Here's what I've done/learned.

First I made flat jerky using 5lbs ground Elk using a LEM jerky gun. I made two batches using the inclosed spices/cure. I added some spices to the second batch making it more to my taste. I dried it in the oven. It was time consuming, but easy. It was good.

Second, I mixed 4lbs of ground boston butt with 6lbs of elk to make Hi mtn snakin strips, only to find I couldnt make my grinder fit the casings

So I made 4lbs of pan sausage.

I then added the Hi Mtn spice/cure to the leftover mixture and the next morning loaded the jerky gun and round nossle to differenciate from the flat elk only. I dried/cooked it a little hotter. It turned out OK.

I then had a brainstorm and put half of the jerky and most of the 'slim jims' in my smoker for an hour. By now they werte all firm and I could pile them up. It was rainy and damp and they became a little moist. Back into the oven for about an hour. they were very good.

I'll try tweeking a little, but If they don't get any better, I'll never complain.
I still have lots of roasts that I might use for real jerky, but this was so easy I might just leave them as roasts.

The main thing that suprised me is how much weight/moisture cooks/dries out.

capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!