Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Was wondering if it doable to make a copy (double) of a winchester LH mod 70 stock for a SA LH Ruger MKII/Hawkeye SA LH or not doable ?

see you

BP-B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All you need is money.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And someone who can actually build it...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Try calling this dude. I'm wanting to. But I'm scared he'll say he can do what I'm asking...

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4233640/1

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you're handy with a rasp and file you can do it yourself. Slim down the whole stock and work the tip into a schnable. Sweeping the pistol grip back further might not be possible but you could get close on your own. There is an article on trimming down Ruger stocks in an old issue of "Rifle" from the 70s. Came out looking nice.

Next best bet is to contact a stock duplicator, like Mike Kokolus, www.gunstockduplicating.com, or someone else with a duplicator and see if he can inlet a Winchester featherweight turned blank for a Ruger 77II. Have you figured out whether the Win FWT stock will accomodate a 77II dimensionally? Particularly in the tang area, I don't have a 77II on hand to compare but if the tangs are radically different simply duplicating a Win 70 stock won't work.

Last edited by Oregon45; 07/18/10.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What Steelhead said...

There will be no cheap and easy way to do it without expensive handwork.

As long as you do not need and exact copy of the Winchester "Curly- Q" Checkering pattern- the least expensive route will be getting an existing Ruger Walnut factory stock. Then reshape the forend to schnabble shape and then rechecker to match the grip.

The butt need not be touched as it is pretty much the same design as the Featherwweight.

A 'smith like Dennis Olson would be perfect for such work and my guess is it would be $250 + for the rework which will include the time for reshaping and recheckering the forearm and a full refinish .

If you want a copy of the winchester checkering pattern Count on at least $200+ on to that total for the work to remove the grip checkering and the fancier pattern.

If you want a full blown copy mill from scratch- Winchester m70 Featherweight stock with a Ruger inlet, again- there is NO cheap way to do that. It is nearly impossible to properly "crossbred" an outer pattern shape with a different inlet pattern without making an entirely new pattern made.

Any good stockmaking craftsman is going to charge you a minimum of $500 + for just the pattern work alone and that is if THEY keep it when it is done.

And once you have the stock milled to shape- you STILL have the finish and checkering work to do.

Like I said, the cheapest route is going to be to start with a Ruger factory stock.

Last edited by jim62; 07/18/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
thanks guys.

now i have an idea and i think i ll try to stay on the Ruger stock idea and schnabble shape and the rechecking.

thanks again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.