Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#5859147 11/29/11
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I have noticed that the TRG is not nearly as popular a rifle here as other places.

The one I am currently shooting was a lot less expensive than some of the custom guns I put together in the past and in hindsight I should have purchased a TRG 22 and 42 a long time ago, along with a pair of top end scopes and called it good. I would have been a ton of money ahead.

I cringe when I think of the $$ I have spent on custom rifles. Of couse the same goes for custom hanguns....

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sako definitely knows how to build 'em MS.
Everyone of those guns I've shot(three of my own plus a couple more that friends have had)were just great shooters - every bit as good as custom rigs I've had as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a great looking set up. I always watch for these on the 2nd hand market, but don't see them very often. I missed a local one last year for what I thought was an OK price - turns out I should have jumped on it.

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not put my TRG 42 .300 WM through it's paces yet, but it is by far the most accurate rifle I have ever put my hands on. Load development was a joke. It was a matter of picking what velocity I wanted to run the 180 acubonds at, not what powder charge the rifle liked.

Mackay, as you know from another forum, I was going to modify my TRG to make it a little more hunter friendly. I decided to leave it alone! I see you have a cheek piece spacer like mine- did you get it made from the fellow at SH?

I took mine beanfield hunting this past weekend, but did not have deer far enough away to shoot. Under 300 yards just ain't sporting to the deer.

I bought mine for the exact reason you mentioned. It is a relatively inexpensive out of the box rifle with a trigger that can't be beat, that shoots lights out. If someone is looking to carry this rifle for any distance, well that's another story (for me anyway).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm a fan here although I have nothing custom in the like to compare it against. Mines a .308 and shoots the 168 SMK/Varget combo excellent. It also shoots the 155 Scenar/Varget combo great. Not excellent because they don't one hole at 100 like the 168's do....at least for me. For the price I got it for it was hard for me to say no and go with a custom. Especially if I want to sell it if I didn't like it. Not the case with this guy. If I did one thing over, I wouldn't have gone so "heavy" on the badger rings/base to get it a little lighter for some future Beanfield style hunting.

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice rigs.

Now you all hush about the TRG's . I can't afford to totally devastate the budget on one. smile

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What about a rebarrel? Not so much of an issue with the 22/308 but definetely with the magnums.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I lugged mine up a tower stand this past weekend. It needs a freaking crane to get it up there, BUT once I got settled in, I felt like I could deliver the mail way the hell out there.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Sakoluvr,

To answer your question in regards to the cheekpiece spacer, yes it was made by the gentleman over at the Hide. His workmanship is top notch. In fact, Sako should contract with him, as his spacer is better than the factory ones I have seen.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I noticed that EuroOptic is offering a TRG in .260 Rem. Anyone have experience here?
Those are some sharp rigs. I particularly like the brown one, Mackay Sagebrush. Would love to see them offer a bit lighter weight version.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hey Mack! How the hell have ya been? It's always good to see that you're still above ground!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Gies340
I noticed that EuroOptic is offering a TRG in .260 Rem. Anyone have experience here?
Those are some sharp rigs. I particularly like the brown one, Mackay Sagebrush. Would love to see them offer a bit lighter weight version.

EuroOptic is good to go. Great service and comunication. You won't go wrong.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Whats the street price run on the TRG? I know I did a Surgeon RSR, brux barrel, CDI bottom metal and a BC light tactical stock for under $2000 and dont know what else I would need.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Short action, or long?

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've tested 3 different TRG-42 rifles in .338 Lapua and ALL THREE delivered tight groups back to 1400 yards! There's a lot of engineering that goes into these rifles! The average Joe...just wouldn't appreciate their quality! Make damn certain you clean after each shooting session to prevent copper buildup!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Hey Mack! How the hell have ya been? It's always good to see that you're still above ground!

Been gone since the first of december elk hunting. Just got back into town. Before that I was laying low, working. Been off the radar a while. Back on the screen again..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have any "real" use for them any longer - but they sure are fun to shoot

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Phil,

Can't tell you how hard I laughed you had Krylon on it!! I love it.

SC

"You only know one thing for sure about a broken down old man........He's the survivor...."

Incoming rounds have the right of way.....
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by BBsteel
Mines a .308 and shoots the 168 SMK/Varget combo excellent. It also shoots the 155 Scenar/Varget combo great. Not excellent because they don't one hole at 100 like the 168's do....at least for me.
[Linked Image]

You should shoot your Scenar load at 2 or 300 yds, and compare it to the SMKs. The Scenar isn't a 100yd bullet. I've read and heard from many they don't stabilize until 100-150yds. I kind of believe them. My groups aren't all that great at 100, better at 200, but 3 and 400 they are awesome.

Just something to consider.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Whats the street price run on the TRG? I know I did a Surgeon RSR, brux barrel, CDI bottom metal and a BC light tactical stock for under $2000 and dont know what else I would need.

How long ago was that? A RSR bare action is listed at $1250. Their complete rifles seem to start at $4,200 on their website. You did fantastic for less than $2,000.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 713 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.