G
no 375 Ruger and no CZ or Ruger magnum.

I'd like something that weighs 7.5lbs-9lbs

My budget is about $1500 or under

Here's what's in my head so far:
2010 Winchester M70
Sako 85 Hunter
Remington XCR

The XCR is cheap, and I herd accurate, but I've heard stories about bolt handles and no CRF

The previous Winchesters have a great reputaion, but I have no idea how the new ones are. I can get one for about $1100 when they are released.

I've heard great things about Sako, great function and accuracy, but not sure on the larger caliber. It can also be had in stainless which is a plus. I'm not sure on price, but I've heard $1500-1600 ?

Any experience with any of these or any suggestions other than what I said not to suggest?

Last edited by gohip; 02/20/10.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
right handed? if so its just a click of a button for you. gun broker, guns america,guns international .com winchester m 70 pre 64 or post 64 and call it a day!!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
See the thread below on light-ish 375s, most of the options were covered there.

If I had $1500, I'd buy a used Winchester Model 70 Classic and send it to Redneck for tuning. Maybe put it in a McMillan. If it were blued I'd have it hard-chromed.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Within that budget and noting the exclusions

Mark V Wby Synthetic. Super reliable feeder and top accuracy and long magazine. The low bolt lif makes for an extremely fast action IF you are use to it. Maybe the best ready to go 375 out there. Unlike the Sako low lift bolt the Wby does not have the goofy scope mount system or the lego set recoil lug system.

Model 70. The classic choice and unlike the Wby will have full forum approval.

Rem 700 if you want a lighter rifle than the M70 or Mark V. Have it fitted with the HS Precison centre line feed magazine and you have the most reliable feeding. Takes every scope mount made in the world and off the shelf. The Mark 5 needs it own mounts and the M70 is not the standard M70 mount.

If the M70 is tops for forum approval the Rem 700 is at the bottom grin

But overall, function, relaxation that you have the right 375, has sights etc and etc I think the M70 is the number one choice.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Well, I'm getting rid of my 375 ruger because it has just given me problems the last year. So I want something that works.

I've never owned a weatherby, but I think I'd rather own one in a smaller caliber, I have no basis for judgement on that.

I do know of someone selling a stainless winchester for $1100. It looks great in the pictures.

Another option I never though of was looking for a winchester action and buying a stock an match grade barrel. I have to add up costs for that one though.

If I see some weatherbies, I'll start handleing them and see how they feel

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gohip
If I see some weatherbies, I'll start handleing them and see how they feel

If you do make sure they are Accumarks as they have the same barrel contour as by used for 375 H&H, 378 and 416.

But do yourself a huge favour and get a Model 70. The Model 70 and 375 go together like bacon and eggs.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Get the Winchester!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently picked up a NIB XCR in 375HH. I ordered a McMillan for it the next day. The stock is is only a 1/2 step up from their standard tupperware. I adjusted the XMark trigger to 3 pounds. I wasn't planning on buying a rifle that day but it was just too good of a deal. Worst case, if I don't like it I can rebarrel it to something else.

My advice is handle them all, pick the one you like and then patiently wait for a ggod deal. If you want a M70, there are some good deals out there. I missed an opportunity on a LNIB Classic SS Sporter in 300Roy for $550. It would've easily been rebarreled to the 375HH. Ya gotta be ready and be quick!

RH

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
If you don't mind my asking, what kind of Ruger do you have and what's wrong with it?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gwindrider1
Get the Winchester!
What he said.. Just limit it to a NH rifle in CRF and you'll be golden..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you want cheap and reliable the SPSDG Remington 700 in 375 H&H Magnum is the way to go.
Less than $600.00 and complete with "Gumby" stock.
My bolt handle hasn't fallen off yet and it always feeds properly.
I can hardly believe it myself. wink
Second choice would be a Ruger #1. Short overall length, and very strong and simple mechanism, no feeding issues and your fingers are the controlled round feed! wink grin
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by beefan
If you don't mind my asking, what kind of Ruger do you have and what's wrong with it?
I'm to exausted typing about the 375 ruger. here's the link to the problem.
375 ruger problem

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would buy a newer model control feed model 70 Win....Maybe a good used one would be your best bet....I seldom buy new production guns these days.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
375 ruger problem
......................gohip!.......Read your post regarding your 375 Ruger problems. I can only assess your problem as being either a very tight chamber, a tight bore, or a combo of both! Although I could be wrong, extremely small degrees of chamber and bore dimensions can vary depending on when the boring equipment is changed over. The longer it remains and is used, the tighter the bores and chambers may be???

Interestingly with my 375 Ruger Alaskan, I`ve never had a feeding problem (all casings are fully sized), nor a sticky bolt even when using max charges of H-4350 or RL-15 in 80-100 degree range weather here in So Calif.

Unfortunately, you more than likely just got a lemon that even Ruger could not fix and that these circumstances are few and far in-between.

