Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
A while back in another thread, prm asked if I had pictures of my club's range set-up. I needed to take some photos and then figure out how to post them here. We'll see if I've succeeded. Our club is in the urban fringe on the outskirts of Minneapolis/St. Paul. We have taken pains to be as safe as possible and to reduce noise. The shooting tubes are three sections of 8' culvert. I believe these were "seconds" that were donated. The line of fire was excavated and the dirt used to construct a substantial berm. These photos are of the 100 yard range. We also have a 25, a 50, and a 2/3/400 yard range. Inside the shooting tubes near the bench, some wood frames hold discarded carpet, and the remainder of the shooting tubes have been sprayed with a foam insulation to help reduce noise.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope this helps,

Al

Al

Spend your life wisely.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Well, damn! Looks like the picture thing worked!

Al

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
nice!!!!!! im going to do something similar to that at my place, except i want to do it underground. wishful thinking unless i win the lottery.

6.5mm's rock
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That is absolutely awesome. I would only imagine having a setup like that. Maybe one day whistle

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Very cool, thanks! Spray on foam, didn't think of that. Sometimes it's the most obvious things you miss. Definitely gives me more ideas of what to do now. Does it do a good job of keeping the noise down? I would think it does a very good job.

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Is the muzzle in the tube when your set up, or still outside a bit? Just wondering if that alters the blast. Would have to get some extra long wires for the chrono.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by prm
Very cool, thanks! Spray on foam, didn't think of that. Sometimes it's the most obvious things you miss. Definitely gives me more ideas of what to do now. Does it do a good job of keeping the noise down? I would think it does a very good job.

I don't think anyone has ever measured the decibel differences. I believe there is a good reduction. When you are at the gate, maybe 60-70 yards from the 100-yard firing line, what you hear is more of a loud thump rather than a harsh crack. But there is still noise of course. At more distance, I think the noise is more muted. At least no one can say we aren't trying.

Originally Posted by prm
Is the muzzle in the tube when your set up, or still outside a bit? Just wondering if that alters the blast. Would have to get some extra long wires for the chrono.

Yes, the muzzle is well inside the tube. Even so, you don't want to pull the trigger after forgetting to put your hearing protection on. (Don't ask me how I know.)

This set-up does necessitate long wires for the chronograph. I am currently using a PACT and was able to buy 12' extensions at Radio Shack that just plugged in. The chronograph is about 25' from the muzzle. This extra distance seems to complicate exact placement which is why in my "original" post I was wondering about a boresighter to speed things up. If the distance was only about 10', placement would be more forgiving. I assume my actual muzzle velocity is about 25 fps greater than my readings.

I wonder how things would work if the "tunnel" was somewhat shorter. I suspect, but do not know, that most chronographs would work with two sections of 8' culvert.

Al

Al

Spend your life wisely.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can see where you would definitely want to use a bore guide for that. Would make it very easy. Just set the rifle so that it is on the target, turn on the bore guide and have the laser hitting you and then adjust the chrono as necessary. You can check the velocity loss using JBM ballistics http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi.

Just enter your chrono reading in the muzzle velocity box and the distance to the chrono. When you hit 'calculate', look at the '0' velocity. It will be higher than what you entered.

Last edited by prm; 07/09/10.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"d love to be able to afford at least 300 feet of 3 foot pipe and then cover it for testing..... would be pretty quiet too I'd bet..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by prm
You can check the velocity loss using JBM ballistics http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi.

Just enter your chrono reading in the muzzle velocity box and the distance to the chrono. When you hit 'calculate', look at the '0' velocity. It will be higher than what you entered.

Thanks for the tip. I've bookmarked that site.
Al

Al

Spend your life wisely.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You must not have many rattlesnakes in Minnesota. They love those culverts.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Reloder28
You must not have many rattlesnakes in Minnesota. They love those culverts.

You're right. There are rattlesnakes in the southern part of the state, but none in our area.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry for the delay posting here but I have been looking for the pics below. These appeared on a British shooting forum and show a new 100m range that a guy has built on his farm and this is open to the public for use, although I am not sure exactly what he charges.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The last view shows the entrance to the fireing point and the target building in the distance.

[Linked Image]

I've not visted the range myself, but I believe it is just the 2x 100m lanes...I would certainly love to have such a facility myself, but I can't see that I would pay something like $14* a hour to rent a lane, plus a three hour journey unless I could shoot considerably further than 100m...

*Edited to add I've just found out they are charging �10 per hour per lane which equates to about $14...fairly expensive but not as bad as I first thought esecially as you have no expensive club fee's, so perhaps its not too bad...I'm guessing your buggered if you want to chrono a load! grin

Last edited by Pete E; 07/20/10.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've never seen an outdoor range set-up like this with the shooting tubes. Interesting.

Last edited by djs; 07/21/10.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rost495
I"d love to be able to afford at least 300 feet of 3 foot pipe and then cover it for testing..... would be pretty quiet too I'd bet..

Now that's the ticket!

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Talk about potential for the ultimate 'man cave'! Just need to add a room with a fireplace, big screen, table suitable for hanging out or playing poker and of course a reloading bench. I might never leave.

I'd build the chrono right in with the powered IR screens. I'd also set it up so you could do prone, offhand and kneeling in addition to moving a solid bench into place if necessary.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 58 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,810
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.