-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We are not real big on turnips, but we enjoy a few mess's each fall. This spring we are finding them at the farmer's market. We've had them three times, and got some more today. Small, but delicious. We're in KS. Do folks normally have turnips in springtime? Fried green tomatoes may be just around the corner.

GB1

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
turnip greens are good and good for ya. we see them, and mustard greens in the stores this time of year.

traditionally, we always seeded our turnips in the late summer, around labor day or thereabouts, and didn't eat them unil after a frost. no reason to wait, but we always thought they tasted better after a couple of freezes. then the turnip roots would start coming on.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The deer love em, so whats not to like. Some plant in the spring but most down here plant in late summer to fall. I am getting ripe tomatoes already. I started mine in the greenhouse. Been eating fried green ones since last month.

Last edited by amax155; 06/10/09. Reason: publik edukashun

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by croldfort
We are not real big on turnips, but we enjoy a few mess's each fall. This spring we are finding them at the farmer's market. We've had them three times, and got some more today. Small, but delicious. We're in KS. Do folks normally have turnips in springtime? Fried green tomatoes may be just around the corner.
I love turnip greens, but turnips not so much. The most tolerable way to eat them I've found is boiling them with carrots and then mashing the two together with a little milk and butter.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The most tolerable way to eat them I've found is boiling them with carrots and then mashing the two together with a little milk and butter.

And a bit of feshly grated nutmeg, makes them delicious !

Lynn

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Duh! We don't do many greens, except spinach, but I've been eating wilted lettuce about every evening. My wife complained about only 10 turnips on a peck sack of tops. We never thought about the greens. Threw them away. Stupid northern trait. Mahap we can get some more Sat and try the greens. We eat turnips sliced, boiled and served with butter, salt, and pepper, or peeled raw like an apple.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by croldfort
Duh! We don't do many greens, except spinach, but I've been eating wilted lettuce about every evening. My wife complained about only 10 turnips on a peck sack of tops. We never thought about the greens. Threw them away. Stupid northern trait. Mahap we can get some more Sat and try the greens. We eat turnips sliced, boiled and served with butter, salt, and pepper, or peeled raw like an apple.
Turnip greens are, in my opinion, superior to spinach, but you cannot cook them like spinach. Spinach is generally just steamed till wilted. That will not do for greens. You need to boil them in a good bit of water at a rapid boil for about five minutes or so, then strain them out, put them in a dish and throw on the butter, salt and pepper. If you just steam them, you will not like the taste. Bitter.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
13357-FiletMignonwTurnipGreens.JPG (86.08 KB, 33 downloads)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.