Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am considering getting an FFL License. I would like to here from you all on the process that is involved.

Basically I just want any advice that might be useful before I go in balls deep. thanks in advance.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
well it is a little to get started.I had no trouble they will send an atf agent to visit you once you file and they will go over rules and facility with you.Personally every agency involved which for ny included state police being i wanted to handle handguns was and still is very helpful if you ever have a question give them a call and they help you.

Not sure if this is info you were looking for but it is my experience.The cost you can look up.I believe it is 300 for ffl and 90 every 3 yrs for renewal

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once you start the process how long on average does it take to have liscense in hand?

`Bring Enough Gun`
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Varies by state.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by heavywalker
I am considering getting an FFL License. I would like to here from you all on the process that is involved.

Basically I just want any advice that might be useful before I go in balls deep. thanks in advance.

You might log on to the ATF web site and read about the process.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have logged on to the ATF website and ordered the application form.

I am just wondering about how long it takes, how much of a hassel it will be if any, are the folks at the ATF easy to work with or not.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Application and fee, finger printing, creating a business in your state, background checks, etc. It does take some time and I've never known the "people" to be unruly. It is worth it in my opinion.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I found that I was more restricted with an FFL than without one as to what I could and could not do...I dropped mine about 2 years ago..you must keep accurate records, and if you operate out of your house or shop your open to search and seizure of your property and I find that distasteful. Then your hobby becomes a business and you must pay taxes on every transaction you make..It just wasn't worth the trouble for me...I pay a local guy here to do all my gun transactions and he charges me a pitence...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I certainly would not do it again on my end, if I didn't have a seperate building which I do. Its my old taxidermy shop and that helps a bit. But if I was to do it from the house... no. And if I was doing it for myself basically, never... I shot a LOT of competition shooting and have a lot of friends in the sport and they utilize it more than I do. Just one of those things.

If it were just for me I'd get the transfers done somewhere else or buy at retailers.

The sleepless nights caused due to worrying about crossed Ts and dotted I/s and you'll never know if you are right or wrong on all the books until you are wrong.... That stress level SUCKS.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Make sure the physical address you intend to use is zoned for a business. Then you will have to get approval from the zoning board for your business before you can complete the FFL process. And then, as someone else already said, you will have to run it like a business.

Steve

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
the whole process took me about 9 months

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They ask about your business - I see ads about "becoming a gunsmith" in order to qualify. Have any of the gun writers tried to qualify for an FFL based on testing them being a business? In Kalifornia, where the whole process is complicated, I wondered if that might be considered a legitimate business reason by the ATF.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
735 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.