Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
The loads are accurate but slow, should I care?

I mainly shoot hand loads but decided on trying a few �factory� loads in my Tikka 25-06 just to see how well it shot them. The most accurate was Nosler�s �Custom� 25-06 100 gr. eTip. I shot several three shot groups with each easily covered with a quarter, but when I strapped on my Magneto Speed chronograph the ammo averaged was only 2850 fps, while the box claims 3200! I was surprised they were 350 fps slower!

I am using a new �Magneto Speed� chrony that up to now has given �expected� results with all my other guns. I would add I punched 2850 into my ballistic calculator and with a little turret twisting I easily steel hit out to 500 yards. So are the Noslers over rated? do I have a slow Tikka?

thanks

Ted
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
No way I would be satisfied giving up that much speed. First though, I'd check it another day and maybe also shoot some known loads to check for chrono accuracy that day.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Check some other loads and see how they do. Tiikas usually have some freebore and its not uncommon to see them 75fps slower than guns that don't have it. Then again even the new REMs are showing up w/plenty of freebore.
Re the etips...they are a tough bullet I wouldn't want to be impacting game under 2000fps...chart em out and see if they'd really be good for long range.
W/muzzle velocity at 2900 you dnt need premium bullets.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not a gun writer here.
Is your Tikka slow with your hand loads??
I hand load for everything I shoot.
While going thru the transition from purchased ammo to hand loads, I did a lot of chronographing. I found a lot of slow factory ammo--especially "Premium" ammo as compared to mfr claims and my hand loads.
I also found a couple hot ones that I could not match.
Basically I shoot what is accurate. Adjust poi for drop appropriate for the load.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Crank up some handloads and see if you can get to 3100 or better with equal groups. Otherwise take those factory loads and go kill stiff.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Of course there's always the saying, "A slow hit if better than a fast miss."

Bob257
7mm fan!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
May as well have a roberts?

THe only thing to me, will it do what you want it to, even if its throttled back? Some rounds we download on purpose. One of my 243s is an example, to keep the shots quieter arouund the deer lease. But I know I"m limited to say 200 yards and under then with that round.... instead of good to go to 400-500 yards.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by patbrennan
No way I would be satisfied giving up that much speed. First though, I'd check it another day and maybe also shoot some known loads to check for chrono accuracy that day.

Yep.

Then actually shoot this load at various ranges and see how it performs.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Closer to my handloaded 250 Savage, still a killer. But I'm only burning about 35 grains of powder to do it. grin

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Bob257
Of course there's always the saying, "A slow hit if better than a fast miss."

Excellent reply. Unless the OP is really stretching the distance it should be a non-issue.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interested in hearing what your handloads chronograph at too.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
You're gonna use ETip Custom loads to clang steel?

I'd check Nosler's site and see what the min speed is for proper expansion of that projectile then reference your chart again to see if it'll work for you.

I am pretty sure I wouldn't care for a monometal starting that low myself. If it were a BT we were talkin, I'd say what others have said... roll with it...

Of course if it appears your rifle likes that projectile you could always buy some and load em hotter?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
How much have you used the Magneto Speed?

I've chronographed quite a few Nosler factory loads and they've always been pretty close to advertised velocities.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could be killing all sorts of four legged game for the next fifty years and not be able to tell the difference. Heck lots of guys do just that!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
sometimes im glad i dont own a chronograph. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experience with Nosler load is that they are pretty stiff for factory stuff.

I'd re-chrono sometime before abandoning the load.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
sometimes im glad i dont own a chronograph. smile

Sometimes very true. Thems chronys are a double edged sword. Cloudy, sunny or half /half days make you say What The #*!!.
Always take stated fps with a grain of salt. But I agree 350 fps is on the extreme side. Shoot some premium 22s thru it to get a yardstick idea.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot those loads at 300 yards, or even 400 with a 2" high POI at 100 and see what happens....my chronograph has about 2" of dust on it.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old Willys, any info to share on the speed your handloads achieve?

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The original question can only be answered by you.

I bought a Rem SS Mt rifle in 1992 after I got into the real world. I really liked that rifle, learned to reload with it, ran many rounds through the barrel. I always loaded for accuracy and went hunting. Had to guess at velocity.

Well, I finally bought a chronograph in the late 90's and was disappointed to learn that all my loads that were close to max, were running 150-200fps slower that they should have been.

Then I got to thinking, so what. I had killed piles of game with those loads. The rifle has since been rebarreled due to being shot out. It now runs bullets in the velocity range that a 270 should.

The last few years, I use the chronograph to verify that velocities are in the range they should be. I go out and shoot my loads to see where the impact is at extended ranges.

Arcus Venator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.