Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This site has been terrible to my check book just with the classifieds and than with every thread about a new custom build I've been wanting one of my own more and more.

Don't have un-limited funds and I just want to start accumulating a few peaces at a time and would like to get on Kampfelds waiting list 12-18 months down the road.

Don't see any sense in buying a 400-500.00 Remington action and than having it worked on and a sako ejector intalled, so might as well go custom

Stiller Predator LA (.280 Ackley)
Barrel, no idea? 1/10 twist? Feel free to chime in
Jewel trigger
PT&G aluminum bottom metal

Would like the completed rifle to finish off around 7 1/2 lbs. Don't want a featherweight, but don't want a pig either as I do appreciate light rifles.
Was thinking about a #3 contour, would like flutes just for the looks more than anything. I'd want them contrasting to the barrel color. Or if fluting should a #4 be considered?

Was thinking about ordering a Edge stock, not sure if I'd go with the Rem Mtn. contour or try a Sako Hunter? Have read a #4 won't work in and edge, so ??

Mainly used for White tails and Antelope, maybe an Elk or two?

I've got the following, 30-30, 375 Win, .243, 7mm-08 (x2), .308 (x2), 30-06 (x2), 7mm Rem Mag. So I can't say this is a practical build in anyway, but just a want and I've always wanted a .280 also.

Life is just one damned thing after another
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd run 1-9" and a #1 or at most #2 PN contour without flutes but that don't seem what you are looking for.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I would like to try a predator myself one day. Have looked at them and handled them, and they seem pretty top notch. Give Brux barrels some consideration. I have two and am pretty happy with them. I have and like the PT&G aluminum bottom metal. Havent tried a Sako Hunter yet, but getting ready to try a Remington Hunter due to having a #5 barrel. Supposed to be the same shape otherwise. Sounds like a good project.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
+1 on the 1:9 twist

A number 3 is my fav for a rebarrel not to heavy and but heavy enough that 3 shots don't smoke the barrel. I also like useing the lilja match SS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I second the Brux barrels, they are some of the best if not the best barrels. I have installed quite a few of them this past year and they are perfect or as close as you can get to it. And I would do either 280 or 280 ai.

IC B2

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the input so far, in all honesty I know nothing about different barrel makes and don't know a whole lot about twists either.

Looking to probably shoot mainly 160g pills, I've got two different 7mm-08's if I want to shoot anything lighter.

Life is just one damned thing after another
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Lilja #3 w/flutes by Karl. Yes, I agree with the custom action.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That weight barrel may be a little heavy in a edge stock. I have a Douglas #3 in a classic edge and its a little more nose heavy than I will do again. I would think #1 no flutes or #2 with flutes(Pac-Nor)....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should call Karl and talk with him. Get his opinion on stiller. He is going to steer you in another direction on the action. You might want to check out Phoenix as a option as well or Borden if you want to spend the money.

If you want to finish around 7.5 pounds you probably want to go with a #1 or #2 and a MCM edge. You could get there with standard fill depending on your scope choice. Definitely go with the 1 in 9 twist. If you wanted fluted a #3 would probably work.

Here is my build that should be done any time. Karl is building it for me.

280 Ack.
Borden Timberline
Lilja #1 cut at 23"
MCM Mt Rifle with edge fill
PTG bottom metal
Jewell trigger
Talley light weight rings
Leupold 6x36

I wanted to be right around 6 3/4 pounds and should be pretty close.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Da older I get the more I look at these things a bit differently than when I was younger.

So keep that in mind while this older (not old!) dawg offers up some thoughts.

7 1/2 lbs all ready to rock isn't too tough to meet these days. I'd suggest a couple of options and you can take the rest of the cash, not sure how much it is but I'd bet you could save at least half of the cost of the Kampfield. You'd make weight, it'd shoot just as good or plenty good enough and you could put the money into a hunt fund.

Option A=buy a Kimber Montana in 7 WSM, add Talley's, a Uncle Mikes Mtn sling, and a 6x36 Leo with LR dotz on it.

Option B=wait and see if they do the Kimber Montana 84L (aka Middele Sky) in 280 AI. If they do that then outfit the same and you'll be sub 7 lbs all up and ready to rock!

Option C=buy a 700 barreled action in 280, have it punched to AI if you wish, add a Ti take off handle, and the same mounts sling and scope as on the others. Even with the standard contour barrel you'll make weight.

Just a guess here but you'll most likely save 1500 or so and you can put that towards a hunt you've always wanted to do.

Best of luck to ya,

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
To take to an extreme, I could just as easily grab my tang sighted 99 and hunt forever.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I would look at the Surgeon's new stainless round action,go with a Rock Creek #3 9" twist @24",in a Mcm standard or Edge fill stock,I have pretty much this same setup except with a Borden Alpine Mag action chambered in 7WSM the perfect carry rifle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slg888
Lilja #3 w/flutes by Karl. Yes, I agree with the custom action.

If ya gotta have flutes, this is the way to go.

If you can fudge on the flutes...Lilja #2, stainless 6 groove.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a .280 Factory Sporter Remington in a McMillan Standard fill Hunter pattern. It weighs right at 8lbs with scope. I have ordered a Bartlein #3 for it that is slightly smaller than the factory barrel. Finished at 24", it should weigh in at about 7 3/4 lbs and will punch it to .280AI as well. Not sure but I may have the bolt and barrel fluted by Karl. Should bring it down to 7.5 lbs.
Lee

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
To take to an extreme, I could just as easily grab my tang sighted 99 and hunt forever.

That sir, is not taking anything to the extreme . . . . . .

Its just good sense.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 41 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,509
Posts18,452,629
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.