-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Anyone know of a replacement stock for the .375 Alaskan? Love the gun, hate the stock.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I bought a Boyds laminate for mine but am having second thoughts; might go Mcm before it is all said and done. Love the rifle.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Can you get a wood factory African model stock and shorten forend and bed it?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That would be my choice, but I would have bought the African to begin with, or a Kimber Caprivi.

Krummarine, what is it about the Boyds laminate that you don't like? After thinning them down some, especially through the grip area, I like my two a lot. Nice looking, warm to the touch, QUIET in heavy brush and cover (unlike most synthetics I have seen) and stable/strong/reliable x 10.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
WEll, I put it on my 338 RCM so I guess I like it enough. Am holding out for a Mcmillan or even another Hogue for the 375. If I ever do get to Alaska, just not certain how a laminate would hold up.
Originally Posted by safariman
That would be my choice, but I would have bought the African to begin with, or a Kimber Caprivi.

Krummarine, what is it about the Boyds laminate that you don't like? After thinning them down some, especially through the grip area, I like my two a lot. Nice looking, warm to the touch, QUIET in heavy brush and cover (unlike most synthetics I have seen) and stable/strong/reliable x 10.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With a coat of turtle wax car wax over the top and under the recoil pad, in the barrel channel, action recesses etc. they do just fine. My two might have done OK without that, but I am a fan of over engineering and over pretecting ones gear. Laminates are pretty darned waterproof right from momma, the pressure and heat impregnated glues used in the process filling and sealing all of the wood pores pretty well, which is why they are heavier than plain wood. Add a layer of paste wax over the top of that, and they are rock soild IME. Even just well finished Walnut is more impervious to water than most people think, and especially with said coat of wax over it with care and attention given to the area under the recoil pad, in the action area and the barrel channel.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is probably the quickest and cheapest way to "improve" the Hogue stock

[Linked Image]

but a standard Ruger long action synthetic stock from Brownells can be had for $65 and they work very well. You can also easily fit and older canoe paddle stock.

You also could probably fit any LA Ruger wood stock and bed it correctly. You have to do that to the African stock as well or they will split.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I'm not a real big fan of laminated stocks for heavy recoiling calibers unless the mag box is reinforced and with pillars, cross bolts AND an aluminum bedding block for the recoil lug AND cross bolt to go through...I've had two different laminated stocks crack/separate between the lams in blind magazine mag wells. I tend to "over engineer" also, plus like a little bit of extra weight.

It was a simple matter to box in with steel epoxy, 0.040" steel shims and pressure squeeze epoxy into the lams, but the repair is obvious even tho the color of the epoxy is almost exactly the same. No problems after the repair/reinforcement.

It can be even worse in an open mag as the side walls flex with recoil. All the pillar bedding or cross bolting in the world doesn't do squat to thin side walls.

Making sure the side walls and mag bottom are at least 3/8" thick AND boxing in the mag well will help eliminate, but NOT totally stop, flexing in that area. The best way to solve that problem is to have a full length alum bedding block to begin with.

I've used many Boyd's stocks over the many years...usually just plain walnut, classic or thumbhole. They are easy to finish and today are available with very nice lazer checkering.

I have NEVER HAD ANY factory or aftermarket stock that didn't need some "tuning up", but my last Savage accustock was pretty close to perfect right out of the box. Things have really changed for the good over the years. grin

T
T
Do you have a part number handy for the Ruger long action stock (for the Alaskan) from Brownell's?

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

718 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,428 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.