Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I am thinking I want to typeset, print and spiral bind a field useful data book for my varmint rifle. What I mean is, all my round count and cold bore deviation and range quirks I will leave at home when I am really hunting. My field book will only have distilled useful data.

I CANNOT keep lots of math in my head, I just cannot do it and I have tried all my life. And I certainly can't crunch numbers when under pressure.

So...

I am thinking about having a notebook with come up, wind-drift and correction data for 20 yard increments out to 800 yards.

So if I range a ground hog at 755 yards I round up to 760, flip to the appropriate page and without thinking or memory it is all there.

If I need to correct a foot or three right I will have a moa and mil table all worked out so I can hold over or dial without thinking.

Range cards I have seen just don't tickle my fancy.

What are you fellows doing? I know I know.... you shoot all the time and memorized it all... I just don't get the chance to shoot enough and my memory gets rebooted at work everyday because my job involves a lot of numbers and data! LOL

In any case any suggestions welcome.

Love your neighbor as yourself. Do not take into account a wrong suffered. Never return evil for evil. Resist not the violent man. Turn the other cheek, go the second mile, give to him that asks.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
DF,

I make my own dope books on Rite in the Rain paper. I took the features from a couple sources and made my own sheets. Copy as many as you need, punch em and put em in a binder, much cheaper than what you can buy and tailored to your needs. Thats where I keep up with all my data.

On the rifle, I have a dope sheet taped to the stock. I normally print from 100-1k in 25 yd. increments with 10mph wind in moa and mils. A good quick back up I also use is to put another in my scope cap. It only shows 100yd increments from 100-1k. I would not have my data only in a book, it needs to be on your rifle or better yet in your head. I know all my 308 data out to 1k in my head, for each 100 yds.

JimD.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
10mph wind...

This seems to be the way everyone does it???

17mph wind multiply by 1.7?

I suppose some minor math can be done in the head quick, its just that I am so bad with quick math in the head under pressure.

I was having another thought last night. Do you or anyone you know account for: Coriolis Effect?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/nightforce_ballistic_program.htm

I don't want to venture forth in the field depending on computers but I think those that laugh off coriolis may have a point but on the other hand may also be ignoring physics.

Love your neighbor as yourself. Do not take into account a wrong suffered. Never return evil for evil. Resist not the violent man. Turn the other cheek, go the second mile, give to him that asks.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the reply Jim! I thought maybe this one had died a slow death of no-replies! LOL

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Im my experience, shooting out to 1k yards does not require an adjustment for coriolis. In a no wind condition I can hit point of aim at 1k. We have just begun shooting out to 1 mile and I understand it must be accounted for at that distance, we shall see.

JimD

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
JimD, I always use a waterproof pen to write on waterproof paper like Write-in-the-Rain. I also use some synthetic papers.

When you say you print on the WITR paper, are you using a laser printer or inkjet printer? Is it waterproof on that paper?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Lee24,

I meant I use a copier, but you can use a laser printer. Inkjet will run.

JimD

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That has been my experience with inkjet printers.
I have a set of pages for all kinds of shooting data for my rifles that fits in a common mini three-ring binder.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Plastic laminate the pages when complete.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Too thick. Use the vinyl or waterproof papers and a waterproof pen.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (222ND, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 68 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.