Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
60n148w Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My daughter had encounter with a Brown Bear on Thurs above Indain. She had been picking Serviceberrys the day before and decided to go back.The Berry patch is a short 10 min hike off the Highway,she hiked up with the 7 month old baby and the two dogs,she carrys Bear Spray and both her and the dogs wear Bells. Liz is no stranger to the woods,she has been hiking around Anch,Hope,Ekutna and the Kenai for the past 10 years.

Liz got to the Berry patch, took the Baby out of carrier put him on the ground and covered him with a bug net,the next thing down below her a cub goes up a tree,and both dogs are barking and she hears the sow,she picked the Baby back up while both dogs kept the sow below her,she said one dog came back a short distance from her looked at her then went back to worry the Bear. She said she just picked up the Baby and started back down the trail ,she called her husband who was at Bird Creek,then called the dogs back,after Nate got there they went back and got her gear.

A strange twist to this is she asked me the night before if I wanted to out with her,I had just recently moved back to Anchorage from the Village and was getting things together for a Garage sale, so declined .

With all the Bear encounters this year, this one would be hard to explain,if contact would have been made ,it would have been hard to live with. I'm really pleased her two dogs had the muckle to stand their ground

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good bear dogs cannot be over-rated. Neither can an extra person (armed) in that situation. Glad they came out okay.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Glad it worked out.

I'm not much on folks going out unarmed. Bear spray is unarmed as far as I"m concerned.

It happens, but it just doesn't make sense when the threat is known.

Hope she gets a gun next time just in case.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
60n148w Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes,her and Nate have been discussing the gun carry subject,Liz is rather petit,but I'm sure she will be able to handle what ever she decides.If she can jump out of airplanes,rock climb,scuba dive and paddle board she will learn to handle recoil.

Dad has not been asked for advice as of yet,I'd be inclined to lean toward a Rem.760 Carbine in 06.

60n148w Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think the dogs get a good whiff of Bear every week,they live out at Indain just below valley meats.my Daughter says so times in the mornings the dogs take off up into woods barking.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Glad they came out okay.

+1.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 60n148w
...I'd be inclined to lean toward a Rem.760 Carbine in 06.

FWIW, that was my thinking too for a non-gunny family member.

I figure the 'linear' action was easier and more foolproof than a 'rotary' action.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My only concern with the 760/7600 is the extraction issues they are frequently prone to when pressures are played with a bit...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
60n148w Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for that bit of info,all I used in mine are factory loads as I don't use it that much.
I just bought some Sako 220 gr. Hammerheads, but haven't shot any yet.

If by chance she goes that route,I'll make some stock,clip,and forearm modifications.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 60n148w
Yes,her and Nate have been discussing the gun carry subject,Liz is rather petit,but I'm sure she will be able to handle what ever she decides.If she can jump out of airplanes,rock climb,scuba dive and paddle board she will learn to handle recoil.

Dad has not been asked for advice as of yet,I'd be inclined to lean toward a Rem.760 Carbine in 06.

Leaning the right direction RE a gun of some kind.

FWIW my wife is what I consider petite... 4-11 105 pounds, shot competition highpower for years, starting with a 308. Before you smirk, 100 rounds a day or so, for days on end at the nationals, will make you aware of recoil.

She has shot up to a 460 wtby. No issues. Said it did kick though. Shot a squirrel with a 378 wtby.

Shot my 300 wtby on deer regularly when she was not bowhunting.

The gal can handle what she needs to. Just has to practice.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Good bear dogs cannot be over-rated. Neither can an extra person (armed) in that situation. Glad they came out okay.

Good people dogs can not be over rated...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 41 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,291
Posts18,467,947
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.