Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am buying a Ruger African 9.3x62
I want to do some modifications to the stock
One is just a simple ebony tip
the second is a question
Should I put cross bolts in the stock as have heard of splitting issues?
any advice on who can do the work? i can ship the gun

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Ruger Hawkeye African, in 375 Ruger. It proved to be very accurate with TSX handloads before the stock split.
IMO, no matter how much you reinforce this stock, it will fail under repeated use. It looks cool, but just not enough meat to withstand heavy recoil.

I now have on order both a Hogue Alaskan and a Mcmillan stock. Whichever one shoots best, and holds up, gets to stay. I really like the cartridge and action. It"s a real shame Ruger dropped the ball on stock design. It"s not just me- reports of cracked Hawkeye stocks are all over.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Contact "Karnis" here on the 'fire.

He is da' man.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This was a factory stock from a tang safety Ruger:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He reshaped it, added the ebony tip, crossbolts, refinished, added the red pad. You get the idea...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another +1 on Karnis...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I have a Ruger Hawkeye African, in 375 Ruger. It proved to be very accurate with TSX handloads before the stock split.
IMO, no matter how much you reinforce this stock, it will fail under repeated use. It looks cool, but just not enough meat to withstand heavy recoil.

I now have on order both a Hogue Alaskan and a Mcmillan stock. Whichever one shoots best, and holds up, gets to stay. I really like the cartridge and action. It"s a real shame Ruger dropped the ball on stock design. It"s not just me- reports of cracked Hawkeye stocks are all over.

That blows. Was it glass bedded?

Travis

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ingwe
Another +1 on Karnis...

me too...but....

careful....he could get a swelled cranium.... grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This is not the first account I've read concerning the Hawkeye stock with big boomers. Looks like Ruger could glass bed the recoil lug and make sure there's some space behind the tang. How hard would that be? Seems to me that would save them a lot of money and promote customer satisfaction.

DF

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
This is not the first account I've read concerning the Hawkeye stock with big boomers. Looks like Ruger could glass bed the recoil lug and make sure there's some space behind the tang. How hard would that be? Seems to me that would save them a lot of money and promote customer satisfaction.

DF

Did yours crack?

Travis

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Did yours crack?

Travis

I don't have one and probably won't. I've read of more than one account of this happening. Where there's smoke, there may be a fire...

Just saying...

DF

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bed it properly and relieve the wood behind the tang and it should run fine. I believe the Ruger comes with crossbolt(s) installed. I would remove it and acraglass it back in to ensure full contact of the bolt with the wood.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tony
Bed it properly and relieve the wood behind the tang and it should run fine. I believe the Ruger comes with crossbolt(s) installed. I would remove it and acraglass it back in to ensure full contact of the bolt with the wood.

+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Easy problem to solve. Buy an accubedded Savage in 9.3x62. Cheaper, better trigger, removable magazine, excellent "irons" and you'll never have to worry about Weather or losing it. (ungulates are color blind)

I had my tang safe 77 35 Whelen crossbolted and the recoil lug glass bedded as highly figured stocks, especially American Walnut are more fragile.

Savage and Ruger (pre crossbolt)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Just waitin till June....... eh Bricktop ?

You still underground, hiding out...:o

DF

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Did you guys ever see a photo of Finn Aagard's old P-64 Model 70 375 H&H? They were notorious for splitting stocks also. His had some homemade crossbolts and epoxy to fix it. It isn't just a Ruger issue.

I wonder how many gun loony's actually torque the Model 77 action screws back to Ruger factory specs after they have had the action out of the stock and then have the cracking happen. I had to borrow a torque wrench from my brother to get to 92 inch pounds as I only had the one that would go to a max of 65 inch pounds or one that started at 10 foot pounds and went up.

I think Travis's rifle looks nice and the poster George De Vries 3rd had similar upgrades done on his African. Mine is in a Ruger factory synthetic stock currently while I upgrade some things on my stock.

Can you use the McMillan standard fill on a rifle like a .375 Ruger or is magnum fill required? I would think that the 9.3mm would be fine in a standard fill McMillan stock.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wow, Phasmid, 92 inch pounds is TIGHT! Is that a Ruger recommendation? I thought 65 inch pounds in a non skim bedded HS Precision was pretty tight.

With that much torque, you'd need socket screws, as it would be pretty hard to not mess up slotted screws with that much power behind the wrench.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Apologies to the OP for dirtyfarmer pirating your thread, but lies need to be answered where ever they appear.

Nope, dirtyfarmer, been right here in Key West where I have since late December.
Hardly "hiding out" since your "boy" Bricky published all my addresses and phone numbers right here on the site.

In June I'll be back in WY, Bricky will not show up and will be outed on every site all our members belong to.

Trolls, like you, will look like fools for backing a serial liar and even buying into his fake "road trip".

It will be EPIC !

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Dirtfarmer,

Definitely "farmer tight"! That is what I thought too. I watched the re-assembly video posted here a while back to refresh my memory when I reinstalled my modified wing safety. http://www.ruger.com/resources/videos.html and heard "95 inch pounds or 7.9 foot pounds" that must be a mistake and/or is only for their synthetic stock. I called Ruger and talked to a tech and he said it is also recommended for the wood stocked rifles. I note that most Remington and Winchester bolt action have always had crossbolts or more accurately cross pins (threaded brass rod on the old wood 700 adl) stocks on their stocks: at least on the web between the trigger and magazine well. I think Ruger's system must work if it is torqued to spec and there is enough releif behind the tang. Bill Ruger was pretty adept at designing firearms.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by interthem
Apologies to the OP for dirtyfarmer pirating your thread, but lies need to be answered where ever they appear.

Nope, dirtyfarmer, been right here in Key West where I have since late December.
Hardly "hiding out" since your "boy" Bricky published all my addresses and phone numbers right here on the site.

In June I'll be back in WY, Bricky will not show up and will be outed on every site all our members belong to.

Trolls, like you, will look like fools for backing a serial liar and even buying into his fake "road trip".

It will be EPIC !

Thread pirating is your game, not mine.

DF

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
deflave thanks for photos and pointing me to Karnis
That is what I am looking for both form and function rolled into one
I will press on with African
Now whether to go high gloss or matte on metal finish?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 63 invisible), 3,022 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,010
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.