Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My rifles in caliber 6.5x55 shoot better with 120gr bullets than with 140gr bullets in my handloads. I prefer the 140gr bullets for their superior penetration and on-game performance. It is a case of the rifle preferring a different bullet than I want to use. To date the powders I have tried include H4350 and H4831. My loading manuals claim velocities with these powders a bit under 2600 fps in sporter length barrels (22"). I have heard of people getting higher velocity with H1000, which is a slower powder, and of the phenomenon of "dual pressure peaks." I am curious about the accuracy of this and other slower powders in the 6.5x55. My loads kill deer fine but if enough people of good reputation report much improved accuracy with the slower powders, it will prompt me to try them. I am hesitant to do so only because I like to keep my reloading practices as simple as possible, and limiting powder selection is one of those measures.

So please talk to me about your handloads in this caliber and the accuracy you are experiencing, particularly how the slower powders compare with H4350 in the accuracy department. Thank you.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer (John Barsness) listed H-4831 and RL-22 as the powders to try with 140 gr bullets for .260 Rem and 6.5x55 in his article "Update: Handloads That Work" in Handloader magazine Issue #231 (October-November 2004). You might try to find a copy of that article to see his load recommendations (powder weight).

For the experts, it might help if they knew what rifles (and barrels if not the factory barrels) you are using (could twist rate be a factor? - probably not, but might be a factor).

Might also help if people knew what type of bullets you had tried in the two weights.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Ramshot's data shows a 140-gr Partition going a little under 2800 fps at about 55kpsi using Magnum powder. 24" barrel, IIRC.

I do not know what twist would be required for 140-gr bullets of various types. Berger lists minimum twist rates for their bullets, and the VLD types are probably longer for weight than other jacketed lead core bullets, such as Partitions, so a slower twist might be OK for shorter ones.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
MD also recommended H-1000 for my 6.5-06 and 140's, and that combination shoots lights out for accuracy and velocity. Best accuracy is at the top end for my rifle.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
47/48gr of R22 with the Hornady SP has shot very well for me in 3 different Swedes.
This is a warm load and should be worked up to in modern rifles. Velocity has ran right at or just over 2700 fps from 22"-24" bbls.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your rifle prefers 120 grain bullets, why not go with the
Barnes Tipped TSX in 120 grain, or split the difference with their 127 gr LRX? Just a thought.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
While H4831SC and RL-22 sure work in most 6.5x55's with 140's, since I did the update of "Loads That Work" I've tried Ramshot Magnum, a powder Marlin1895 mentioned as a possible.

Magnum is a very slow-burning ball powder, so fits well in cases where powder space might be little tight. Ramshot lists maximum loads from 49.8 to 51.6 grains with 3 different 140-grain bullets for muzzle velocities between 2712 and 2778 fps from a 24" barrel--at around 55,000 psi, as Marlin1895 mentioned.

I load 50 grains with the 140-grain Nosler Partition in my custom FN Mauser with a 21" Lilja barrel. It groups 3 shots into 3/4" or less at 100 yards at just under 2700 fps, even from the relatively short barrel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all.

I have 3 rifles in this caliber, all Rugers: two M77MkIIs and a #1A Lipsey special. They all do about 3-4 inches for 3 shots at 200 yards with 44gr of H4350 and either 140gr Hornady interlocks or Sierra boattails. Going up to 45gr gives measureable CHE which is a price I am not willing to pay. Accuracy and long case life is my bag. All of my Ruger 7x57s print 3 shots under 3 inches at 300 yards, and I would like that level of accuracy in my 6.5s as well if I can get it. The 7x57s are the same mix of rifles except one of the M77s is an older tang-safety model whos action is epoxy bedded. Maybe the 6.5s want their actions bedded too, I don't know. I don't think it would hurt, but I admit to being a little apprehensive about doing it. I would hate to glue them together permanently. I tried pressure bedding the forend of one of the 6.5s and it responded well, but I would prefer free-floated barrels if I can make them shoot, particularly in the wood stocks. I wouldn't be as concerned about forend pressure in a good synthetic handle, but they cost more than I paid for the rifles, and i prefer the looks of walnut to fiberglass and kevlar.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AggieDog
If your rifle prefers 120 grain bullets, why not go with the
Barnes Tipped TSX in 120 grain, or split the difference with their 127 gr LRX? Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion, AggieDog. I would really love to try some 100gr Barnes TTSX in my 6.5s but I just can't bring myself to pay the price. A box of fifty 6.5mm TTSX costs about $37. I can buy a box of 100 Speer, Hornady, or Sierras for under $25. I look at the Barnes bullets every time I go to buy bullets but I just cannot do it. Guess I'm a cheap bastid. Randy and Connie are just gonna have to make their retirement off someone else. I don't doubt they are fine bullets. In fact, I was really excited when the TTSX came out and was one of the first on the 'fire to post about them. I have actually used a few in my 300 RUM and 30-378 mag, and they shot really well, but I only used them because of the light speed of those calibers and their tendency to make mere mortal bullets splash like a raindrop.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
So you haven't tried free-floating the barrels on the 77's? In my experience they shoot better floated. I had a 6.5x55 Mark II that was VERY accurate with the barrel floated. Killed a lot of game with it, including one pronghorn at almost 400 yards, then sold it to a friend of Karnis's and have kind of regretted it since.

