Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I dropped a few knives at Parsons today so he could work his magic. He is in his new shop and up n runnin. Very nice shop. Shot a little BS and found out he is gaining on his backlog. He plans on getting caught up and improving his turn around time. Man, can sheaths get any better.

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Link?

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
As far as I'm concerned there is no better sheath maker on the planet. All of his stuff is fantastic, reasonably priced and built like a tank. He only works with the very best grades of leather and his premium stuff is world class.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
His sheaths are the best I own
Can't say enough good things about them

Michael Jordan once told me that no one likes name droppers.

I would like to give a shout out to sidewalks for keeping me off the streets
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My order of preference for custom knife sheaths:

1. Parsons
2. Parsons
3. Parsons

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I fed him lunch. Someone commented they wanted to see more of his sheaths on his website but he said so many of the guys had been ordering plain janes. How many plain ones can you show. He has a couple in line that will be inlaid so maybe we can get some pictures of those.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple of his plain jane sheaths, excellent workmanship but I don't care for the slab on slab design. I prefer a folded single piece of leather.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yup. with kydex, too.....

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
curious as to why. Serious question. What is the advantage of the fold over? I'm sure Larry will do a fold over if asked but I'm curious as to the reason people like one vs. the other. I like the flat myself but always like to hear the thinkin' as to advantages of other methods.

Last edited by mtnman1; 01/16/14.

Check out my new website

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
personal preference. not as wide, not as many stitches to come loose (or rivets/grommets to do) . easier to lace one edge instead of two, if you lace your own.

Besides, I don't have a sewing machine......grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the looks of the folded leather, also like the single direction of insertion. Further, the wet formed folded sheaths more closely match the shape of the knife and, on the samples I own, do a better job of retaining the knife in the sheath.

Almost totally a cosmetic concern since I never wear a knife on my belt, they always get carried in my pack. Of course the exception is the sheaths Parsons makes with the inserts, they look awesome.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I was just curious if there was some benefit that I overlooked. Looks counts of course. I can say that I never seem to do a good job of consistently folding kydex so tend to lean toward the two part and I like the flat result. As far as leather Larry's designs have generally proven to me that there just isn't much he can't do in a pancake design that won't satisfy most. I've never asked him if he would do a pouch style sheath, but I wouldn't be surprised if he would do one if asked. Here's a picture of one of his inlaid sheaths with Elephant Ear inlay and a hand engraved Silver Concho.

[Linked Image]

Check out my new website

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a sucker for his inlays, the touch of silver is a nice addition.

I can't think of an advantage other than the pancake does appear to be easier to make - I've only built a couple of pancake designs.

This is my best looking sheath, a Mike Okamura job.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boise
I have a couple of his plain jane sheaths, excellent workmanship but I don't care for the slab on slab design. I prefer a folded single piece of leather.

I am in the same camp... Ingram and Dozier make simple folded leather pouch style sheaths that I like a lot. I really like the looks of Paul Long sheaths also, though they are sort of a hybrid.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's my favorite style as well. Some times I have him throw on some basket weave tooling too.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Roy I have had hundreds of his sheaths. Yours are the first basketweave I have saw. Very few times will I ever say someone is the best. L parson is the best.

Last edited by rickmenefee; 01/16/14.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Slaughterville, if that mini orange g-10 Vince has was in a Parsons, I'd already own it.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by slg888
Slaughterville, if that mini orange g-10 Vince has was in a Parsons, I'd already own it.

We canake that happen. Larry has almost the same knife rignt now. He can make 2.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Here are a few of his awesome inlays [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 30 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,449
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.