Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
This is our first attempt at a truly lightweight rifle. It's not fully done yet but it's far enough along to test. Deer season started last weekend so it's in time to log a few miles and maybe bag a deer with it. We got hung up waiting on the right rings to fit this odd combination. After the hunting seasons are over the stock will be refinished and have webbing or something creative added to it. BTW, painting the stock and Cerakoting the metal added 4 ounces to the rifle. Compared to the 10 pound Accumark I usually hunt with this thing is unreal. It feels like a precision toy.

If we could find a plastic 308 follower and whittled on the mag box a little I think we could get back under 6 pounds pretty easy. This scope weighs 15.1 ounces but I do like the illuminated reticle.

Here is the specs. 7mm-08AI. The complete rifle minus ammo and sling as shown weighs 98.2 ounces.

The parts list includes:
Pierce Engineering Ti short action
Ultralight Bolt and Ti handle upgrade
Pierce .250� Titanium lug pinned to the action.
Holland aluminum trigger guard
Remington steel follower, mag spring and stainless mag well.
Krieger 7mm 4 groove 9.5 twist #0 barrel finished at 23�
Pendleton lightweight stock with 2 aluminum cross bolts added. Pillar bedded and free floated barrel. ��
Cerakote in H-146 Graphite Black
Jewel trigger
Talley light weight rings
Leupold VX-R 4-12x40 CDS 30mm. #111238.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like a mountain hunters dream rifle. Can't wait to see how it shoots! Very nice work.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How is the bolt? It almost looks like it would take a bit of shooting to get used to that handle. The build looks great, hope it preforms up to your expectations. Have you had a chance to put it on paper yet?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
We shot some 150 Partitions through it at 300 yards to sight it in on a clay bank. Then assassinated some pine cones and other small sticks that were just laying around from 100 to 300 yards.

This is the only paper shot with it so far. This is a Fed Ex Medium flat rate box with the security tape stop sign stuck on it. Sighted in at 300 yards we backed into the 100 yard zero using Exbal.

That skinny little bolt handle actually feels pretty good. Part of the whole "toy" feeling.

My son Brady did shoot 3 shots at a card board box at 100 yards wobbling around on a stump with a single point rest. It wasn't anything to speak about. Probably 3/4" vertical and around 2" horizontal. I didn't measure. Next time I will shoot it from a bench and use my mechanical rest. The load was 49 grains of RL-22 clocking 2660 so far on the Magneto Speed. These were all fire forming new Norma brass as we go. I've been searching high and low for 150 grain Nosler long Range Accubonds. Then we will see what she will do. With the Krieger I kind of expect it to shoot pretty well.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Shame it don't have a stainless tube.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
No one would build this barrel in stainless. That would have been easier to care for the chamber and bore in bad weather.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You said you liked the scope but you could shave off quite a bit with different optics and it looks "big" to me on the rifle. Good looking rig, don't get me wrong, just my 2 pennies worth.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice Looking Rig

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Really nice rifle.

To say that no one would make a stainless barrel in that contour isn't correct though. Hart, Lilja, Pac-Nor, to name a few would do it. You might have wanted to stick with a cut rifle tube though.

I'm with the OP on the scope though, the scope is the worst place to shave weight. It's where you give up the most performance by trying to go light. A great scope like that is worth the extra 4-5 ozs.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Cut rifling was the preference. When I can I use Bartlein but they wouldn't go this light so Krieger was chosen because I have a bunch of positive experience with them. We even looked into some guy that is going even lighter with some sort of cold spray on metal technology. We had to pass for now as he hasn't quite perfected it and I guess he blew up a couple barrels.

This scope really makes the rifle. It's nice to be able to see.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
R
How do you like the action? Silky smooth? and feeding issues with the AI?

Rick
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I runs really smooth and feeds perfect with the Nosler Partitions. I hope it works as well with the LRAB's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Douglas would build that contour in SS as well. Builds them for Mel all the time.
Kreiger won't in stainless, neither will brux, ironically based on kreiger's cold weather shooting liability/policy.

The Vx-r in 33mm will save you two ounces over the 40mm.
Figure if you're going "ultralight" all options are on the table.

Great build, thanks for posting!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Great looking rifle, really like the bolt. Hope the accubonds shoot well for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HiredGun
Cut rifling was the preference. When I can I use Bartlein but they wouldn't go this light so Krieger was chosen because I have a bunch of positive experience with them. We even looked into some guy that is going even lighter with some sort of cold spray on metal technology. We had to pass for now as he hasn't quite perfected it and I guess he blew up a couple barrels.

This scope really makes the rifle. It's nice to be able to see.

This is a Brux that my Gunsmith's proprietary contour. Custom turned 3 step barrel...

Score High Gunsmithing Lightweight Packer

[Linked Image]

Are you able to do a custom contour on a barrel?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
How do you like the pendleton stock? I have been looking for a short fore end sythetic for awhile. Could it be inletted for a mauser? BTW Cool Rifle!

Last edited by jauntymorel; 10/17/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're referring to the rifle above, it's a High Tech/Bansner lightweight stock

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Can I do a custom contour? That is no problem at all but this is as light as Krieger will make one. It seems pretty thin. I can't imagine making it much thinner. What does your Lightweight Packer weigh in ounces?

The stock is light that is for sure. As a blank it was 16 ounces. It feels like working with a potato chip. It looks like they make them for a few different rifles. http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/Pendleton-Composite-Stocks.html

I finally got to shoot it off a proper bench. The same fire forming loads as before actually shoots consistent 3/4 MOA. Something I didn't notice at all from field position that showed up at the bench is the amount of kick for such a light round.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm with the OP on the scope though, the scope is the worst place to shave weight. It's where you give up the most performance by trying to go light. A great scope like that is worth the extra 4-5 ozs.

I couldn't agree more. When I did my ultralight I decided on a max weight of 18 ounces. The one I chose weighs 18.1 and is very good in low light.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
HiredGun,

What does the action weigh?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
841 members (1234, 12344mag, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 3,242 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,249
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.