Print Thread
Hop To
R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Hello. Recently bought a Savage Model 6a .22. It was very dirty and neglected. I have given it a good cleaning (very good!). It will fire but not consistently from the tube mag. A few will fire, then a dud. Upon inspection the firing pin hit looks light on the duds. When the duds are tried again they go off. Tried many different brands with same results. When it functions properly I understand the nickname "clickity-clack" grin Do I need a new pin? Any suggestions or experience? Thanks.

Rob

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Did you get all of the crud and corruption out of the firing pin passageway in the bolt? Ditto the main spring? Ditto the inside surfaces of the bolt raceway (anyplace that crap can accumulate and soften/prevent the bolt from going into battery)? Ditto the face of the striker? If so, then the length of the pin may be at fault. I don't know what spec may be for it but if you send me the dimensions of yours I'll compare it to mine. Could be a starting point if nothing else.

The clickety-clack is kind of weird but I've gotten use to it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ring3
Hello. Recently bought a Savage Model 6a .22.

Rob

Good on you. I don't see how the new stuff sells with all the fine old 22 rifles that cost less than the new. Thats the semiautos anyway.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks. Love the older ones and you are right, they can be had for much less than new ones.

Gary, the rifle has been cleaned and oiled. Was a lot of crud and took some time to get it out. Sparkles now. Firing pin overall length is 4.672". It looks to be in great condition as do the springs. Tried 2 Federal brands and a Remington brand of ammo with same results. All were "bulk pack" types. I will try others by the weekend. Could the springs have become weak? What or who would be a source for new ones? Numrich does not show any results and if they did I'm not sure I would want used stuff that might not correct the problem. I'm not a smith and usually when I pretend to be one things get mis-assembled and/or lost. I'm learning a little lately however and getting braver.

Thanks.

Rob

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Rob, my firing pin mics 4.684". Maybe that is the source of your problem. Merely conjecture, I don't have a clue as to manufacturing tolerances on these things. Hope it helps.

Gary

IC B2

R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just shot it again using Rem Vipers and Rem Thunderbolts. Same problem. May have found one issue. Bolt hangs up a fraction after first shot. If I nudge in, subsequent shot fires. This happened repeatedly. If I do not push it in next shot is a miss-fire. I 'm thinking the springs are weak, or possibly the chamber needs some more cleaning/polishing attention. Firing pin is shorter than yours Gary and I will address that if necessary. Any suggestions on where to find new springs or how to properly clean/polish the chamber? Have not found anything on Numrich or Google search. Further advice welcome. BTW, rifle is real accurate. Groups are about 1" at 50 yards. All are high and I may need a shorter front sight. Using a Marbles #3 that came with the rifle. Rear sight is as low as elevator will go.

Rob

Rob

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Look for tiny burrs around the openings in the receiver too. Polish the bolt with some 800/1200/1500 grit and then crocus cloth. Check and make sure the cartridge lifter is working freely. Beyond that, while looking at mine, I can't see anything else that would interfere. I kind of doubt the mainspring is weak. Even a weak spring would close the bolt if nothing extraneous is in the way I would think.

I would be cautious about polishing the chamber. Maybe a tuft of 0000 steel wool on a stick spun in a drill motor, or some Flitz (or toothpaste) on a tuft of cotton waste spun likewise? Certainly nothing more, and very little of that.

Have you chambered a round and ejected it unfired to see if there are any marks on it pointing to a defect in the chamber?

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/05/10.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you don't mind hopping to a new board, there is lots of info on these autos and how to rebuild and troubleshoot them over on the Savage forum on www.rimfirecentral.com They are really neat guns when they work; can be a real puzzler when they don't.

(Please pardon me if you've already looked there!).

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If shooting high, you need a taller front sight to drop the muzzle. Moving the rear sight down is correct.
Have fun with it!

Bruce
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ring3,

Over on Gunboards, we discussed a similar problems in the .22 section there.

Before you go polishing, try tightening up the screws that hold the trigger group together--that was the issue causing similar feeding problems there.

The most common problem has to do with the shell lifter, but that seems to be fine in this case

IC B3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 73 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.