Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sizmic Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have a model 70 #543XX range that I am a little confused about. It is chambered in 270. Some data says it was manufactured in 1946. Then I read that the transition models were somewhat similar. It does have stripper clip slots. It also has the recessd rear bridge, however, it is drilled with 4 holes in a star pattern. The really confusing thing is the safety, it is 3 positon but retains the bolt, firing pin shroud of the pre war. The bolt is serialed to the rifle. The barrel looks way better than the rest of the gun, bottom metal very faded. There was some talk that the Marines bought a lot of 70's after the war and it sounded like this serial # could've been one of them. I can't find anything specific though. I'm not really worried about the value as much as the history as I will be keeping for heirloom. Can anyone help?

Sizmic

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you have THE RIFLEMAN'S RIFLE book ?

OOP and will cost you, but it's THE reference on 70s.

Might have been back to the factory for work, or may be a gun built from parts.

The value of some 70s got so nuts that fakes abound.

Detailed pics would help the folks here who really know 70s help you.
Detailed means high quality, well lighted and a lot of them.

Last issue of Rifleman had an article by Senich that pretty well put the "military model 70" myths to bed.

Good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sizmic
I have a model 70 #543XX range that I am a little confused about. It is chambered in 270. Some data says it was manufactured in 1946. Then I read that the transition models were somewhat similar. It does have stripper clip slots. It also has the recessd rear bridge, however, it is drilled with 4 holes in a star pattern. The really confusing thing is the safety, it is 3 positon but retains the bolt, firing pin shroud of the pre war. The bolt is serialed to the rifle. The barrel looks way better than the rest of the gun, bottom metal very faded. There was some talk that the Marines bought a lot of 70's after the war and it sounded like this serial # could've been one of them. I can't find anything specific though. I'm not really worried about the value as much as the history as I will be keeping for heirloom. Can anyone help?

Sizmic

I believe that SN 54,914 was produced on January 24, 1946. Winchester stopped recording SN's during the war and stopped at SN 52,548 in November 1942, and didn't resume until 1946.

The holes most likely were drilled by someone other than the factory, and the safety could have been changed as well. The barrel would be stamped on the underside as to the year it was made. That would give you an indication if the rifle had been re-barreled. Is the front sight integral to the barrel?

S
Sizmic Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The front sight is fixed to the barrel with stippling on the ramp. The rear sight is folding leaf. Not in front of me at the moment, I will definately check barrel date.

Wish I had pictures to post but not sure how to make that work.

Sizmic

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sign on to www.photobucket.com

Posting pics is a piece of cake.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sizmic
The front sight is fixed to the barrel with stippling on the ramp. The rear sight is folding leaf. Not in front of me at the moment, I will definately check barrel date.

Wish I had pictures to post but not sure how to make that work.

Sizmic

When you say the front sight is fixed to the barrel is that soldered on or integral to the barrel? The folding leaf rear sight was not common until around 1952 and the Monte Carlo comb.

S
Sizmic Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The front sight does not have any screws in it unless they are under the blade, so , I assume it is soldered.

Sizmic

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Front sight base is machined with the barrel.

A lot of mix and match parts during the transition.

Sounds like you might have a Tilden safety if the bolt shroud
has the flat on top and direction arrow. They were a factory option
or could be installed after purchase. They are L-shaped with a rounded outer radius.

Pre-war M70's are very nice rifles.

S
Sizmic Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It is flat and has the fire arrow, the tilden as you describe sounds like what I have, was it standard on super grades.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think so. Most Super Grade pre-war rifles came with
the pre-war safety.

I think that the big W got the hint and revamped the safety.

You can Google image pre-war transition safety to see what it looked like.

The second change to the safety is pretty much what we have today.

Winchester did use some of the pre-war safeties and shrouds on transition
guns to utilize the parts.

Last edited by 30Gibbs; 06/02/11.
IC B3

S
Sizmic Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Checked the bottom of the barrel, it says, 270 53. The sight is integral. The inside of the trigger guard says "AM" or "AW". Thanks for all the responses.

Sizmic

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a copy of Roger Rule's book.

Feel free to PM with a laundry list of questions and I'll get back to you.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I believe USMC used Winchester M70s in 30-06 during the
Vietnam War.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 79S, 673, 14 invisible), 1,673 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,188
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.