Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I came across a pre-war takedown G languishing in a local shop that isn't too bad, but with one big exception. The buttstock was changed out for a 60s vintage press checkered stock and the checkering on the fore stock is flattened out. I have a post war EG buttstock that may work close enough as I think the Gs were very similar. It's a .300. Also, could a 250 takedown barrel be fitted (given there are any to be found) or am I just talking stupid talk. The metal isn't too bad. The receiver ring is marked 1899 Savage so I figure it's a teens or early 20s 99. Thanks for entertaining my flight of fancy.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Did you get the SN? The G came out in 1922.

S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
No, but I'll go back on Tuesday when they open for the week. Thanks. So I guess this would make it an early G?

Last edited by S99VG; 03/19/17.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There was a real nice takedown 250 barrel on fleabay for $175. I was going to fit it to my 300G but it ended before I bid. It was reposted and went for over $400. You snooze, you lose.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Yea, but then again there's no use crying over spilled milk. One thing I've learned is that if you look long and hard enough just about anything shows up. Now I just need to keep looking for that million bucks...

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
contact Ramrod340 about stock copies. I don't think he has a G template but I know he has an EG template. The difference may only be a bit of detail work around the pistol grip.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'd like to see someone's side-by-side comparison pictures of G and EG, in the grip and comb area.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JeffG
contact Ramrod340 about stock copies. I don't think he has a G template but I know he has an EG template. The difference may only be a bit of detail work around the pistol grip.

After a little study I think you are right about the pistol grip. I also think the checkering pattern is different. Thanks

"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
There was a real nice takedown 250 barrel on fleabay for $175. I was going to fit it to my 300G but it ended before I bid. It was reposted and went for over $400. You snooze, you lose.

Mike

I watched in awe as the price for that barrel spiraled into the stratosphere. Two bidders with 0 ebay transactions duked it out. I figured it was a case of two newbies getting carried away with auction fever, a case of my d*ck's bigger than yours, or it was a case of shill(s) trying to jack up the price. I wonder if that barrel will make yet another appearance on fleabay.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I am going to try to take another look at that 99 today, but in the meantime I'd like to ask about what year did Savage stop stamping the receiver bridge 1899? That may be a dumb question but I am not sure of the answer. Thanks again!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 99H produced in 1925, serial #275xxx that has the 1899 marking. So sometime shortly after that. But you know Savage they probably produced rifles with both markings for a while. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
So would it be safe to say that the 1899 Savage marking was phased out by the late 1920s? I can live with that explanation as I'm sure it took time for Savage to use up older parts with older markings and frankly, beyond anything having to do with legalities (such as patent dates or changes in ownership), there would be absolutely no good reason to expect a firearms manufacture to give a flying fart about what type of mark they applied to their products. In other words, while maker's marks can be used to establish a chronology for a product line, they were never intended to be used for that purpose.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I went back and looked today. The receiver is marked Savage Model 1899 and the serial number is just a tad under 276,000.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG
I went back and looked today. The receiver is marked Savage Model 1899 and the serial number is just a tad under 276,000.

I have a 99G with a 283K serial number and it is marked "Savage 99" on the receiver ring. So they must have changed it somewhere around that timeframe. Then again, it is only one single data point.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
According to Murray 276K dates to 1924 and 283K to 1925.

Last edited by S99VG; 03/22/17.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to my data 276K dates to 1925 and 283 dates to 1926. Not trying to start an argument but supposedly my data was compiled after Doug's last revision in 1985. David

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Arguing about dates is tit for tat, and no offense was taken. I guess I need to step up to the plate and buy your book. So it looks like the G in question was made in 1925. I have been thinking about using it for a semi-custom job - something on the line of a period Griffen and Howe or Sedgley. This can’t be too sacrilege as the butt stock is a long goner. I’m going to give it some time for the price to come down. It’s on consignment and I figure 499 is a bit too high considering the stock issue. Thanks for the update on the year of manufacture.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Arguing about dates is tit for tat, and no offense was taken. I guess I need to step up to the plate and buy your book. So it looks like the G in question was made in 1925. I have been thinking about using it for a semi-custom job - something on the line of a period Griffen and Howe or Sedgley. This can’t be too sacrilege as the butt stock is a long goner. I’m going to give it some time for the price to come down. It’s on consignment and I figure 499 is a bit too high considering the stock issue. Thanks for the update on the year of manufacture.

Sounds like a fun project. With the right wood and application of vision and perseverance I could see you being very happy with the outcome.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So far I can still ship gun books to California. I've still got ones that Schiffer gave me a discount on before Christmas so I can ship you or any one else on the forum a book for $62.00 including postage and handling. They are numbered, inscribed to you if you want and of course signed. I'm well into the 400 numbers and will stop numbering at 500. However, I will continue to inscribe and sign the ones I sell after 500. For my contact info see the thingy under this text. You can get one cheaper on Amazon but it won't be signed, etc. David

wyo1895
[email protected]

S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Sounds like a fun project. With the right wood and application of vision and perseverance I could see you being very happy with the outcome.

I like your thinking!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,073
Posts18,463,784
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.