Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I got a Ti bolt handle and an alloy guard bow from sources mentioned here. Saved 2oz. Cut barrel 24 to 22".. reduced 2oz more.
With 10 oz scope and Talley mounts...around 6#.

Last edited by RinB; 01/11/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I find zero need to make it lighter, but could find a need to make it slightly heavier, at least in barrel weight.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Brad, my plan, when I bought it, was to shoot the barrel out ASAP. I have lots of brass and practice bullets. Then I planned to install a 1-9 Kreiger that will add about 8-10 oz.
I took it to the range and with two factory loads it averaged .4" for 3. May have derailed my plan.
Gives me leeway to use a heavier scope, say 16 oz.
I do like the longer bolt handle.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lightened my Kimber 270 down to 4 pounds 14 oz.

Cut 3" off the barrel (back to 21")
Bored it out to .338 bore diameter.
TI bolt
Aluminum trigger guard

So with a 17 oz VX-6 2-12x42 it's 6 pounds 2 oz.

I agree that lightening them up to justify in your mind a heavier scope.

Or you end up arguing about which scope to use because a weaver 6x is a 1/2 oz heavier than a leupold 6x. If weight of a rifle doesn't matter so much who cares how much a given rifle scope weighs right?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yeah, it would be hard to mess with a rifle when it's shooting that well, enjoy.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
Yeah, it would be hard to mess with a rifle when it's shooting that well, enjoy.

^^^^^^^Sounds like an awesome rifle right now with it shooting that well... I'd be taking care of that one, shoot it and enjoy it. Hopefully the op won't have to change that barrel for a long time.... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

TI bolt
Aluminum trigger guard

Or you end up arguing about which scope to use because a weaver 6x is a 1/2 oz heavier than a leupold 6x. If weight of a rifle doesn't matter so much who cares how much a given rifle scope weighs right?

To me, a heavier scope makes the rifle too top heavy: Adversely affecting balance...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

To me, a heavier scope makes the rifle too top heavy: Adversely affecting balance...

Me too. Especially on a rifle that's pretty light to begin with.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Me too. Especially on a rifle that's pretty light to begin with.

Casey

It's never really bothered me,but I just shoot them,I don't juggle them.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Haha good point. I wonder if those who don't like a 19oz scope on a light rifle have ever used one?....or just doesn't seem like it is a good idea?

I have 3-9ss on a 223 Montana and compact nxs on a fw 280AI in a edge. Both feel and balance just fine.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I get it Rick. Sounds like a great rifle!

Here's mine with 22.5" bbl:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just curious, other than the extra cost, why wouldn't you whack an inch off the barrel shank and have it rechambered? Seems like a bigger weight reduction vs cutting of the other end? Don't have a dog in this fight, truly just curious.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

TI bolt
Aluminum trigger guard

Same here.

My BIL has a Mountain Ascent with a Zeiss Z5 on top. That rifle is far too top-heavy for my tastes.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 30338
Just curious, other than the extra cost, why wouldn't you whack an inch off the barrel shank and have it rechambered? Seems like a bigger weight reduction vs cutting of the other end? Don't have a dog in this fight, truly just curious.

For me it's not about weight loss, but balance. 22.5" gives the exact amount of barrel forward the forearm as the 84M MT. Looks and feels "righter" than 24" to my eye, and gives the rifle the same OAL as the M70 LA FWT, which has always been a nicely balanced rifle in my hand. Also, cutting the shank back opens the stock up around the shank, which then needs bedding and possibly paint.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 84M and 84L lay and balance so nicely in the hand that I no longer use a sling on mine.....I guess one could call that a weight saving.

Heavy scopes mounted high I find cumbersome and distracting. When I mounted a 6x36 on my 84L, I used X-Low Talleys and found the bolt handle barely touching the scope so I took a bit off the shank of the TI bolt handle with my 1" belt sander.

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
My favorite scope for a hunting rifle is the Leupold 3x9 Compact UL. I think they go about 10 oz. They are really tough. Mine survived my 7.5# 375 AI. (that thing found a new place to live).

Last edited by RinB; 01/12/17.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

TI bolt
Aluminum trigger guard

I originally mourned an 11.5 oz 3-9x40 on it and honestly can't tell you the difference in how it feels with the 5 oz difference in hand. Balance point seems the same. Aside from what the numbers tell me on the scale there would be no way for me to tell what is actually mounted on there between the two scopes while in hand so I opted for the scope with the wider power range especially since this is my brown bear rifle where I really find the 2x handy.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I swapped an Italian shotgun pad (1.5 oz IIRC), an aluminum trigger guard and a bit more paint on my 270 Montana. It balances beautifully for me and goes 6# 1 oz scoped, empty, sling-less.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Earlier post: why wouldn't you whack an inch off the barrel shank and have it rechambered?

If I did that, first I would send it to Greg Tannel to have the action "blueprinted".

At some point it is wise to leave really great alone.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RinB
Earlier post: why wouldn't you whack an inch off the barrel shank and have it rechambered?

If I did that, first I would send it to Greg Tannel to have the action "blueprinted".

At some point it is wise to leave really great alone.

That's worthy of saying again.I bet more than a few rifle loonies have messed up accuracy on a great shooting rifle trying to make it even better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 31 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.