Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hi all,

I'm looking at doing some practice at longer distances this year - 500+ yards.

Been thinking of a steel circle about 10" diameter hanging from a sturdy metal frame. My reasoning is that I could hear the metal if I whack it at 500 or 600 yards.

Any suggestions for a target at this kind of range and pictures of something that works well.

Thanks

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You are on the right track.

Steel is good for immediate visual/audio feedback. Plus you can often see your bullet splash marks on the target way past 500 yards. In good lighting I can see the splashes out to 1000 yards with 10X glass, on a white steel target.

AR500 steel is pretty much the standard. I bought one from LV Steel Targets,

http://lvsteeltargets.com/

but you can probably have something fabricated closer to home.

I hang it in a swingset, and freshen up the paint before going back to shoot. Good audible ring, and visible swing when hit. This target weighs 50 lbs (just the plate), it's 15" wide x 25" tall, and 1/2" thick.
[Linked Image]

Some practice at 560 yards,
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks MM, just the kind of thing I was looking for... and yeah, I'll likely get it fabbed up here rather than shipping from Nevada.

That swing set looks like the deal. If you were to do it again would you get 3/8's or stay with the 1/2"? I'll be shooting a 3006 and a 338wm.

BTW, if the groups on your steel are from the 560 yard range thats pretty nice shooting. I hope I can do as well.

Nice rifle, except the bolt appears to be on the wrong side. wink

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't have any experience with the 3/8" targets. AR500 would probably be fine for your calibers at distances past 100 yards, but I'm just guessing.

Yes, that's 560 yards with the 308 Win, shooting 155gr Lapua Scenar at 2800 fps MV.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I rigged mine up with 24 and 18 inch 1/2 inch diameter gas pipe. The legs are out of the 24 and 18 inch lengths, and the top piece is out of 18 inch as well. The joints are gas pipe joints, and the whole thing threads together and fits in a tool box, along with my shooting mat. There was no welding required, and it takes up little space. Once together, I just hang the gong from the cross bar. I think the whole stand cost less than $80.00, $100.00 if you throw in the tool box.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks Rman, good idea.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Thanks MM, just the kind of thing I was looking for... and yeah, I'll likely get it fabbed up here rather than shipping from Nevada.

That swing set looks like the deal. If you were to do it again would you get 3/8's or stay with the 1/2"? I'll be shooting a 3006 and a 338wm.
BTW, if the groups on your steel are from the 560 yard range thats pretty nice shooting. I hope I can do as well.

Nice rifle, except the bolt appears to be on the wrong side. wink

I also went with the AR-500 targets from LV Steel targets http://lvsteeltargets.com/ Although the 1/2" targets are rated for the 50 BMG and the 3/8" targets should be good for your use.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Montana Marine...

Shane,

I am not concerned about the target... but I sure would like to be filled in on that rifle in the photo... [Linked Image]

I not only like that set up but am highly interested in your camo set up on the rifle and the scope..... that is one sweet looking rig!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Seafire,

Here's the rundown on the rifle,

Rem 700 VS LH, 308 Win
Barrel cut to 20.5"
McMillan HTG stock, with sniper-fill (heavy)
Badger Ordnance Thruster brake/compensator
Badger Ordnance M4 steel floorplate/triggerguard
Badger Ord 20 moa picatinny rail
Badger Ord standard height rings
Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 M1, with Gen II Mildot reticle.
Harris 9-13" bipod with swivel, notched legs, and pod-loc
Eagle stock pack
milsurp nylon sling in Uncle Mike's milspec swivels

It makes a fairly handy and well balanced rifle, about 11 or 12 pounds, never officially weighed it.

I rattle-canned it with Krylon camo colors. Base coat of tan, then diagonal stripes of olive and brown, sprayed through some dry bunchgrass to break it up a little.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is a system that works well for me, only thing you need is at least one more person to help out, a large cardboard box or two, set of walkietalkies, and a revine or large tree somewhere near (but not to near the target area)
Here's how it works, the spotter carrys the box over to set up as a target. After setting it up the spoter goes to his place of cover, makeing sure he cannot be hit by the shooter or by a rickashay; he would then tell the shooter to tell him how many shots he or she will fire and give the go ahead. After the shot or shots the shooter will remove any remaining rounds from the rifle open the bolt and point the rifle away from the target area then give the all clear. The spoter then walks to the box and checks the group and reports to the shooter; if more shooting is to be done befor changing places with the shooter the spoter would then return to his place of cover and repeat the sequence.
With this setup you not only know you hit the target you also know the point of impact and group size.
It almost goes without saying but you need to do this with a shooting pardner you trust not to be an idiot.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good Advice 270WSManic...or if uncomfortable with someone down range, set up your spoter just behind you, looking over your shooting shoulder with a spoting scope, and he can conferm your bullet impact, and give adjustments as needed.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks CGPAUL, The spotting scopes we had were of to poor quality to see the bullet holes at 4-500 yds. We also used our system at 1000yds but shooting across two West Va. hollers we didn't have much luck hitting the 55gal drum we had for a target.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
270, i used to use a box too, but i came up with a better method awhile back. Get 2 pieces of rebar and 2 long pieces of electrical conduit. Get some zip ties at Wal-Mart, or wherever. Take your appliance boxes or whatever you're using and cut single sheets from them as big as u want. Attach the cardboard all around the conduit with the zip ties. Pound the rebar into the ground facing slightly away from each other and slide the conduit tgts. over the rebar. It's cheap, super portable, and holds up in some pretty good winds too.

Another little thing i do is i have a stencil made up for painting tgts. onto the boxes. with the el cheapo 1$ spray paint at Wal-Mart (i also use this paint for our steel tgts. too).

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Love LV Steel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shane,
Thanks for the link. i'm going to order a couple of them..

Paul

I can't spell... Deal with it...
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You bet.

They are pretty nice, I might order a 12" round gong too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is how Steve (sscoyote) and I set-up portable steel targets:
Don't have a pic of he does the cardboard one though.

[Linked Image]

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don't have a pic Ern, but i can't imagine it getting any simpler than that system for portability's sake.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone make a steel deer or elk silhouette target?

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm getting really interested in this but have a couple of questions.... This is assuming I use an AR500 steel target, suspended from a chain/metal cable with "give".

1. Is there a need to worry about "splash" or richochet from one of these targets?
2. Range consideration on the above? How close/far..with the next question in mind...
3. Any special considerations for the following: .223AI, .308/30-06/.270, .375 Ruger, 10mm/40S&W?
4. Given a good backstop, how much "clear" area do I need to the front, angles from front, and sides.

It's a given that the handguns would be much shorter than rifle, etc... Maybe they're dumb questions, but I'd rather know now that set up my range and find the problem in practice.

Thanks,

JCM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,478
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.