Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
dukxdog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have owned several Safari grade rifles over the years. All have been pre-salt wood guns. I have found a 1968 Medallion grade that the owner sent me photos of. I saw some rust in the photo of the crossbolts. He took the action out of the stock and says there is no rusting on either the action or the barrel.
Is it possible to buy Silver Nitrate to test the wood? Where would I be able to get a small amount? I remember using it in chemistry class during HS.
Thanks.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Eastman's book tells us to look for salt starting with 1965 production Brownings (all kinds), through 1976. I have had several that did not show salt, BUT I had an Olympian made in the early 70s, that it did not become apparent on until about 2000. Also got burned on a couple of Superposed, except that I did have the warranty cards for them and Browning eventually refinished the metal and replaced the wood.

If I am not confused, silver nitrate is used medically, so it should be available at or through a pharmacy. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Silver Nitrate on sticks are use for cauterizing wounds inside the mouth. Ask a Pharmacist if you can buy them.

My understanding of Brownings with Salt Wood had their Stocks replaced by Browning at no cost. The rifle your considering may have originally had Salt Wood that was replaced by Browning.

Since salt in so corrosive and difficult to completely remove you should consider not buying this rifle.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 09/26/12.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a Browning T Bolt Deluxe that I bought new in 1972.Last year the salt attacked with a vengeance.I did not realize that The salt problem was in all Browning rifles and shotguns.Any way I have the Box ,sales receipt, and I had sent in the warranty card.I got nothing from Browning.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Huntz
I have a Browning T Bolt Deluxe that I bought new in 1972.Last year the salt attacked with a vengeance.I did not realize that The salt problem was in all Browning rifles and shotguns.Any way I have the Box ,sales receipt, and I had sent in the warranty card.I got nothing from Browning.

The Browning Company now is not the same Browning Company back in 1972. Different owners today. I doubt anybody who worked for Browning in 1972 is still on payroll.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 09/28/12.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think idaho has it pegged. FN used to make stuff for Browning to sell, As I understand it, FN now owns Browning, and if they tell you anything, it will be that that are a separate entity and that they own the name, and not the liability.

jack

Last edited by jt402; 09/28/12.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Silver Nitrate on sticks are use for cauterizing wounds inside the mouth. Ask a Pharmacist if you can buy them.

My understanding of Brownings with Salt Wood had their Stocks replaced by Browning at no cost. The rifle your considering may have originally had Salt Wood that was replaced by Browning.

Since salt in so corrosive and difficult to completely remove you should consider not buying this rifle.

Browning has never replaced rifle stocks for free, they only replaced wood and refinished Superposed shotguns that came with a lifetime warranty to the original owner (and require proof to do that). Art's Gun Shop in Arnold, Mo., still does alot/most of this work for Browning.

With rust around the cross bolts, you have a salt wood gun. Good advice to avoid, as you can't stop it and it will get worse (experience here).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

630 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,254
Posts18,448,097
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.