Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
pete87 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
purchased, at an estate auction, a rifle with the following markings on the barrel -- Flaig's 7mm Rem Mag ....... FN Action Made in Belgium. It is in pristine condition.

It has a Weaver K6 - C3 scope and no fixed front or rear sights came with it.

Have three questions:
Where might I purchase the fixed sights?;
What might the age be or where may I find some written material to determine the age?; and,
What might be the value?

Cannot figure out how to load pictures. I do not have a WEB site and have nine pictures which range from 53 to 64kb each.
Would like to e-mail to any interested party.

I previously posted a message in November 2009, but have had a couple surgeries since and am just getting back inti the swing of things.

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well the 7mm Remington Mag was introduced in 1962 so going on that and And Flaig was a big mail order house, yea you could at one time buy a rifle and have it mailed to your house. That all changed with the GCA '68. After that abortion of a law was passed you have to deal with and FFL holder for a transfer of a new firearm. Lee Oswald bought his rifle thru the mail, why when they kept records and a local gun shore didn't is one of the on going questions. So you are looking at a date between 62 and 68. Also FN stopped making sporting rifles some time around 65 or 69 do to the high demand for military arms at the time. There were some serious wars going on in Africa at the time, and the demand for FN-FAL's were thru the roof. So to answer you question, 62 to 65 would be a very good guess. That FN action makes the rifle worth keeping, and have a nice custom rifle built from it.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You have a semi-custom or custom rifle. My uncle ordered a barreled action from Flaigs back in the sixties and had it put in a myrtlewood stock. It's a 7mm Remington Mag, too, and I bought it from my aunt after his death.

It is very difficult to determine a value on such a gun because it's a one-and-only item. Just the action is probably worth upwards of $300, though, and I would guess the Weaver scope may be worth $100 more. Bottom line: it's worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it. Mine is worth much more to me as a family heirloom than its value in dollars. It's a good, solid, hardworking rifle, too.

Brownell's sells all sorts of sights, though I cannot imagine why you would want to put metallic sights on such a gun. Just go with a good scope and you're set.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Flaig's was a custom shop near to where I grew up, in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. Their actual address was Millvale, PA.

I spent a lot of time there with my dad as a kid.

They went out of business when Charley Flaig died, in the early 80's. That gives you an end date at least for the age question.

Most of the rifle made there wore Douglas barrels. He used to store Mauser actions just stacked up in drawers. The "gun room", with racks and racks of rifles, was a sight to behold. It was an amazing place...

Do a search on here for Flaigs, you'll find a few posts about the place. A few guys o this forum remember the place.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A whole generation of us grew up with Flaig's by reading the American Rifleman. Each month, Flaig�s ran the same ad and I would re-read them over and over.

I visited Flaig's just before it closed (I was in Pittsburgh on business) and remember driving up the snaking driveway and entering the shop. There were 2 actions for sale sitting on a counter; one was a M1903 Springfield and the other was an FN. IIRC, the price of each was about $75 and I passed on them - my loss.

Flaig's did make nice rifles.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
anyone have much history or pictures of Flaigs rifles?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Found this one example...

Flaig .243

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They imported superb guns at realistic prices. If their name is on it, it is a winner!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have had a couple Flaig Rifles.One had a FN action and the other a Mark X.Both were very accurate and well done.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have seen a number of the Flaig rifles up close. Most were middle of the road in terms of fancy execution but all were very well done. They used Bohler for their barrels at first and later went to Douglas. I think there was the suggestion made that you save the action for a real custom. Chit. Flaig built an excellent rifle. If it's plain stock and you want to tart it up a little, have it checkered, new pad installed..... Enjoy.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
pete87 - If what you're looking for is market value 'cause you want to shuck it off then post some pics on here.

Last edited by OldRooster; 12/15/10.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, batch, 257robertsimp, 14 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.