-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thought I would share some of the upcoming projects that I have been thinking about. I have been privileged to own several custom rifles from some of the best custom builders IMHO (Burgess, Fisher, Milliron, Hoenig). I am planning to build a few from some of the current generation of smiths.

I benefited from a dad who had a passion for Mausers, Model 70's both custom and original, I now have the sickness. My 2 young boys will some day inherit some nice rifles.

Here is what I have in mind.

Barreled action. Sako AII action, PacNor Super Match, .260 Rem. 26" tube, looking for a stick of wood.

Left - Right

Granite Mountain Small Double Sq. Bridge action. Thinking Steve Heilmann and .250 Savage.

(2) G33-40 actions. Thinking Joe Smithson .280 Rem, and .35 Whelen

Pre 64 Winchester Model 70. Blackburn bottom metal. Thinking Mark Penrod metal work, James Tucker wood. 7mm Rem Mag.

Pre-War Winchester Model 70. Blackburn bottom metal. Thinking Mark Penrod metal work, James Tucker wood. 7x57.

Not pictured...

Waffenfabrik Sq. Bridge Magnum Mauser .416 Rigby Kreiger Barrel.
(2) Brno 21 actions.... Undecided.

What say you, any suggestions?

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holy cow, that's some nice hardware. Looks like you have enough irons in the fire to last a few years, those will make some fine heirlooms.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not go to DSC the first weekend in January and look at the goodies there; will help to make up your mind, most of those guys will be there.

Last edited by Jkob; 11/11/12.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Blackburn is out of business unless you already have your bottom metal.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have several sets, 3 of them for Model 70's are pictured.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ted has retired, but his equipment, tooling, drawings, etc., have been purchased by Swift bullet company and Bill Hober. Swift is now manufacturing Blackburn bottom metal and has many models in stock for immediate delivery, or did last I heard.

TT

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I took delivery of Swift/Blackburn metal just this past week for a pre-64 M70. Indistinguishable from Ted's old product.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also, here's one that I packed up this afternoon, and will ship off to Gary Goudy next week. Have a look. The pre-64 barreled action is chambered for the 9.3x62 cartridge.

TT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That is going to be NICE!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whitebird,

Your choice of materials and craftsmen is superb. . Can't think of much, if anything, that I would change.

TT

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tsquare
Whitebird,

Your choice of materials and craftsmen is superb. . Can't think of much, if anything, that I would change.

TT

Thanks TT..

I wish I had a few sets of Burgess bottom metal, along with a few of his QD mounts.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also, here's one that I packed up this afternoon, and will ship off to Gary Goudy next week. Have a look. The pre-64 barreled action is chambered for the 9.3x62 cartridge.

TT

[Linked Image]

That is one of the most beautiful pieces of walnut I've ever seen Tom! Please keep us updated on it's progress.

Terry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Terry,

Thanks, it is a pretty nice stick. However, it does have one flaw that might render it unusable. I'll have to wait for Gary to whittle on it for awhile to be sure, one way or the other. That stick had been cut for twenty or more years when I bought it about ten or twelve years ago. In the blank, there were no visible flaws. However, when another stockmaker cut into it, he found a lead bullet imbedded in the blank. The tree had grown around the bullet, encapsulating it inside the wood. Most likely some kid many, many years ago, shot into the tree with a .22, although that is but a guess. Anyway, hopefully the blank can be salvaged as it is a very nice stick of English. I'll keep you posted. Never worry though, I do have a plan B, just in case.
TT

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Have the model 70 actions trued.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't speak for Whitebird, but he says he's thinking of Mark Penrod for the metalwork on his pre-64s, so I would make a guess that they have not yet been trued. In the one that I posted, it has been ground and trued.

TT

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Terry,

Thanks, it is a pretty nice stick. However, it does have one flaw that might render it unusable. I'll have to wait for Gary to whittle on it for awhile to be sure, one way or the other. That stick had been cut for twenty or more years when I bought it about ten or twelve years ago. In the blank, there were no visible flaws. However, when another stockmaker cut into it, he found a lead bullet imbedded in the blank. The tree had grown around the bullet, encapsulating it inside the wood. Most likely some kid many, many years ago, shot into the tree with a .22, although that is but a guess. Anyway, hopefully the blank can be salvaged as it is a very nice stick of English. I'll keep you posted. Never worry though, I do have a plan B, just in case.
TT

That just means it HAS to be a rifle stock. Christened from the beginning. Bullet scar on the stock wouldn't bother me much if it was only cosmetic.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.