-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Be careful what you wish for. My Coleman 4000 LP grill is about 8-10yrs old. It is starting to need repairs. Last year I replaced the burner shields. Sunday I had a problem lighting it and before dinner was finished, one burner was hissing. I give up. I just ordered a new Weber Ducane Affinity 4 burner Natural Gas grill. I have already mentioned the under the deck gas piping to my plumber. No more LP bottles for daily use, just a valve. LP bottles will be used heating the deer stand and the turkey fryer.

My Coleman grill exterior still looks great. I'm thinking about gutting it and placing a cast iron dutch oven with holes in the bottom in the drain end for a charcoal firebox and sticking a 2" pipe chimney out of the lid on the other end to convert it into a smoker.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used both the Ducane and the Weber Genesis, You want the Genesis. Mine is going on 20 years old. I converted it to natural gas 5 years ago. The Ducanes I have used won't get hot enough to grill a steak correctly.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Too late, I have already ordered the 4 burner natural gas Ducane. I opted for it because the burners run front to back. It would seem more better for indirect cooking/smoking. Don't the burners on the new Genesis run side to side? My problem with gas grills has always been too hot. I will be very disappointed if the new grill doesn't get steak hot with the lid open. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Weber Genesis Gold natural gas model that is about 7-8 years old. Even when new you would have to ignite all three burners and leave the lid closed to reach 500-550 degrees on a warm day.

I never cooked a proper steak until this summer when I got my BGE. Now the Weber is just a shelf.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by croldfort
Don't the burners on the new Genesis run side to side?

Yep, I have Weber Genesis Gold as well and the run side to side. Works out really well for rotisserie where you just use the front and back or for longer items that you want to do indirect heat on, just use the back or front burner.

I think it's a good design.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I will report when I get the Ducane hooked up. We never use a rotisserie. Our long, lid closed cooking, is usually done with wood chips over a burner on one end and the the meat indirect on the other.

For grilling, I turn up to high blast and close the lid. When the thermometer does max, I open the lid and do my grilling.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I always wanted a "hard wired" gas grill so as not to deal with propane, but then I stopped using gas grills and never got a round to it..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The good news is that the Weber Ducane natural gas grill arrived Fri, assembled Sun, and the plumber is coming Fri. Bad news is that the lid is broken. The nice lady said the replacement lid will be on the way this week.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Outdoor cookers are right up there with the absolute best things to tinker with and make better. And you can never have too many or too many different types. Think mine are having babies.

I like the valve-only setup. For outdoor stoves and fryers as well.

David

Good luck!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am plumbed. The new lid arrived and the plumber has been here. It will take some getting used to over my Coleman LP, but I am pleased. I appears that I can work from 200* to 600*+.

The advertised porcelian-enameled grates are stainless steel.

IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congrats! You went the absolute right way for gas cooking!

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats on the new grill croldfort

My Amana propane grill won't light. I suspect the regulator. Darn thing is you almost have to disassemble the grill to change it. It will make a good storage cabinet for my BGE stuff! grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I went to a Chargriller charcoal grill/smoker after tiring from burner replacement . . . and I'm lovin' it!! wife wants another gas grill, But If we do get one it'll be built in and plumbed. I'd also like to build in an outdoor sink to make grilling a little easier.

Bob

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 71 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.