Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Have you guys ever wondered what to do with those tender cuts/trimmings that are too small to cut into steaks but too good to grind or use in stew, etc.?

A local restaurant does a really good sauteed beef tenderloin tip recipe, so I tried it on elk and it's good. You cut the tips into 1/2-1" pieces, roll them in chili powder, saute, and then dip into your favorite tomato-based barbecue sauce. I just use Kraft's original, it's good with the chili powder. For sauteeing, I've used canola, olive oil, and the olive oil/butter mix that comes in a tub, and I think I like the mix the best. I use the chili powder shown in the photo, "Mexene," King Soopers carries it. Don't worry about getting too much chili powder on the tips because most of it comes off in the pan.

We have some Canadian neighbors and today's Canadian Thanksgiving and they're coming to dinner. I cut up some backstrap steaks for grilling, and the tips are in the round container with the chili powder. Elk, it's what's for dinner:

[Linked Image]

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
This Canadian thinks that sounds pretty damned good.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well John, I'd invite ya over, but there's five of us and five in their family, no more seats at the table!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting.

I'm going to have to try that.

What's the good restaurant? Henry's Pub?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds darn good smokepole! I will try that as soon as I kill an elk!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After cooking photo?

Murphy was a grunt.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by fish head
What's the good restaurant? Henry's Pub?

Nope, Great Northern Tavern down in the SE part of Denver.

Don't have any after cooking photos, they don't last that long.

Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Well John, I'd invite ya over, but there's five of us and five in their family, no more seats at the table!

Plus, I couldn't get there in time from B.C. - You'd have to save some for the American Thanksgiving! But thanks anyway.

I'm leaving for a moose hunt in two days. I may try your recipe on some moose meat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds pretty good smoke. I'll add that to my list of stuff to do with the little pieces.

Ny list currently contains:

Venison tips and noodles
Venison stroganoff
Curried venison
Venison pot pies

And of course the old stand by Chili.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
BCR: can you share the Curried Venison recipe with us??

Thanks!
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I love curry also. I'd like to hear this as well.

inwge, I have done some curried venison in the past. Just like stir frying venison, it has to be cooked super fast and serve. If venison is simmered in the sauces it tends to get chewy. Try slowly cooking onions and your curry powder (or paste) in some oil until the onions and powder are cooked. Add in some tomatoes, peas, and stock/water and cook to a nice sauce consistency. Add in rare thin sliced venison (grilled or pan friend) just before serving. I have also used left over pot roast meat. I usually "jazz" up my curry dishes with lots of fresh garlic, ginger root, cardamom or whatever I feel like throwing in. My wife sometimes gets pizzed because the house smells like redneck-Delhi for the whole night grin

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure guys, here is the way I do curried venison. Now as I am sure you know curry is kind of like chili. Everybody has their own version and calls it good. grin

I won't do exact measurements as it depends on how much venison pieces you have.

Cut your meat into bite size pieces and in a heavy pot sear it in a bit of olive oil. Take out meat and set aside for a while.

Cut a couple of onions so you have strips not rings.

Throw them in the oil along with a couple cloves of minced garlic. When the onion and garlic is just translucent add a big can of diced tomatoes along with the juice. Add about a tsp of salt.

Turn down the heat and let this simmer for say 30-45 minutes. You will want to add about a half can or more of water so it doesn't get stuck and burn. Throw in your meat and simmer until meat is tender.

Make a flowable paste of curry powder ( use Madras or Indian not Chinese or Tai you want the heat and heavier spice) use a couple table spoons curry powder and wet it with white vinegar until you get your consistency right. You want to be able to pour it out of the bowl but you dont want it to be watery.

Put this in your pot with the other stuff. Turn heat way down and just simmer along for a few more minutes. You want it the consistency of good thick chili you don't want soup.

According to your taste you might need more pepper, salt or hot sauce.

The dish should be a nice deep yellow/brown color.

Pour it over rice and have some flour tortillas. They are samey same as Indian chapatis more or less. Sweet pickles and a good chutney if you like it are fine a condiments.

BCR

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sounds good, I'm gonna try that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,193
Posts18,465,845
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.