Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

In the automotive market, the general thought is that 25% of the value of a new car is lost the moment you drive it off the lot regardless of how good a job you did in haggling.

Not counting antiques and other legitimate collectibles...

What would be the general rule of thumb for resale price loss from walking out the door with your new gun purchase ?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
About the same, and for the same reason: if it leaves the store it's a used gun when it comes back. And you can no longer get full price for a used gun.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My guess (based on decades of walking out of gun stores with new rifles) is that 25% would be about right with firearms as well.

There are many exceptions, though. I've purchased new Ruger No. 1's and sold them for 90% of the purchase price within a year or two. And New Ultra Light Arms rifles tend to hold their value more than many other synthetic-stocked custom rifles. New NULA's cost around $3000, but I have seen used ones in good shape sell for over $2500. A rifle custom-stocked by Jerry Fisher is also more likely to retain value than one stocked by a good but unknown young stockmaker.

Probably the biggest losses I've seen have been with the common custom rifles built on a Rem. 700 action with an aftermarket barrel and stock. Unless made by somebody famous, they often won't sell for anything more than the cost of the parts, if that.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
JB,

Good info!!!

DB

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
About the same, and for the same reason: if it leaves the store it's a used gun when it comes back. And you can no longer get full price for a used gun.

Could you somehow get that information posted at gunshows? smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If well cared for and retained until unavailable, then likely no depreciation. I was offered $200 more for my last purchase before I had even left the store. A pre 64 Win.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depending on the gun in question...Selling it back to a dealer will cost you about 50%,example......
no one will pay within 15-20% for a "used gun" vs "new" and most shops have to run on a 25% profit to keep the doors open and pay good people...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
1minute,

A pre-'64 Model 70 would be considered a "collectible," not a new rifle, the subject of this thread.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Isn't that the truth, 9 outta 10 gun shows here in the Midwest they ask more for a used gun vs a new gun that's still being produced. I honestly don't know why some guys go to the expense to bring stuff and have it marked so high that you're afraid to even ask what they'd take.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not to defend outrageous pricing, but it is also true that everybody who wants to buy a gun show gun also expects to dicker the dealer down. So if you want a given number, mark it higher and then dicker it down to what you really will accept. That's how it's done.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most gun show prices are out of line,it's the couple of excellent deals you may find that can make it well worth your time.The last custom rifle I sold ,I came out better than what I had in it.It's all about how much of a effort you make.

1 and done
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most guys won't dicker 200-300.00 though, realistically 25-50.00 yes.

I see something priced 150-250.00 higher than it's actually worth than I'm not even going to bother to try and dicker.

Life is just one damned thing after another
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My guess (based on decades of walking out of gun stores with new rifles) is that 25% would be about right with firearms as well.

There are many exceptions, though. I've purchased new Ruger No. 1's and sold them for 90% of the purchase price within a year or two. And New Ultra Light Arms rifles tend to hold their value more than many other synthetic-stocked custom rifles. New NULA's cost around $3000, but I have seen used ones in good shape sell for over $2500. A rifle custom-stocked by Jerry Fisher is also more likely to retain value than one stocked by a good but unknown young stockmaker.

Probably the biggest losses I've seen have been with the common custom rifles built on a Rem. 700 action with an aftermarket barrel and stock. Unless made by somebody famous, they often won't sell for anything more than the cost of the parts, if that.

Does anyone know if Jerry Fisher is still around?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One of the few that I have ever paid attention to was a Herter's J9 in 7mm Rem Mag. Store wanted $200. for it. I paid about $95. for mine new.

Have seen a lot of used TC Hawken's that sell for about what the kit cost at one time. And that time isn't very recent.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
djs,

My wife and I just saw Jerry Fisher last week at the Safari Club show in Reno. He was down there for the Custom Gunmakers Guild show, which overlaps SCI every year. We had a pretty long visit, along with a couple of other mutual friends. He's doing well!

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by cal74
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Isn't that the truth, 9 outta 10 gun shows here in the Midwest they ask more for a used gun vs a new gun that's still being produced. I honestly don't know why some guys go to the expense to bring stuff and have it marked so high that you're afraid to even ask what they'd take.

Well if you priced a gun at what you would take you would not sell because you could not haggle.I always price stuff on my tables high because I always get ridiculous offers.It all seems to work out. grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hmm. If I really want to sell a gun at a gun show, I price it at what I consider a fair price, which usually ends up being considerably lower than the prices I see on other tables for a similar firearm.

The only trouble I've had is that everybody wants to haggle, just because gun-show prices have been so high for so long. So when some guy asks, "What's your best price on this?" I look at the price tag and read it to him. If he starts to whine I say, "I think that's a fair price. If you don't, fine." I generally end up selling my guns, while a lot of the "professional" dealers around me are bitching about not selling much, if anything.

A famous country singer used to have a table occasionally at shows in my area. He also put a fair price on his guns. When somebody would ask for his "best price" he'd say, "I don't come to gun shows to make money. If I need to make money, I put together another album. That's my best price, right there."

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gun show dude: Tag says $499...is that your best price?

Ingwe: Nope...$600 is my best price, but I didn't think you'd go for that....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MD, That would be Hank Jr, I suppose! grin

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my local gun dealer wants 30% down when ordering a new rifle, this has to tell you something.........you don't pick it up then you are the only one that looses. another example is a Glock 19 cost about $110 to manufacture, manufacturers that double their money do real well, now up to $220, they retail for around $700 in my area, so the importer takes a cut and the rest is left to the retailer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 62 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,273
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.