Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
UKdave Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Ive just read "Customary Concerns".

Its an article about gunsmiths and the wait time to have stuff done, he mentions 18 months to have scope mounts made! and 10 YEARS for bottom metal crazy I remember reading that Echolls spends 40 or more hours working on a mauser action to straighten it up WTF. I wanted a re barrel and was told 11 months, Im sorry but thats BS. Its a pretty harsh "correct" IMO view of the custom gun industry but will it have the affect of getting these idle smiths of there arses and bring some integrity to the industry?

Last edited by UKdave; 02/17/12.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I believe the good ones are far from idle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't read Terry's article but I assume he was talking about top "name" gunsmiths. If you want to use the very well known smiths then you likely will have to wait. There have to be lots of gunsmiths available who are quite capable of barrel installations and the associated work. Just takes a little looking to find them.

I had a rifle rebarreled last Spring and after the barrel was received the installation was done within about a week (after he completed work for someone who was ahead of me in the line.)

Jim

U
UKdave Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U

How long does it take to actually rebarrel a rifle?.

I did metal work at school, so have a little understanding of setting up a lathe etc so Im guessing that from start to finnish would be no more than 90 mins and thats allowing for a coffee break!! how far of am I?

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, custom rifles take 90 minutes apiece to make and gunsmiths all over the world are getting rich!
(grin)

Terry

IC B2

U
UKdave Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U

I said re barrel? But Darcy does take? 40 hrs to straighten up a mauser action

HRH Prince Phillip

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Musta been a pretty crooked mauser to take that long to straighten. At 40 bucks an hour, 1600 bucks to straighten?? Buy a new rifle!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know I was only kidding. smile

That said, I would rather have my work done good than fast.

Terry

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I believe the good ones are far from idle.

YEP !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Perhaps it would be more accurate if we changed the spelling to say that they are "idol" rather than idle.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by UKdave

Its an article about gunsmiths and the wait time to have stuff done, he mentions 18 months to have scope mounts made! and 10 YEARS for bottom metal crazy I remember reading that Echolls spends 40 or more hours working on a mauser action to straighten it up WTF. I wanted a re barrel and was told 11 months, Im sorry but thats BS. Its a pretty harsh "correct" IMO view of the custom gun industry but will it have the affect of getting these idle smiths of there arses and bring some integrity to the industry?

I know that the wait is painful, but the better smith's have a large clientel and the volume of work is what takes so looonnnngggg. At least that is what I have seen with my own 2 eyes

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you want a new barrel, contact Douglas or Hart and ask them for a time estimate. I have two Harts and a Douglas and the estimate I got from Harts was 4 months, and from Douglas, 2 months. Their estimates were correct and I'm happy with the work done by both firms.

I've also had a couple of barrels re-bored by Clearwater/Delta, Cliff LaBounty's old outfit. The estimate they gave me was 4 - 5 months both times and they did the work within that timeframe. I'm happy with their work also.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I know that the wait is painful, but the better smith's have a large clientel and the volume of work is what takes so looonnnngggg. At least that is what I have seen with my own 2 eyes [/quote]

Try Forkin Arms in White Sulpher Springs, Montana. Ben Forkin has installed three Pac-Nor barrels for me over the last few years, and the turn-around time has been very reasonable. I could not expect better service, and the finished product has been superb in all three cases!

M Bell

"You are so equipment conscious...you carry heavy millimeter cannon with you into the field. The American's sense of sportmanship is equated with his ability to master the sport with his purchases, not his skill." --Scottish author unknown--
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hand work and attention to detail takes time, I don't know how long it takes to do a proper rust blue job, my guess more that an hour or two. The point is that good gunsmithing from a guy who is good at his craft, its both time consuming and you are going to pay for it. Wieland made a point that there are fewer taking up the trade, I like to call it a craft. Since it takes years to get to the level Wieland is talking about. How I would love to be able to commission a rifle from Echol's. He makes rifles to shoot and hunt with. He the best or dam close to it.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guys,

I think we're beginning to stray from the point. Terry's point was not the length of time it takes to get work done, it was promising the work would be done by a certain time, and missing that date by several orders of magnitude. If a maker says it will take ten years to do a job, that's fine -- so long as he delivers in ten years. At least the customer has a basis for making an educated decision. However, if said maker quotes a two-year delivery, and takes ten to deliver, that is a problem. And, that is one of the problems that Terry was referring to.

TT

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This topic has been totally plowed under the topsoil by a 20 mule team over on accurate reloading, hit the custom rifle section. Fun reading!!!

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UKdave

...I wanted a re barrel and was told 11 months, Im sorry but thats BS. Its a pretty harsh "correct" IMO view of the custom gun industry but will it have the affect of getting these idle smiths of there arses and bring some integrity to the industry?

If Echols told someone it was 11months for a re- barrel job, its most likely due to the fact that his shop already has the priority task of fulfilling complete rifle build orders already in process and possibly other previously booked re-barrel jobs.

as already stated, such top tier smiths are rarely idle.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Musta been a pretty crooked mauser to take that long to straighten. At 40 bucks an hour, 1600 bucks to straighten?? Buy a new rifle!

I am thinking you would have a tough time finding a top tier gunsmith that only charges $40/hour.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
When a restaurant is busy, you have to wait for a table.

Travis

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

PLUS,at least to me,a GOOD meal is worth the wait.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,390 guests, and 669 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.