Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Baylian Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am sure this has been covered before but the search engine on this thing doesn't work very well. Which boots do you think would be best for hunting in a spot and stalk style in the mountains of Utah in October? In November or December?

Thanks, TJ

GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Lowas. the Tibet GTX. may bump up to the sheephunter in later seasons although I've done fine in the Tibets.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Russell High Country Hunters.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Only YOUR feet can tell you... Lowas don't fit my feet well even though they're excellent boots. I've got a pair of Cabelas Mountain Hunters on order... first pair had a flaw on the inside that chaffed... we'll see if the second pair is better. If so, they fit my feet much better than the Lowa Sheephunter or Tibet and are every bit the quality.

Hanwag, Meindl, Kenetrek... all make good boots too.

Bottom line, try on as many pairs as you can, if you can...

As to insulation, only your feet can tell you that as well. Some people need more insulation than others. For really cold, there's nothing quite as good as a pac with a removable liner like those that Schnees makes. For really cold, an insulated rubber bottom pac and removable liner is even better.

Really, I've never found one boot that does it all well but some will come very close.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
From using the origional muck chore boot last year when doing all of our family farms work during the worst ice storm we have had in awhile and being very impressed I purchased a pair of the
Muck Woody MAX hunting boots for all of my hunting this year. They are very warm and have a comfort range of -40 to 60 degrees. They are not only the most comfortable boots I own but maybe the most comfortable shoes, they feel like slippers. My feet haven't got cold yet this year.
Highly recommend them.

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I really like Meindl boots made for Cabela's. I don't think one pair of boots is the best choice for the various climate conditions you will encounter. I wear a pair Meindl Canada series boots until late season. I switch over to a heavir insulated boot in late season. I also like the Cabela's Outfitter series of boots.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I have a pair of Irish Setters #3852. Kangaroo leather, gore-tex, 400 gram thinsulate, and a decently aggressive sole.

I am sorely disappointed that they are chinese made.

Some folks don't like Red Wing/Irish Setter Boots, they fit my feet with practically no break-in.

IMO you need to go to a boot store and spend the time needed to find what fits your foot. Just make sure your foot does not slid front to back in them. I imagine it would really suck to travel down hill with your toes doing the stopping as they mashed in the front of the boots

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad hit the nail on the head, no matter what the quality, fit is critical. last time I bought a pair of boots, I tried several brands and ultimately, the danners fit me best. they are not the brand I was planning to buy when I entered the store.

assuming quality is up to the task at hand, fit is most important for long lasting confort and utility.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
257, I've used (hard) a pair of Danner Trophy boots (US Made) since 1999. They've got 600 gram Thinsulate insulation and fit my feet beautifully. They really are a great compromise boot between a Mountain Hunting Boot like the Lowas vs. a Pac-Type boot like the Schnees. I don't like their Goodyear Welt construction much and they don't have quite the level of ankle support a good Mountain Hunting boot has... but to get excellent ankle support the fit has to be tighter and the boot stiffer which typically means colder feet. There's no free lunch.

At last count I've got six different pairs of boots I use for elk hunting.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'll put in a vote for Han Wag Mountain Lights. If they fit your feet, they are excellent. Probably another thing to think about is custom foot beds, made for your own feet. They can make a huge difference in fit. My feet are hard to fit, tried a number of different boots over the years. The Han Wags fit like a glove, require almost no break-in, and are very comfortable and water-proof. I just got a pair but I've seen other guys wear theirs on week-long backpack hunts in snow with no problems whatsoever.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Smoke, Chuck nelson has the Hanwags and loves them!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have used about every make of highend Euro mountain boots made since the '60s, Hanwag are probably at the top of the heap in quality. These boots ARE cold, as Brad mentioned and are often too stiff for much hunting, but, when carrying a pack in steep terrain, nothing else works as well.

I have Schnee's, fine boots, but, I seldom wear them as they do not give the support of my old Kastinger climbing boots or current Van Gorkum custom boots.

I want two more pairs of boots, probably Hoffman's pacs with the ankle strap and a pair of Kenetreks with 400gm. insulation. I save my best boots for hunting and wear lighter Scarpa and La Sportiva boots for backpacking.

I also have Russell High Country Hunters, among the worst, overpriced pos clodhoppers I ever wasted money on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my danners and they have served me well. I only wear them on the farm so they dont get used daily. still, when I am doing chores or going for a walk (usually mid day with rifle in hand) the danners get the nod. they just feel good on my feet. however, for cool weather hunting, I just ordered a pair of schnees 10" insulated pacs. I hope they fit!

for my type of hunting, boots with rubber bottoms are a must for sent control. typically, I wear knee high rubbers as I often have to cross the creek.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use the predecessor to Brad's Danner Trophey's called the Danner Canadian. They are 11yrs old and look quite good, Danner Boot dressing, Pitch blend, and Obenhaufs has kept them going longer than I ever expected. Depending on the day I'll swap in either Danner Raptors or 13" Schnees packs. On really warm days I've even used my Russel upland boots with no trouble.

Kute, could you please elaborate on the Russel High country's? I like their upland boot so much that when my Canadians finally give up the ghost I was going to order the High Country's from Russel. I'm certainly open to dissenting opinion providing you've "been there there, done that". (big grin!)

In all seriousness, what didn't you like?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have gone though the standard catalogue boots but I really like Kenetrek boots I have their hiking boot and they are nice. Where we hunt we do a lot of walking on rough gravel roads to get back to our hunting areas and I don't want a overly stiff boot for sneaking but these boots work great on the gravel and thought the crap. Last Sunday I did a 6 mile walk into area to check on the elk herd and never had one sore spot or foot bruise they are a little stiffer than Lowa and some other hiking boots I have had. I don't think there is a perfect boot for every occasion that is why I have several but as of now Kenetrk gets my nod over danner and all the other boots.

Last edited by ehunter; 12/11/07.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
B
Baylian Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have tried Danner Pronghorns and Georgia boots and they are just too narrow for my feet. I spent 2 hours at Sportsman's trying on their limited selection. None seemed to fit well enough to take home. I do have a bad right foot due to an old basketball injury. Thanks for all the input. I guess I'll block out a Saturday evening and go to Cabela's for a couple hours. My wife will LOVE that date.

Good Hunting, TJ

Last edited by Baylian; 12/11/07.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The US made Danners are CONSIDERABLY different than their imports!

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got the Cabela's Mountains Hunters tonight ala UPS... the fit and comfort is awesome.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Southern Arizona I wear Russel High Country Hunters with Gro-Cord sole. Have found them to be comfortable since the day they were delivered over 10 years ago.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Russels are probably fine for arid hunting conditions but they'd never fly up here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.