-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been re-reading your articles regarding the 30-06 and 7x57 lately and wanted to say how much I enjoy them. I would like to know if Hornady makes their own brass or is it produced by some other manufacturer and if so who? I started handloading some 06' and 7x57 ammo from once fired factory loaded light-mag cases I've saved out my rifles and I can't believe how uniform the cases are.
I ran some re-sized cases over the Casemaster and I'm getting less than .0015" run-out, so I thought I'd run an unsized case over the Casemaster just to see what I would find, guess what? same thing. I thought why not check an un-fired factory round, again, the same thing!! interestingly with both cartridges!! empty case weights haven't varied more than 5 grs high to low. Neck wall thicknesses are extremely consistent and uniform. Flash holes appear to be drilled. I'm grateful that I have good straight dies but, I personally haven't seen this level of brass consistency since Federal produced their Gold Medal Brass. Whats your experience with them?
Thanks,
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
BD1,

Hornady brass, in my experience, is really good stuff, and in many cartridges the best deal out there. They also seem to be doing their best to bring out brass in chamberings not all that available elsewhere. I just hope they can keep us supplied!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for responding, are they making their own or is it outsourced? I am really surprised at the quality.I think it's on par with some of the best I've had across my reloading bench in years. I did some online pricing and for the money being asked for it, I think it's a helluva value.
Thanks Again,
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I am pretty sure they're making their own these days. And I agree about the value!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.