-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Posting this so as to not hi-jack the other .375 thread.

I have read over and over on this site and others, tales of the ferocious recoil of the .378 Weatherby....... "worse than either the .416 Bee or the .460 Bee", etc, etc.

I have a .375 Bee in a rifle that goes 8.5 lbs all up. Have shot both 250's @ 3060 fps (my pet load) and 300's @ the standard 2800 (plus a little).

From those of you who have shot both..... how much REAL WORLD difference is there between my .375 and, say, an off the shelf MK V Deluxe .378 ??? Just curious.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
the .378 is a pretty big step up from the .375 WBY, in both recoil and velocity.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If it hits worse than my .416 Rigby at 10#, no thanks from me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ITS noticeable!
(below Im reposting an old post)

most of my friends say the 375 wby kicks like a mule, but its potentially possible to shoot it ,if your partly insane.
but the joke about the 378wby I built among my friends is it recoils so bad its instantly slapped your shoulder back 10" before your can even flinch! and only a certified masochist would shoot it twice.
have you ever built a custom rifle , made to exactly your dream specs only to find its not exactly what you thought it might be?
if you've got a good job where you can afford to blow some cash on toys and your into heavy caliber rifles...well I had a dream of building the ultimate elk hammering rifle back several years ago.., so I decided to build exactly what I wanted...
, I ordered a spare fibermark weatherby synthetic stock for my 340 wby rifle and a 378 wby barreled action, and after doing some rather extensive bedding, modifications, because of the additional forward recoil lug on the 378wby barreled action, and strengthening the stock work with two large pillar bed inserts and drilling the stock wrist area from the butt too the rear of the action so I could insert custom bent section of 5/8" thread rod coated with a great deal of epoxy bedding compound to both add a bit of weight and rigidity to the stock, and adding two 1/4" thread rod sections to the forearm area with a good deal more bedding compound behind the forward barrel mount, recoil lug to the bedding in the stocks forward in-letting and modifying it to fit the extra recoil lug the 378 wby action has, plus two cross bolts epoxied into the stock , one on both ends of the action bedding ,and adding a 2.5x Leopold scope, and a thick recoil pad I had one really powerful rifle that weighted about 9.25 lbs .
the rifles a bit heavy, at about 10 lbs plus with the scope, but you really appreciate the weight as any lighter would just make the recoil even more noticeable.
Ive easily got about $1900 in this rifle,(in 1990 dollars) before the scope or scope mounts, bi-pod or sling were added. but thats a screaming bargain compared to the $3000 weatherby wanted for a similar custom synthetic stocked, and bedded, 378 wby when I inquired at that time.

Now its both extremely accurate ( 1"-1.2" 3 shot groups off the bench at 100 yards are common) and...yes it kicks like a mule,...felt recoil exceeds my 458 mag,by a noticeable amount. but if you absolutely want to knock an elk or any other large game silly at long rang,this tends to get their attention!
theres absolutely no need for this level of power to be used on ELK or MOOSE, but if your into powerful long range rifles its both impressive and very effective.
its one of those times where you get almost too much of a good thing, it absolutely hammers elk with hornady 300 grain boat tail bullets, loaded to 2900fps !!
it can push a 270 grain to 3100fps.
yes it shoots really flat, and it punches thru the 1/4" steel gong at 500 yards at one local range so I can,t shot at that any longer.
if your willing to accept the harder recoil levels a 378 wby has and use top quality bullets and practice a good deal with the rifle,you can just about ignore problems involving lack of penetration, or excessive drop, at anything approaching reasonable ranges, that may be an issue with lesser calibers, now you still need to precisely place your shots,and know your rifles trajectory, but busting thru an ELKs shoulder is hardly going to slow a 378 WBYs 300 grain bullet. enough to destroy the projectiles effectiveness..
Its also not a rifle your going to shoot from the prone position without getting the recoil levels far up past the comfort levels or point you'll want to do that more than absolutely necessary.
]firing from a sitting or standing position's not too bad with a sling, being properly used , but you'll darn sure know when its gone off!
I doubt you'll fire more than 10-12 shots before your shoulder starts to bruise,and your common sense tells you to stop shooting!
but when your hunting its a non-issue because you'll seldom fire more than once or twice.
its also the reason you'll occasionally see barely used 378 wby,416 wby and 460 wby rifles for sale at decent prices that have been barely used.
you can fire a 300grain bullet at about 2870-2900fps,very easily,with zero pressure indications and long brass life, making enough energy to hunt African dangerous game and it shoots almost as flat as a 7mm mag for most of 500 yards
if your used to absorbing heavier recoil, the 378 wby makes an impressive , and expensive tool, but Ive found the 250 grain bullets in a 340 wby do everything you can reasonably expect from an ELK rifle with less recoil.[/color]

for anyone whose interested, the 378 wby kicks like a mule and works great as an ELK rifle, but its not proven to be any more effective than my 340 wby, so I only hunt elk with it when I get the odd masochistic urge to let it beat me half silly.
if you play with a recoil calculator a 375 h&h will generally have about 35-40 ft lbs of recoil, the 378 wby closer to 56-58 ft lbs, but MUCH FASTER
[Linked Image]

http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_detail.cfm?MetallicID=4180

