Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Anyone know anything about the Rifle Ranch in Prescott Az.?

Saw a very nice custom 7mm Mauser at a local gun shop and it had 1625 Rifle Ranch Prescott AZ engraved on the top of the barrel. Seems like a beautiful rifle. Didn't know if this was an address, a Gun shop, or what. Google only showed a possible link to J&G Sales in Prescott, not much else.

Thanks for any info

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great action! Sorry I know notta about the Rifle Ranch but I seem to recall it being talked about years gone back.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Gotta love the internet for some things.

A little more research associated the Rifle Ranch with the name of Jim Wilkinson, who actually passed away in 2001. His business was called the Rifle Ranch, located north of Prescott, Az., and he apparently was one of the bigger mail order suppliers of reloading components in the 1960's prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968. After that, his business focused mostly on retail sales. He also built custom rifles labelled RIFLE RANCH which, according to an article written about him and his passion for hunting, sold for up to $5000 at the time???

Interestingly, he was supposedly the tenth person to collect the "Super Slam" of all the world's wild sheep and was a real close friend of Jack O'Connor. Jack supposedly sold Mr. Wilkinson his 3rd 270 Win., a pre-war M70 customized with a "Lindon" stock and Stith scope/mount.

Interesting!!!

The only other reference to a Rifle Ranch custom is a M70 375 H&H a guy was asking about a few years ago. He didn't seem to get much in the way of information. I'm wondering if the 1625 is something to do with the address of the Rifle Ranch or maybe a serial # of sort... you'd think if there were 1625 rifles out there , you'd find a little more information.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Champlin arms knows about them. I do know that they used to sell semi-custom Weatherby Mark Vs with classic style stocks. They would use top shelf stocks and they are fairly valuable.

Sincerely,
Thomas

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think prior to moving to Prescott they were in Turner, Montana and always advertised in Shotgun News. They always had some good deals. It became J&G Sales.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Jim Wilkinson had apparently lived in the Prescott area permanently since the 1940's, ranching on what was called the "Rifle Ranch". Several newspaper articles online referenced some of his sheep hunting exploits back into the 1950's when he was still working on his "Grand Slam". Sounds like the Rifle Ranch reloading component business and the custom guns came later and the endeavors were physically located on the ranch property.

As I mentioned before, Mr. Wilkinson died in 2001. I didn't see any mention of ties to Montana. I wonder if he sold the business to the people from Montana and they combined the two to form J&G Sales at the same location.

Never been through Prescott. It does seem like there are quite a few popular firearms businesses there!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are they asking for the rifle?

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
$1400.

The stock was a highly figured piece of walnut with fine checkering and a cheekpiece, checkered metal pistol grip cap, and a Pachmayr pad. The barrel appeared to be a custom barrel but other than 1625 RIFLE RANCH Prescott AZ and 7X57, I didn't see any other markings. It had a model 70 style safety and the hinged floorplate had an engraved sheep scene if I remember correctly.

It sure shouldered nicely and seemed pretty light too!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should purchase that rifle for that price. To duplicate that rifle today would be somewhere in the $7500 range if all of the work is top notch and the engraving is good. You say it has a hinged floorplate. Is the floorplate the original flooplate worked over, or is it a commercial model like a Blackburn?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By all means, buy the rifle, it's a steal. Jim Wilkinson was a dear friend of mine and I've spent many hours in his Rifle Ranch store in Prescott. Chances are that Bob Hooper stocked the rifle as he was Jim's stockmaker for many years. By the way, there is no connection between Wilkinson's Rifle Ranch and the business by the same or very similar name from Montana. The Montana business moved to Prescott several years ago and changed their name. I've forgotten what the new name is. They are still in business in Prescott.

TT

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J&G Sales is the name of the business that moved from Montana and changed their name. There is no connection between them and Jim Wilkinson's Rifle Ranch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
lundtroller

Did you buy the Rifle?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bump

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tsquare
By all means, buy the rifle, it's a steal.

A beat up G33-40 in military garb will fetch upwards to 2K. Buy it.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 01/06/13. Reason: spellin'
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I did pick it up yesterday at the recommendations of those here on the 'fire. I was out of my comfort zone with this rifle given my lack of knowledge concerning "customs" and Mausers for that matter.
It sure is pretty!
I emailed some pictures to 22WRF and tsquare. They are welcome to post them if they have time.

Thanks for the interest!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lundtroller
I did pick it up yesterday at the recommendations of those here on the 'fire. I was out of my comfort zone with this rifle given my lack of knowledge concerning "customs" and Mausers for that matter.
It sure is pretty!
I emailed some pictures to 22WRF and tsquare. They are welcome to post them if they have time.

Thanks for the interest!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking good so far!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not only does it look like you got a very good price but it probably also has some interesting history.

Prescott was a Mecca for fine guns with A&M and the Rifle Ranch in operation there back then. Almost had a lefty built by A&M in the early 70's wish I had done it.

Between these two shops and some of their apprentices it was almost a gun guild as they would trade work back and forth. Just guessing it probably has an A&M barrel and they are usually really good.

More photos please.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I lose that POS redfield base, dyna-bore coat the bore, order a swirly stock and hunt with that rifle. That stock is WAY to valuable to hunt with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 79 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,688
Posts18,456,480
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.