24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's that time of year, when everyone is sick of salmon. Smoked salmon? Blah. Salmon Fettuccine? Bleh. Salmon Pizza? Not again!

I am looking for some new recipes to utilize salmon, specifically, salmon that has been run through a pressure canner.

I am sure that you guys have some really great ones here.

So what are they?

Thanks,

~Jake

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A simple salmon loaf recipe Mom made, good on a cold night.

2 16oz can salmon
2 eggs
milk
3 cup coarse saltine cracker crumbs
2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Remove salmon bones and skin, reserve liquid, then flake in bowl. To liquid, add milk to total 1 1/2 cup then add to bowl. Mix in 2 eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients. Place in greased loaf pan, bake at 350deg for 45min, top should be lightly browned and crispy.

Peas in white sauce

3 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder (I like to add some finely chopped onion and just a little garlic, too)
2 cup milk
Some cooked peas as desired

Melt butter in pan, then mix in dry ingredients. Slowly stir in milk. Thicken as needed over medium heat. Add in cooked peas as desired. Serve as a gravy.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sandcritter's recipe for peas in white sauce is the same basic recipe my folks used to make creamed canned salmon. Just add in the salmon after you make the sauce, heat it through and serve over noodles. With two cups of milk that should be about right for two pint jars of salmon. Half that for one jar of salmon.

I've made tuna helper with canned salmon. It's definitely not a gourmet recipe but it's not too bad either.

I used up most of my canned salmon making salmon salad sandwiches. I never got tired of that. Celery, onions, mayo, a small chopped up tomato ... good stuff.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I do not have my own canned salmon, but I do make canned salmon recipes and actually enjoy them a lot during the winter. I will post a few....

Ingredients

2 cans (14.75 ounces each) salmon, drained
1 and 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup tartar sauce or mayonnaise
2 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup canola oil

Make the salmon mixture. Mix together the salmon, 1 cup of the panko, the tartar sauce or mayonnaise, scallions or onion powder, the egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.

Shape the cakes. Form the mixture into eight 3oz cakes that are about 1″ thick. Place the remaining 1/2 cup of panko in a shallow dish and press the cakes into the bread crumbs until all sides are evenly coated.

Fry the salmon cakes. Heat 1/2 cup of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, fry the salmon cakes in 2 batches until golden brown on both sides, 8 to 10 minutes per batch, adding the remaining 1/4 cup of oil to fry the second batch if necessary. Place the salmon cakes on a paper towel�lined plate to drain, and serve hot.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Recently tried this one, worth it indeed.

RECIPE:

Salmon Pie

4 six-ounce cans of Alaskan salmon (or equivalent), drained (yield 19-20 ounces of drained fish)

1 egg

2 1/3 cups mashed potato, salted and peppered to taste

3 heaping tablespoons finely diced red onion (approximately 1/2 small onion)

1/2 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped (you can use dried dill here too, cut to 1/4 teaspoon)

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

pinch garlic powder

yellow mustard

pie dough for a double-crust pie

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In large bowl, flake drained salmon with fork. Add egg and stir well. Add mashed potatoes to salmon mixture and mash until combined.

Add onion, dill, pepper, and garlic powder to salmon mixture and stir.

Assemble as you would any double-crust pie.

Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and quickly protect edge crust with foil. Return to oven and bake another 15-25 minutes. Pie is finished when it is pleasantly golden brown.

Serve with a dab of yellow mustard on the side.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I always like making salmon cakes

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
there are some foods I just won't eat. Canned Salmon is among them. frown

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm liking that salmon cake recipe..

Big favorite around here is eggs, scrambled with onions and canned salmon, served with toasted bagels.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't laugh! Tuna helper Alfredo, add frozen spinich. use Pepper jack as a topping.

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fish head
Sandcritter's recipe for peas in white sauce is the same basic recipe my folks used to make creamed canned salmon. Just add in the salmon after you make the sauce, heat it through and serve over noodles. With two cups of milk that should be about right for two pint jars of salmon. Half that for one jar of salmon.

I've made tuna helper with canned salmon. It's definitely not a gourmet recipe but it's not too bad either.

I used up most of my canned salmon making salmon salad sandwiches. I never got tired of that. Celery, onions, mayo, a small chopped up tomato ... good stuff.

I do about the same and serve it over biscuits.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the ideas folks. Last night, we did salmon tacos.

Homemade corn tortillas
salmon canned in tomato sauce w/Tabasco and Jalapenos
cooked white rice
smashed avocados
fresh tomatoes
salsa
cheddar cheese

Heat the salmon in a skillet, then assemble soft shell tortillas. Something different.

Tonight I am going to try a Salmon Thai dish. we'll see how that goes over with the crew.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mannlicher,

how come you don't eat canned salmon? Dietary or taste?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UncleJake
Mannlicher,

how come you don't eat canned salmon? Dietary or taste?

I'd bet he think you meant store bought canned Salmon but I could be wrong...

Andrew
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Salmon Thai Dish:

Curry and cabbage is a great TASTE combination, but not so great in other ways!!!

I will probably spare you guys on that recipe....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 82 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,939
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.