http://www.norma.cc/content.asp?Typ...=Calibers&Title=378+Weatherby+Magnum

http://www.chuckhawks.com/378weatherby.htm

378 Weatherby Magnum

In 1952, Roy Weatherby designed this cartridge. He began with the 416 Rigby case, added a "magnum" belt and his patent "double-radius" shoulder, and necked the case to accept 0.375-inch bullets. In order to assure ignition of powder charges exceeding 100 grains, he asked Federal to develop a new primer. The result was the Federal 215 "Magnum" primer, now familiar to handloaders. Weatherby personally field-tested his 378 during an African Safari in 1953. He used the, then new, Schultz & Larsen rifle, especially developed to his specifications. During that hunt, he took a bull elephant with one shot. With best loads, the 378 Weatherby exceeds 375 H&H performance by fully 300 fps. With pointed, efficient bullets, trajectory is similar to best 270 Winchester loads; hence, the 378 can deliver staggering doses of energy to targets at extreme ranges. For example, it can deliver more energy at 500 yards than the 30-06 develops at the muzzle! Such performance has a price – heavy recoil. Few shooters will ever learn to handle the recoil generated by this chambering in a rifle of normal weight. Addition of a muzzle brake is practically a necessity for most shooters. As with any other such chambering, hunters are well advised to consider using only bullets of best possible construction, to assure adequate weight retention so that penetration will not be compromised significantly, should the bullet happen to strike heavy bone going in. Obviously, this cartridge is more powerful than necessary, except for hunting in Africa.

Last edited by 340mag; 12/12/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
btw if you really want to get a bruised shoulder my 458 lott with 540 grain hand loads , may not recoil back as fast and sharply but it pushes you back further, recoil calculates out at about 67 ft lbs

Last edited by 340mag; 12/12/12.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My 378 has the name of SCUD. My 460 is the 460. Both will give me a head throb if I tickel the trigger to much.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 340mag
ITS noticeable!
(below Im reposting an old post)

most of my friends say the 375 wby kicks like a mule, but its potentially possible to shoot it ,if your partly insane.
but the joke about the 378wby I built among my friends is it recoils so bad its instantly slapped your shoulder back 10" before your can even flinch! and only a certified masochist would shoot it twice.

Thanks for the laughs.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info fellers !!

I guess a buddy of mine has access to the collection/accumulation of Mark V's that a friend of his has has accrued. He basically has free run of the safe whenever he wishes.

I'm thinking I'll see if he wants to do some range time at the farm with a few carefully selected rifles one of these days.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Roy Weathrrby Snr referred to the .378 as "The Stallion". There is an obvious reason.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 378WBY is an answer to a question that nobody asked. There is no reason to punish onesself to the degree this rifle smacks a person. None whatsoever.

Like 340Mag learned and posted, until one gets to the largest two or three animals on the whole freakin PLANET, there is nothing really better than the 340WBY. My wildcat 340 Tyrannoasaur is essentially an 'improved' 340WBY and it is one killin sonufagun both on African and Alaskan animals.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can shoot a 375 H+H well the 416 Remington well enough to hunt dangerous game with, the 378 Weatherby, not a chance, I shot three shots out of one and it was enough. I hit the target ok the group was ok, around 2 inches but the head ache and the pain in the shoulder kept me off shooting for a couple of weeks.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My 378's are braked, and I won't shoot em any other way than that. I don't see what the big deal is if the gun is braked.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yoder is your rifle braked? And by all yup are you with sling and with rounds on that?

Thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Yoder is your rifle braked? And by all yup are you with sling and with rounds on that?

Thx

Dober

No, sir. Un-braked. Never warmed up to that idea. Maybe I just haven't shot anything yet that would make me re-think my stance on the idea.

My "all up" is with a mounted scope, sling & swivels, 1 in the tube and 2 down. For whatever reason, it'll hold 3 H&H but only 2 Weatherby in the box.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Interesting stuff. I have been using the 378 for 30 years and find that it's easy to use and knows no limits in the game fields. Just never had any issue whatsoever. Currently have 9 Mark V's chambered to 378 and when packing for a trip anywhere for anything one always goes along. I don't find the recoil troubling at all either braked or unbraked and my best 3 rifles will all shoot under 3/4" at 100 and into 3" at 400 yards. Well, my little unbraked 20" carbine is pretty spunky but it sure handles sweet in the thick stuff. All this 378 talk is making me want to finish that 30" barreled long range 378 to test the big 350gr match bullets....

To answer the OP's question regarding the comparison of the 375 Wby and 378's recoil, I truly don't see a significant difference. I guess it's a personal thing but in rifles of equal weight it's just I significant to me. I have a 375 Wby however I've never hunted with it to any degree. Though I've never needed more than the 3 round capacity of the 378 a theroritcal advantage to the 375 Wby could be the one extra round in the magazine.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in one well preserved piece, but rather to skid across the line sideways, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil and shouting "GERONIMO" at the top of your lungs!!!!"
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Recoil is apparently a personal thing, or perhaps rifle weight and stock design matter even more when we get to the big rifles.

I have shot half a dozen .375's (owned two, still own a light one) and have shot three .378's at the range over the years.

I can shoot my .375's from any hunting position (including prone) but you could not pay me to shoot an unbraked .378 from the prone position!

As Clint Eastwood once said in movie, "A man's got to know his limitations" -- well, my limit is south of the .378 Weatherby!

John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.