Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
I am starting the new year with renewed hope that I will find my great-grandfather's Model 1895 and get it back in the family. Here is what I know:

-sold by mistake in +/- 1983 in a yard sale in Oklahoma City, OK.
-.303 caliber.
-rifle/crescent butt plate.
-full-length octagonal barrel.
-three sets of sights: standard factory Buckhorn rear and blade front sight, a rear flip-up peep/tang sight, and a rear flip-up adjustable elevation type sight.
-s/n 32xx.
-it was in good shape back then.

I was not able to attend the Savage Fest this past Fall, but maybe I can this year. I know the chances are slim, but I would love to get this rifle back in the family. My great-grandfather and my grandfather hunted with it in Montana. Don't know if it may still be in OKC in a collector's closet or safe, but this is worth a try.

Please let me know if you might have this gun, or may know somebody who has it. I will offer a small cash reward if you can help me find it, and will pay a fair price to the current owner.

Richard (cell: 213-200-7934 or e-mail at faulrichgmail.com)

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Xing out the last two numbers doesn't really help.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was thinking the same.
Some people are too paranoid for their own good.
Probably don't help that we have members here telling people to x out the last two numbers. Nonsense.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

R
RLG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Send me a PM. I have 3 that start with 32.......Dick

"No balls, No blue chips."
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
deleted and moved

Last edited by fatjack34; 01/04/11.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
IC B2

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for looking and your comments. I am new to this and don't know what accepted practices are. By x'g out the last two digits I was just following what I had seen others doing. Also, I was worried that somebody might deface a good gun to make it appear to be the one I am looking for. I figured that somebody with an 1895 with those first two #'s would at least think about contacting me. I am hopeful that I can find it, but know the chances are slim. Thanks again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At least I know it ain't mine, it's wearing a round barrel.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
R
OP Offline
R
Here is more precise info regarding my great-grandfather's Model 1895 rifle that I am looking for:

1) There were three REAR sights: the standard Marlin/Ballard sight, a flip-up peep sight on the tang, and behind the peep sight, a flip-up ladder/vernier type of long-range sight.

2) the serial number is 3290.

3) $100 reward for anybody putting me in contact with the current owner and if I am successful in purchasing the rifle.

Thanks,
Richard

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I appreciate what you are trying to do. Who wouldn't want their great-granfathers gun?

But you are looking for a needle in a haystack made out of needles.

But...I guess you won't find it if you don't try. grin

Good luck and if you do find it....let us know. smile

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll tell you one thing...I don't have it!
Good luck!

Brian

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

You never know unless you try....Good luck finding it....
I think this site is a good place to start looking....

An add in the newspaper from the area it was sold may help also......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do not give up. There was a story recently on TV about Korean War vet who got back his very own Garand that was issued to him. I think he got it from the CMP, but I can't be sure 100%.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Was it sold in any particular state or town?

"real men use Savages-and wear mustaches"
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oklahoma City.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Man I just read that... sold in OK city at Garage sale...man they know how to have a garage sale in OK...!

"real men use Savages-and wear mustaches"
[Linked Image]
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks 99guy and docost99 for reading and replying; every view helps! I know my search may not pan out, but appreciate the encouragement!

Richard

R
OP Offline
R
I meant to say thanks to smokey15, boswellbuckhunter, calhoun, and romac as well! I still don't have the hang of these posts and replies... And yes, it must have been a great garage sale - my grandparents had a lot of great stuff and I didn't even know it was being done - lost a lot of family things that we didn't want to lose. You would cry if I told you what it was sold for, I know I do! BTW, I did place an ad in the OKC newspaper last year, and may try again - I received a couple of calls; it was just really expensive for a very short time. Thanks for the encouragement!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Richard1895
I meant to say thanks to smokey15, boswellbuckhunter, calhoun, and romac as well! I still don't have the hang of these posts and replies... And yes, it must have been a great garage sale - my grandparents had a lot of great stuff and I didn't even know it was being done - lost a lot of family things that we didn't want to lose. You would cry if I told you what it was sold for, I know I do! BTW, I did place an ad in the OKC newspaper last year, and may try again - I received a couple of calls; it was just really expensive for a very short time. Thanks for the encouragement!

what you can try is get hold of a gun club or shooting range in OKlahoma city
call them and see if you can get names of gun collectors in that area , you never know and as we say .
never say never.good luck

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the ideas. I have a cousin in OKC who sent me some of that type of info, so I will pursue that angle and see what happens. Thanks again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anything is possible; here is the story of a WWII P-51 fighter pilot that was re-united with the plane that he flew in WWII and got to fly in it again!

http://www.asb.tv/videos/view.php?v=1bf99434&br=500

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,946 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,160
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.