Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
spj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Well my trusty Lee Auto Prime finally gave up the ghost and the pot metal piece that drives the piston broke. It appears that the part is not available. When I took a look at some newer options at Miday the reviews didn't inspire confidence. Using my T7 for now but miss hand priming. Any advice on a new option?

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A Dillon 550B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The new lee works well, I have had two for a year or so, and no problems, I guess I have done 3000 to 4000 primers in that time. Mix of everything, large small rifle pistol.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, just recently picked up a Sinclair handprimer on the recommendation of a fire member. Expensive, but all steel quality, lots of leverage, good feel and you would have to work to break it. Should have bought one years ago.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Bench mounted RCBS....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, that's the Rolex of hand held tools. Another very good one, and less expensive, is the one from K&M that is also all steel with no castings or pot metal junk.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have one of the new Lee square tray hand primers. It in my opinion is not nearly as good as the old style. I sure would not buy another.

NRA Patron
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don't know how it rates to some of the other units recomended here but I have really enjoyed my RCBS hand primer (the older, non-universal model). If I upgrade I will take a look at the Sinclair.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use the RCBS hand primer with the universal shell holder. Works great on everything from 45-70 to 30 Carbine, which is about the largest and smallest rims you'll see.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With the sinclair unit being a single prime unit how inconvenient is it to have to load a new primer in every time. How time eficient are they in actual use?

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Buy another Lee.

I too, had a Lee Priming tool(older round tray type) that broke in the same way yours did but it lasted for years and was the easiest, most user friendly tool I've ever used.

I just bought a new one and then had somebody give me a new one that they decided they didn't like. To each his own, I now have two new Lee priming tools and they work wonderfully. I'm set for many years to come.

Leftybolt

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the Sinclair and bought different heads to hold the shell holder. Great hand primer!

Bob257
7mm fan!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hand priming is like a "hand job", there are more pleasant alternatives.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lee Precision discontinued the old standby Auto-Prime, and replaced it with the Auto-Prime XR. The primer tray is now square shaped (to mimick primer boxes, and a welcome improvement in my opinion). The lever is still thumb-operated, but shaped a little different.

Lee also now makes the Ergo-Prime, which is all metal, and the lever is operated by the user's fingers. They're a lot more money (over $40.00 vs $25.00 for the XR), but look to be high quality, and I like the concept of fingers doin' the flexing, instead of the thumb.

My next mail order of components, I'm getting one. That'll tell the story.

[color:#FF0000]Lee Precision Ergo Prime[/color]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've been Lee hand priming tools since shortly after they were introduced quite a few years ago. Eventually bought two so one could remain set-up for large primers and one for small. Back then the connector rod broke frequently, but Lee soon replaced it with a tougher model. They sent me the new models when the old ones broke, free, and they've lasted ever since, for hundreds of thousands of primers.

Kinda hated to switch brands because I have so many shell-holders, but eventually found Lee doesn't make shell-holders for some oddball rounds, and I ended up loading some oddballs. Got one of the RCBS priming tools that use the plastic strips, with the universal shell-holder, and use that when there's no Lee shell-holder for an oddball case.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm confused.

Is it the Auto Prime XR that folks are reporting problems with, or the Ergo Prime?

The Ergo looks like a nice rig.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was debating on doing a Hunt brother's type attempt at monopolizing a different kind of silver - Lee Auto Primes. Decided to try the new one(s), just 'cause.

I have two as well, one at "home" (which I rarely see), and one that bounces around with me. Other than one of the plastic tangs that secure the lid breaking, I've never had a hiccup. Now, I don't pretend to do your volume, but I load quite a bit - so, figure they've proven their worth.

I can't find an answer on Lee's site as to wheter my current shellholders (for the Auto-Prime), will work in either the XR, or the Ergo. I'm gunna call 'em and ask.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't heard of anybody even using (or knowing about) the Ergo-Prime.

I also read all the negative reviews for the old Auto-Prime, and simply don't agree. As Mule Deer points out, shellholders can be a pain, but I just bought the full set (actually two full sets), and they me back about $11.00/pr set as I recall.

I spill more whiskey than that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Assuming you get to use enough of them, they're a heckuva lot cheaper by the set.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had an auto-prime for years but don't use it that much nowadays because of hearing about them wearing out and breaking. About ten years ago I got a couple Lee Ram-Primes that I use on my secondary press; a Lee Reloader press that's reserved for depriming or other odd jobs. Now those Ram-Primes have really grown on me. My only complaint is that I find it a pain to switch primer size, which is why I now have two. They're sweet and inexpensive but does Lee still make them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (308ld, 375sunrise, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 12 invisible), 1,141 guests, and 503 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,444
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.