Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I just ordered a new 7mm-08 and was thinking of what loads to start with, I am not a handloader. I have had good accuracy results with the new Federal loads using the Nosler solid base bullet and also with Hornady Custom loads in other rifles. My question is: Is there a difference in the Solid Base vs the Interlock in regards to terminal performance? At this point, this will be a deer/antelope rifle for my 13 year old son. Is 140 grain slugs the best weight for this cartridge, there are custom loaders around that will make up other bullet weights for me, if there is something better than 140s. I appreciate all insights. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I load the hornady inter-lock spire points, flat base bullets with good results on deer. really, you do not need premium, super-tough, bullets for deer. my kids have killed 5 deer, all one shot, with the rem green box psp bullets (not even core-lokt) with the 250-3000.

I kinda like the idea of 120 hollow points in the 7mm-08 for a young hunter.

If you get someone to load for you, use CAUTION. You will not know what went into those loads and how much attention they were paying when they loaded them. You will need a chronograph to make sure they are safe. Handloading is not difficult (you should give it a try) just detailed .

I also like Nosler Partitions, they are my favorite "premiun" bullet but use the hornadys more often.

Good luck.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If I didn't handload I would never spend the money on premium ammo. My buddies and I have killed more game than I can count with Remington PSP corelokt ammo.

Premium is only premium if it is set up for your rifle, and that is impossible with factory ammo. They use a weight and charge that they deem safe and usable for most factory guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot 140 gr. Barnes Xs in my .280 and .284. They have worked extremely well on every animal I have shot.

I would load the 120 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips for a 13 year old hunting deer/antelope. Less recoil, less bullet drop, while maintaining excellent bullet performance. I agree the 140 gr. is the best overall bullet weight but the 120 will "get er done" with plenty to spare.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If you are going to shoot factory ammuntion out of that 7/08, shoot both those offereings, and then choose whichever shot best for you. At the speeds delivered by that cartridge, a premium projectile (X bullet, partition, A Frame, scirocco, etc.) ins't necessary from 139 grains of bullet and up.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't clear about custom loaders, I was referring to places like Superior Ammo in S.D., whose ammo I have used a number of times. They do a great job, but you get what you pay for, in that the ammo costs sometimes twice what factory ammo does.

I have used the Nosler Partition in 150 grain weight with good results for several years in my .280, just curious as to the thoughts of the Solid Base and Interlock from the 7mm-08 as it generates a little less velocity. I figured that the standard bullets would probably work just fine in that application but didn't know if there was much difference between the two bullets.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
duckster-to your question, they will both do just fine for your son. If he does his part they will do theirs. I seriously doubt that there is a lick of difference between them.

Good luck

MD

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have used both those bullets a lot on deer and antelope, and they perform very similarly, with good expansion and decent penetration.

Of course, I used the Solid Base a lot back when it was previously made--but assume the "new" Solid Bases will perform similarly to the old. They are both very fine deer bullets, especially at 7mm-08 velocities.

MD

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the responses. That is what I like about this forum, people who respond generally know what they are speaking about, unlike a few forums that I have visited where the most common response starts with "well, I have never actually done _____, but if I did .....". Thanks guys

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Is the Solid Base as explosive in its expansion as the Ballistic Tip? I have had some good accuracy with the BT in a couple of rifles, but have not shot any game with them, due to the stories about expansion and separation that I have read and seen on the 'net. I had complete jacket/core separation with a Sierra Gameking this fall on a average size black bear, so if a bullet is more explosive than that, I don't want it.

I have shot a couple of large deer with the Hornady Interlock BTSP in .257 without any problems. Usually complete penetration on broadside shots.

I prefer a chest/lung shot over the shoulder shot, so overall I don't ask the bullet to do too much.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If all you want is heart/lung shots, either the Ballistic Tip or the Solid Base should work fine. I have killed a lot of whitetails with the ballistic tip, they are not for shoulder shots but neither is most of the cup/core type of bullet as you have found. I used the solid base bullets until they were discontinued. Found them again last year and that is all I hunted with, took seven does and one buck without a problem. Bullet placement is far more important. A poorly placed bullet of any type through any caliber yields the same result.Rick.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Well, I bought a box of 140 grain Solid Base, so I will be giving them a try. If the accuracy is good, that will probably be the deer load for this year.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.