24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ok turkey experts, I am stupid and need some help. What are the main differences between merriams and rio turkeys? How do I tell them apart? I am hunting in Wy (Merriams) and Nebraska (both) and need some help

Thanks

BP-B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The Rio's have lighter, but still tan Tail Feather tips. They have a rather 'bronze' appearance, but not as pronounced as the big Easterns.

The Merriam's have a lot of white toward the back and the Tail Feathers tips are very white. The white bands on the wings are wider on a Merriam's, giving an almost all white appearance.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Great thanks for the info. I thought I was shooting Merriams but my buddy thought Rio's. Looks like I will have to pull old fans out of the freezer and study them better.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Because Wyoming has had so much help from people dumping domestic Eastern turkeys out after bad winters, which have interbred with the wild turkeys, or from domestics going back to the mountain with the wild birds, if it isn't white, it isn't a Merriam's. That means the tail tips and coverts at the base of the tail on the back have to be white. If they're tan, it's a hybrid. Lots of turkey flocks in the Black Hills contain no Merriam's these days, and I've killed two Easterns up there near Newcastle that were going along to the mountain with wild birds.
The Rios I've shot have all had tan tail tips and tail coverts, some lighter, some darker, and they tend to be lankier, with longer legs and longer beards.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DrHJH
Because Wyoming has had so much help from people dumping domestic Eastern turkeys out after bad winters, which have interbred with the wild turkeys, or from domestics going back to the mountain with the wild birds, if it isn't white, it isn't a Merriam's. That means the tail tips and coverts at the base of the tail on the back have to be white. If they're tan, it's a hybrid. Lots of turkey flocks in the Black Hills contain no Merriam's these days, and I've killed two Easterns up there near Newcastle that were going along to the mountain with wild birds.
The Rios I've shot have all had tan tail tips and tail coverts, some lighter, some darker, and they tend to be lankier, with longer legs and longer beards.

interesting

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DrHJH

why would someone from the east drive all the way to wyoming to dump some turkeys. you are nuts. we would just eat them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
471 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 45 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.