Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wondering if you ever did a sxs test of single stage presses like the Co Ax, Rockchucker, Summit, or Redding T7 for example?

Maybe compare runout, mechanical strength/advantage, ease of use etc.

I have an old Rockchucker but I am itching to try something new and have my eye on a Co Ax or really change things up with a T7

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm not M.D. and I don't claim to know much. What I do know is that you should look very hard at the Co Ax. I say that because I've used one for a very long time(think 1970 or so)and I've still not found anything to complain about. I've also used the RCBS Rockchucker and still do. It's OK too. But, the Co-Ax is so easy to use. I also like the primer seating set up and the primer catcher. As far as run out is concerned, if all thing are equal, I see no measurable difference. The down side is it's expensive.

Last edited by super T; 03/16/17.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not really, but am thinking of trying a Co-Ax after all the good things heard about them. But have been using a T7 for over a decade now, often as a semi-progressive, and with Redding Competition dies it cranks out 6mm PPC's that average about .0005" bullet run-out.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I am curious as well, I am still using a Lee aluminum press. Had it for almost 30 years now with no complaints. The hinges on the lever are starting to wear, even with grease so might be time for a new press. I'm a bit of a Luddite, have a powder measure new in the box and I still measure each load by hand on the old 505 scale..

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My Rock Chucker is 40 years old. Loaded lots of rounds with it. It will take me out.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I love my Co-Ax. I've got a rock chucker sitting right beside it and use the co-ax most of the time. There are some things that I prefer doing on the rock chucker though. If I'm using a lee collet die then that gets used on the rock chucker. Also the co-ax doesn't handle really long cartridges that well so they go through the rock chucker.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm feeling ready to replace the single-stage Pacific press I got in 1974. Leaning toward a T-7 but maybe a Co-ax. Buddy of mine once had a Co-ax and it was NICE.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've been very happy with my Redding Big Boss using Redding dies. It works very well.

Pistol cartridges get loaded on my Hornady LNL progressive.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rock Chucker since 1972 will never change

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Likewise use my Co-Ax most of the time. It is not so great with big rimmed cases, like .45-90, .50-110, etc. But I also have a Redding Ultramag for those. Also have a T7. At some point I will add the Hornady LNL AP for pistol ammo.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Wondering if you ever did a sxs test of single stage presses like the Co Ax, Rockchucker, Summit, or Redding T7 for example?

I know I'm obtuse; but, what is "a (sic) sxs test"?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I really like my Lee Classic Cast.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

I know I'm obtuse; but, what is "a (sic) sxs test"?

"sxs" = side by side..........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you PaleRider.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bea175
Rock Chucker since 1972 will never change

I've had mine since '96 ?, It does everything I need very well. I really like the inside height for 8 RM--375HH length cases.

Yes the spent primer catcher could be designed better, but t's easy to remove and empty.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 03/17/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have an early Rockchucker, early enough that it has the bicycle finger-groove type handle (late 60s?). I bought it used about 1990.

Somewhere close to a decade ago, I decided to "upgrade" to the Co-Ax when they came out with the longer yoke model that will work with Comp dies. It went on the bench beside the Rockchucker. At about the same time I bought the Sinclair concentricity indicator tool.

Long story short, the Rockchucker makes ammo every bit as straight as the Co-Ax. Checked with the Sinclair concentricity tool, they both will make ammo as straight as the components. They both will make "0" run-out ammo using Comp dies and prepped brass.

I prefer the Rockchucker due to it being faster. I moved into a new house about 18 months ago. The Rockchucker was set up ASAP, the Co-Ax is still on a shelf under the bench.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
RickF, I have the same bicycle type handle. After researching the Co Ax and examining my needs I decided to keep what I have. I am going to change the handle out to one of these:

https://inlinefabrication.com/colle...age-rc-i-and-the-rc-ii-models-ergo-style

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
RickF, I have the same bicycle type handle. After researching the Co Ax and examining my needs I decided to keep what I have. I am going to change the handle out to one of these:

https://inlinefabrication.com/colle...age-rc-i-and-the-rc-ii-models-ergo-style

Wow....gotta have one! Thanks for posting.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought Co-Ax was cable you plugged into the TV...

seriously, never heard of a Co-Ax press.

Been using a rockchucker since ~1987 or so. (when I was 14)

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.