You can temporary-test a wood-stocked 77 by putting a spacer inside the stock behind the recoil lug. A plastic bread-bag twist-closer usually works great.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks John. Yes, I did try free-floating on one of the rifles, which is where it is right now. This is the one that gives about 3 inch groups at 200 yards. Haven't tried it on the other yet. Sorry if I didn't enumerate that very clearly. The floated one has a really nice trigger. I am one scope short so haven't shot the non-floated one much yet, if at all, since I got it from my buddy. I swapped scopes and springs and stuff around between these rifles so I'm not absolutely sure. I think I took the stock off the one I got from my buddy and put it on the one I bought new (with the good trigger) because it was prettier wood. Anyway, the one I've been shooting lately has the nicer wood, better trigger, and Leupold 2-7x33. The only scopes I have left (not mounted on rifles) are 4Xs. They will do for hunting but aren't ideal for testing rifle accuracy at 200 or 300 yards. Guess I'll have to break down and find the money for another scope. I'm on a mission to make all my rifles hunt-ready so once I get a rifle shooting the way I want and get the scope zeroed the way I want, I'm hesitant to take it off just to test another rifle. For a while I did have a scope dedicated to the task (Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40), but it is now mounted and zeroed on my pretty Mark X 30-06. I've stooped so low as to mount a Japanese scope (Bushnel Scope Chief 2.5-8x I think) on one of my American-made Rugers in 7x57. I hope the rifle forgives me of this sin. grin

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I don't have any Ramshot Magnum powder but I do have a couple pounds of Retumbo leftover from my RUM days. Retumbo sits right next to Magnum in Hodgdon's burn rate chart, so its gotta be close. Magnum sits between Retumbo (slower) and H1000 (faster). It seems unusual that such slow powders work in this size case, but the bore is relatively small and 140gr bullets rather heavy for caliber. Problem is I find no loading data for Retumbo in the 6.5x55 so I'll be flying solo in uncharted airspace. Should be OK to start with 50gr if it will fit in the case. I can get a lot more stick powder in a case by trickling it with a little vibration applied, and I don't mind compressing stick powders a bit. We'll see how it works out.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I doubt you'll get very far with Retumbo and 140's. Nosler lists 52.0 grains of H1000 as maximum, and shows it as 108% of load capacity. That's why Magnum works so well: You can get more in a case.

All of the suggested powders may have lot-to-lot variations, though H4831 tends to be pretty consistent. Nosler also shows 51.5 grains of Magnum as maximum, for 2597 fps from a 23" barrel. My rifle beats that by close to 100 fps with only 50 grains from a 21" barrel.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You gunwriters get all the magic guns. wink

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
And the fast batches of powder!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reloder 22 has been the powder to beat in my 6.5x55. Even though it's not known for stellar lot-to-lot consistency or for temperature resistance, it's been the most consistently accurate powder for me. Ramshot Magnum is also a good choice.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This may help with my problem of getting the 140 NP to shoot in my Ruger Swede...I have not tried the Magnum load ? I will by this weekend!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I had excellent luck with Magnum and 140's in a Ruger 77 Mark II 6.5x55 I had for a while. It was a VERY accurate rifle, and the Ramshot loads got around 2750 from 140's in the 22" barrel. Don't remember which bullet I tried--that was a few years ago!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well all I ever had to do to get good accuracy out of the 6.5 x55's that I owned. I still have one. Is just fill with RL-22 Load a bullet didn't matter if the bullet was a 120 or any of the others up to 160 gr and I just shot and killed stuff. Work up to around 47 to 48 gr with a 140 gr bullet. Like John Said about the Ruger M-77's I had one too and once I did and bedding job and floated the barrel it was inaccurate enough to get me banned from the local turkey shoots. When ever I wanted to shoot for money I shot that rifle, and what ever 140 gr bullet mostly Hornady or Speer SP's over RL-22. I once with a box of 156 gr Norma loads put 20 into a 1 inch circle with some room to spare because a loud mouth said A. Ruger Rifles are inaccurate and crap, and B. I could not do it. It cost him 5 dollars for ever shot that when into an inch or less, or it would cost me 5 dollars a shot if it didn't . Easiest 200 dollars I ever made. These days I am more prone to shoot a good 120 gr bullet out of my current 6.5 x 55.

Last edited by gmsemel; 04/17/12.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big Red - my K1A shot 1.1" at 200 yds for (3) 130 ABs/45.5 H4350.

Also did 3/4 MOA or better using 47/RL22, 140 Amax, Lapua, std. caps.

Good shooting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
764 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 90 invisible), 3,034 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.