Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have some land which I put in some food plots. The deer and Turkey are here frequently. I also put in a Redneck Blind on a stand 8 foot high.

There are Turkeys on my cameras several times a month in this food plot. However not usually with the same timing that I have sitting there. I do see them on a neighbors triticalia and alfalfa field about 400 yards away almost every day.

I've never been a turkey hunter, never used a call, never used a decoy, never really got into the turkey hunting world. However with this land and the opportunity I find myself intrigued by them and I need to stick one with an arrow.

So regarding calls, or foods I can plant here. What would you use to get them here with a call? Then, What is Turkey candy for a food plot? What can I put in to compete with the alfalfa, triticalia and corn my neighbors have planted? Are there berry bushes, Russian olive, nuts? what do you think?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
in the south, Chufa, millet, milo, red clover and others....for spring

If you have some fields or pasture, mow and heavy fertilize early so the grass will be green for bugs and thus turkeys. A good green field in the spring is hard to beat...

Last edited by JBO69; 01/29/13.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I know they like Chufa. Around here it is mostly Soy beans or corn, fresh planted they dig it up. Cruise green grass for bugs. Hens also nest in thick grass so I wouldn't mow down all your grass.
If they are passing through your land from where they roost to the neighbors, will be no big issue killing one in transit. In the Spring toms range around looking for hens esp a couple hours after first light or right away if not roosted with hens. I have seen them go a mile or more just cruising around.

If you can set up fairly close to the roost in between them and where they want to go, a little calling with a hen/ jake pair decoy should have you with one in range eventually.

Isaiah 6:8

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's why I need the call. When the toms are cruising that's when I can hopefully pull them in.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would recommend a slate call with a wood pot and variety of strikers. They vary in price these are some of the best I've used.

Cane Creek Custom Slate

David Halloran Slate

They come with strikers, but I carry a couple different ones, the striker can really vary the pitch and rasp of your call.
Halloran Purple Heart
Woodhaven Birch Laminate

There are cheaper ones out there, such as the Primos Jackpot w/ Slate (not sure if this is still made, when I bought it it was around $30) that will work but the Halloran and the Cane Creek sound better to me. Once you are proficient you can add different strikers and friction calls such as glass, which gives a sharper sound than slate and works in wet weather.
Mouth calls are wonderful but have a steep learning curve to be proficient, if you have used one before for Elk it may be easier. Box calls are easier to use, and easier to cut and call louder, but only make one sound, the pitch and rasp doesn't vary much.
I carry a variety of calls with me these days, but if I could have only one call I would take a Slate call and that Woodhaven Birch lamanate striker. If I could have two, I would add a mouth call, specifically the Primos True double. It took me a few years to get good with the mouth call. I would suggest getting one to learn but keep it at home until you get proficient. It's a rare day where I can't get a response back using either the slate, glass or mouth call. Some days they like one, but wont have the other. It can be as simple as a striker change to either get them to come or run away paranoid, so it's important to have a variety.

This is the glass call I use
Cane Creek Glass call

Isaiah 6:8

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
751 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 83 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.