Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G'day folks, I've got a Bark River Little Creek. Convex grind as you know. I like it for unzipping bunnies, foxes and birds. Recently whilst out on a hunt I tried bringing the edge back with a strop, to no avail. I got back to camp and got out the mouse pad and wet/dry emery paper and started to go about sharpening it. To be honest when I'm out in the scrub camping mouse pads and sand paper etc really isn't what I consider economical traveling.

I thought you know what, if I can't just sharpen this with a stone I don't want it. So I set about sharpening it (re profiling it I guess) on my course stone. After a bit I flipped it over to the smooth side, then swapped over to my Arkansas stone. I need to be able to dress up the edge in the field, I don't wanna stuff around with mouse pads etc...

Anyway it came up really sharp. So I guess it's not a convex anymore.... But I can sharpen it with my little Lansky rod now.

Anyone else done this? Some would probably consider this ruining the knife but it's where I like it now.

Tail end of the story is I won't buy a convex ever again. Just give me a sabre or Scandi grind and I'm happy.

Cheers, Scott.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A thin hollow gring is the best slicer and easy to sharpen. I have reground a couple of convex and I know other makers have too. If your happy with it thats all that matters. You should try a custom knife at least once. The right grind on proper steel with aperfect heat treat will ama e you and you won't have to worry as much about sharpeng in the bush.

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am a real fan of convex grind knives, but they are not optimum for everything. They certainly are not the best choice for field dressing or butchering dead animals.
I'll take a thin, hollow ground blade for those chores. The convex works really good with camp chores, and bushcrafting.

Sam......

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
ditto on the mouse pad & various grit sandpaper---the small dmt double diamond grit is enough for the field. I always rebevel the appleseed grind. cranky72

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hollow ground seems to work the best for me on animals. I have a few scandi grind knives and like them for some work. I carry a folding diamond stone and it works pretty well.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO convex ground tool steel has yet to be surpassed in the cutting dept.

I have never found the need to reprofile a convex edge. They are some of the best cutting knives around IME.

I don't use my hunting knives for much other than cutting up critters....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
IMO convex ground tool steel has yet to be surpassed in the cutting dept.

+1 ^^^

Easy to maintain too.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Catra testing ain't know fairy tail.

Last edited by rickmenefee; 10/31/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"So I guess it's not a convex anymore..." Maybe it is. Unless you are a rock steady expert freehand you could be convexing just by normal inconsistency of angle. All mine are, too sloppy to do it any other way.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

372 members (222ND, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,226
Posts18,447,692
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.