Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Lots of them out there. What would you say is the largest gun store that you have visited that handles both new and used guns. My vote goes for Kittery Tradding Post in Maine. Fantastic selection on display of thousands that you can handle.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First Stop in Rapid has some pretty nice stuff

I bought a pistol not that long ago from Kittery Trading Post and had it shipped. Very friendly and shipped very fast

Life is just one damned thing after another
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The largest gun store I've ever visited is Whittaker Guns outside of Owensboro, KY. I'm fortunate to live just a few miles down the road from the shop. Whittaker's primary focus is guns and shooting. They may have a few other hunting/outdoor trinkets, but firearms is their business.

I've visited other shops in different parts on the country, but none larger. I'm sure larger shops exist -- I've just not seen them. They also have a huge selection of Dakota's, Cooper's and other high end firearms. You can walk down the isles and pick them up to handle at will.

www.whittakerguns.com

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One of the most impressive gun shops I have been to was in VA, some members on here told me about it when I was there for school, it's the Green Top Hunting and Fishing.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
grices in clearfield pa has a ton of guns. the shop is not huge but they pack them in. and they have a lot of used guns and even a scratch and dent section. they have an excellent selection of ammo and shooting supplies too. its the biggest i know about. prices are usually competitive too. they even get special runs of win and rems made just for them. some nice ones too.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Grice is one I'd like to visit. First Stop is on the list too.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Largest, and best are two seperate catagories as far as I'm concerned.

Largest, is a toss up. I've been in Ahlman's (near Mankato, MN) for example, on several ocassions. In fact I'll be there by the end of next week smile. I can spend an entire weekend there. Selection of new, or used firearms is overwhelming.

Best? Well, if you're ever in Livingston, MT, try Hallowell & Co. Not a huge selection - but you'll see examples of the finest firearms ever produced. I'm talkin' Guild-best, or owned by the likes of Teddy Roosevelt firearms. Makers like Griffin & Howe, Hoffman Arms, Westly Richards, James Purdy.
Don't expect to make a purchase -- unless you're loaded, or have backing -- but, your head will never be the same.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sometimes we just don't appreciate what we have next door, but that has never been a problem for me with having First Stop gun in Rapid City SD never more than 10 minutes away.The have allways treated me 1st class and have never seen them do less for others either. Magnum Man

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been traveling for living for several years (didn't start out with that intent). Outdooors activities -- read fishing, shooting, hunting -- have kept me grounded. Working G. Loomis rods on a Utah stream, feels the same as it does on a Michigan pond. Same for a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

Visiting gunshops has been a part of life for many years now.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like to look for small town Gun Stores.You never know what you will find in them and sometimes get your best deals in one.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Grice is one I'd like to visit. First Stop is on the list too.

If you come to Clearfield,Pa to Grices Gun Shop.
Be sure to get directions to the Grice Museum.
Loaded with classic cars and taxidermy.
http://www.gricemuseum.com/
Almost as good as the gunshop itself....

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been in Ahlman's

I grew up a few miles from there.......good place to see if you're going by. About twenty miles west of Faribault.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Collectors Firearms in Houston is good. Check them out on line.

They do trades and have a massive inventory of all types of guns.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like to look for small town Gun Stores.You never know what you will find in them and sometimes get your best deals in one.

It can work both ways - but I know what you mean.

Never forget the "pre-64 Model 70" I looked at after the owner of a Pawn shop in smalltown USA had extracted it from underneath the glass display case he so proudly had the rifle in. Bolt shroud, safety, bottom metal, stripper clip slot, thumb notch, all looked funny to me - it was quite the Mauchester. Priced somewhere in the stratosphere as I recall. "ough, wow, look at that", was all I bothered with.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I could spend an entire day at Collectors Firearms in Houston.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What...no mention of Wal-mart? grin

Last edited by PastorDan; 12/16/12.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've been to both First Stop, and Whittaker's. grin In my mind, I think First Stop has it on Whittaker's, because their reloading section is a lot better. Whittaker's reloading section is mighty thin, in comparison.
On guns, though, it's a toss-up, Whittaker's has a wide and deep selection of rifles, so does First Stop. Both have a large quantity of quality guns.

I'm not casting slurs on Whittaker's, by any means at all, and don't mean to imply any slurs, either. I get to Whittaker's whenever I can, which isn't often enough to suit me, and I've only been to First Stop once or twice. Nothing but good to say about the service in both shops.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wahunterinrok
One of the most impressive gun shops I have been to was in VA, some members on here told me about it when I was there for school, it's the Green Top Hunting and Fishing.

They've moved. It's in the old Gander Mountain building, which is much larger and newer.

The bad thing is they left the BBQ joint behind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First Stop is a first class operation. Knowledgeable sales staff, fair pricing and good selection. I've bought 8-10 guns from them and for a few years planned my hunts in Northeast Wyoming around visiting First Stop on my way home. They're a Cooper and Dakota Arms dealer that generally has several of each brand.

Last edited by JimR; 12/16/12.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I kind of like the Winchester store in Cody, Wy the best.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 39 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.