or Velcro, but a male/female pivoting quick disconnect fixture which allows the poles to be used for walking as normal but still convert to shooting sticks when required..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
There is a gizmo someone gave me once thats a Y yoke and you can screw or unscrew the legs from it.

I'd suspect it could be adapted to standard walking sticks... no clue where it is or who made it though.

Once the wife and I started using walking sticks, we generally are not without. For help, support, balance, steadying the binocs, firearm etc.... Just one of those things I will use the weight with.

BUT as I've noted, I've often just as quickly cut dry spruce or alder etc... strip it down and run with it. Need to dump the weight, no loss...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pete E

Phil,

Regards,
Scott

I am surprised nobody has come up with a little do-hickey that allows ski poles to be quickly and quietly clipped to form a set of shooting sticks..I am not talking about rubber bands or Velcro, but a male/female pivoting quick disconnect fixture which allows the poles to be used for walking as normal but still convert to shooting sticks when required..

Leupold once offered a walking stick with a magnetic/ swiveling head and low fold out legs. I still have one around somewhere but seldom use it as it is a fairly heavy walking stick and a poor tripod.
The Bog Pod is another that looks good on paper but I have not found it worthwhile in the field

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E

No need, you just cross the straps on the poles and walla, shooting sticks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 91 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.