Let`s not forget that these symptoms or defects can occur in any rifle which are all,,,,man made!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about the closeout Remington 798s? $500 for a CRF 375H&H is tough to beat. I have a Model 70, but you can shoot a lot of ammo for the cost difference between the Rem and Win.

Who is John Galt?
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
375 ruger problem
......................gohip!.......Read your post regarding your 375 Ruger problems. I can only assess your problem as being either a very tight chamber, a tight bore, or a combo of both! Although I could be wrong, extremely small degrees of chamber and bore dimensions can vary depending on when the boring equipment is changed over. The longer it remains and is used, the tighter the bores and chambers may be???

Interestingly with my 375 Ruger Alaskan, I`ve never had a feeding problem (all casings are fully sized), nor a sticky bolt even when using max charges of H-4350 or RL-15 in 80-100 degree range weather here in So Calif.

Unfortunately, you more than likely just got a lemon that even Ruger could not fix and that these circumstances are few and far in-between.

Let`s not forget that these symptoms or defects can occur in any rifle which are all,,,,man made!

yeah, but 2 $800 lemons in a row that were both sent back to ruger and not fixed is enough to make me not even consider the 375 ruger any more, not to mention a year of wasted time and lots of money. I've owned two other rugers in 338 win and 300 win that functioned fine, but I'm completely soured on the 375 ruger unless someone were to let me take it to the range before buying it. I've used 2 lbs W760, 1 lbs H4350, 1 lbs IMR 4350, and 2 lbs reloader 15 with minimum to medium loads that all stuck. I've tryed 300gr partitions, 260gr accubonds, 270gr TSX, 270 gr hornady, 300gr hornady, all cases full length sized with 2 different brands of dies just to be sure.

Oh I did happen to find a stainless classic winchester for $1100

Last edited by gohip; 02/21/10.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I also thought of a possible different approach.
Montana action $800 + benchrest barrel $300-$400
= $1100-$1200 and then just get a stock
I guess plus the cost of gunsmithing to fit the barrel to the action.
?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I also thought of a possible different approach.
Montana action $800 + benchrest barrel $300-$400
= $1100-$1200 and then just get a stock
I guess plus the cost of gunsmithing to fit the barrel to the action.
?

I would rather get the M70 and rebarrel, probably similar cost since you have the walnut stock and it is a real M70 plus you will have the island sights of the M70 barrel.

Even better is get the M70 and just shoot it grin

Last edited by Mike378; 02/21/10.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I'm curious on the thoughts of the new winchester's, I know they aren't the same winchester, but maybe they will be good rifles? I'm just not sure If I sould take the plunge on a first year model seeing as the 375 H&H isn't even released yet. all the used wincehsters in this caliber are getting bought up real quick. it's getting harder to find any for under $3000
I saw a stainless in Cabelas for $1000 and it looked in good condition, a couple weeks later, it was sold along with almost every single on in the Cabelas gun library. there is a lot less of them on gun broker too.

Oh I'm seeing the kimber for sale on the net for $1750, still think I'm gonna go with a winchester. I'll keep my eyes open for a stainless and if I don't find one before the new models come out, I'll get a 2010 model

Last edited by gohip; 02/21/10.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm curious on the thoughts of the new winchester's, I know they aren't the same winchester, but maybe they will be good rifles? I'm just not sure If I sould take the plunge on a first year model seeing as the 375 H&H isn't even released yet. all the used wincehsters in this caliber are getting bought up real quick. it's getting harder to find any for under $3000
I saw a stainless in Cabelas for $1000 and it looked in good condition, a couple weeks later, it was sold along with almost every single on in the Cabelas gun library. there is a lot less of them on gun broker too.

Oh I'm seeing the kimber for sale on the net for $1750, still think I'm gonna go with a winchester. I'll keep my eyes open for a stainless and if I don't find one before the new models come out, I'll get a 2010 model

Well for starters that tells you the M70 is the rifle for a 375.

All reports on the new M70s are good and the 375 is basically the same rifle.

Thye action is the same on a 30/06 of a 375. The difference is the rear receiver ring is machined differently for the 3.6" cartridge.

Go here http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/imagepreview.asp?mid=535116 and click on the little picture lower down of the barreled action and inside stock. Anyone use to looking at walnut/blue M70 375s will tell you that has they have looked for 40 years. The barrel recoil lug is different to earlier ones but looks to be attached in a manner less likely to disturb the barrel than was the case with the older ones.

The two cross bolts in the stock could come directly out of a 1970s XTR 375. A barreled action from 1970 would go straight into that stock as the stock has the section of wood scooped out in front of where the lug goes.

If you get a Kimber you will be depressed when you pull it out of the stock and see it is a tube receiver with washer recoil lug. I ask you, who wants that sort of [bleep] on a 375. Kimber even try hide the washer on the part of the rifle above the wood line. You can get the real thing, that is a Rem 700 for half that price.

As a side note I think someone said there was a stainless in the classifieds of the forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.