Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Is the challenge on again this year? I haven't seen anything about it yet so I thought I would ask.

Rolly
BP-B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I too was wondering... Thanks for posting the question. Libby isn't a far drive for me.

Guy

D
D
I think July 9 will be the day. We'll see if Jay weighs in here.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I will be at my place outside Sandpoint for the summer so this may work for me.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
D
Sorry, I posted the wrong date. The shoot will be July 10, Sunday. Sahib said so.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
What are the specifics of the shoot?

D
D
20-25 shots for score, 375 or bigger maybe a 9.3, some close shots some out to 35-40yds, once in a while a shot out at 90 or so, water jugs on the ground, water jugs on moving carts, water jug on a zip line, plastic spinners, elephant, leopard, buffalo targets, stages can be one, two or three shots, lots of nice folks, very friendly competition, lots of great guns to see, 5-6 hours, weather can be hot, 65 shooters or so, a fun day, lots of door prizes, dvd's, hats, t-shirts, bolt guns, levers, doubles, scopes, irons, vendors, Montana Rifle Company (demo guns to shoot), Skinner sights

Jay, the match director will post the flyer within a week.

Last edited by Dan505; 03/04/16.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thanks. Sounds like a blast... I am thinking I will haul my 416 Rem up for the summer and attend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If any'a ya'll wanna get warmed up and in the mood for Safari rifles before heading up to MT...

26-Mar in Phoenix!
http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/safari-rifle-shoot-PRGC.html

Poole

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lol small world, I spend quite a bit of time in Libby. Afrid the biggest bore rifle I own is a 32 winchester special!

We deal in lead, friend.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Yes the shoot is scheduled for SUNDAY July 10 2016. I will post some basic info tomorrow.

To register or be added to our confidential email list, please email safaririflechallengeyahoo.com

Thanks, JCS

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Here is the information sheet for the SAFARI RIFLE CHALLENGE...

Safari Rifle Challenge
World Championships in Libby, Montana
Sunday July 10, 2016 8am-4pm

The Event: This is a family oriented shoot featuring both life size and moving targets. It is designed to simulate events encountered on an African Safari. Targets will be scored and times will be announced, but since all prizes are awarded by random drawing, you will be competing purely for the glory of sport! Participants will be expected to cheerfully help with reset of targets, powering the moving targets and any other menial labor that may be necessary for the greater good. Shooters must be at least 18yrs old and must be pre-registered. There is a $20 participation fee which will also entitle you to a commemorative t-shirt.

The Guns: This is a big bore, dangerous game rifle shoot. Essentially .375/9.3 caliber or larger in single shot, bolt action or double rifles. If you have an antique double rifle in a smaller caliber that is capable of taking big game then bring it! Single shot, double barrel or bolt action 10/12/20 gauge guns firing single lead balls or slugs will also be allowed. Sorry, but no handguns, lever action, pump or semi-automatic firearms. You will need about 30 rounds.
ABSOLUTELY NO LIGHT LOADS!

The Rules: All guns will be placed in the racks with actions open. When it is your turn to shoot, you will be directed to get your rifle by the range master. SAFETY AND MUZZLE CONTROL ARE NON-NEGOTIABLE! The start position will generally be low ready with a round in the chamber, finger off the trigger and the safety on, unless otherwise directed by range staff. A range master “PH” will stay beside you at all times while on the course. On most stages, there will be a limited amount of ammunition allowed in your gun when starting the stage, extra rounds will have to be loaded from the belt, pocket, butt stock etc. We reserve the right to change the course of fire based on our disposition, your disposition, untimely demise of the targets, comments from the peanut gallery, weather or whatever other factors may be present. All distances are approximate and subject to change.

The Course of fire: Shooting positions will vary from standing on your hind legs and shooting offhand, to kneeling and seated. Frequently it will be a combination of positions. Some stages may require the use of shooting sticks which will be provided. Many stages will require you to fire at a target, move to another spot, reload and then fire at a second target. All movement will be done with an empty gun and all reloading will be done once you are safely at the next shooting position. If you have any physical issues that preclude a certain activity we will cheerfully accommodate you.

The 10 stage course is specifically designed to NOT favor any particular style of rifle or sight system. Distances will vary between 5 and 75+ yards. Targets will vary from life-size broadside buffalo and elephant heads to clay birds and water jugs.

Location: Libby Shooting Sports Complex on Farm to Market Rd. across from the Libby Airport.

Time: Shooting starts at 8 am SHARP! Please arrive early to check in and get setup. Remember to bring lawn chairs, hat and sunscreen. A food truck will be at the range if you would like to purchase breakfast, lunch or soft drinks. You are also welcome to bring your own food and drinks (NO ALCOHOL ON RANGE PROPERTY).

Please email safaririflechallengeyahoo.com to sign up or request more information including local lodging options. FYI, space is very limited!

P.S. Come a day early and enjoy the John Michael Montgomery concert on Saturday night.

"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

How about 40 caliber 1895's?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
We do have a couple of lever action shooters that were "grandfathered" in from the very first shoot but the club is not allowing any more. Although if it was good enough for Teddy it should be good enough for anybody! smile

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
July 9th would have worked for me, but not the 10th. Phooey.

Enjoy! And share some photos here please!

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
this sounds like fun!
the rules state no light loads. would a 45/70 405g over 70g bp equivalent
be considered light? MS has me a little sensitive to real thumping loads

Last edited by deerstalker; 05/08/16.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Circumstances have changed for me, Jay.

I'll be there this year!!! laugh laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by deerstalker
this sounds like fun!

I am not sure what that would translate to in velocity. If it is a good stout hunting type load then it would be ok considering your health issue. Just remember, no lever guns.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Circumstances have changed for me, Jay.

I'll be there this year!!! laugh laugh

Looking forward to seeing you!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCS271
Originally Posted by deerstalker
this sounds like fun!

I am not sure what that would translate to in velocity. If it is a good stout hunting type load then it would be ok considering your health issue. Just remember, no lever guns.

i will be bringing a Siamese Mauser in 45/70.
i can take 550g loads up to about 458 win mag speeds.
off the bench they ring my bell but offhand just sets me back on my haunches.
i really want to make this shoot. sounds like a fun time.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
761 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 87 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.