-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Found this piece, could it be used for scales?

[Linked Image]

Roughly 10"x6"x3/4" less the holes.

Dark in color.

Thanks

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
You could get 4 or 5 blocks out of it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Seem's I heard a time or two it was pert' near good for fashioning knife handles, a

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and I'm told that some knife-makers use it from time to time.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I would be inclined to wonder just what has been shot through it, if depleted uranium or similar it might be a good idea to avoid.

Also, what does extreme heat or pressure do to the existing chemical makeup of the material...is it carcinogenic?

But hey, I want to see my grand children.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I would be inclined to wonder just what has been shot through it, if depleted uranium or similar it might be a good idea to avoid.

Also, what does extreme heat or pressure do to the existing chemical makeup of the material...is it carcinogenic?

Don't worry. If you glow in the dark, they will be able to see you. laugh

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Good point.

Some type of electrical component got very hot.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
GW,

In the photo with the bear skin, please tell me about the knife that is second from the right with the cream colored handle. Also, is the knife on the far right a Crotts?

Thanks, RS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I work in an old Westinghouse plant, we have tabletops made of the stuff everywhere. It is unreal tuff, cant hurt it ith a hammer.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I work in an old Westinghouse plant, we have tabletops made of the stuff everywhere. It is unreal tuff, cant hurt it ith a hammer.

You need to take a skillsaw to work buddy.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I am not GW but that knife is a k2 dozier model.....the other one all the way to the right is also a dozier...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Make sure you use a respirator when cutting or sanding micarta, you do not want to inhale the dust.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like micarta for a woods blade but not so much on a knife from cleaning kjand dressing game. Micarta will soak up liquid so blood will go into the handle.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So? What's the problem?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Micarta will soak up liquid so blood will go into the handle.

You have to seal the handle material with something, blood is good color........

http://www.musicmadeknives.com/index.html

Knives are mans best friend........dogs are pretty cool too!
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like micarta for a woods blade but not so much on a knife from cleaning kjand dressing game. Micarta will soak up liquid so blood will go into the handle.

That has not been my experience with either the Ivory or Westinghouse Micarta on my Ingrams. Neither have soaked up any blood that I can see. I'm not sure if Gene (and other knife makers)seal the Micarta but it hasn't been a problem.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I only have a few production knives with micarta scales and they soak up water like a sponge. One is a Becker BK4, I have a El cheapo condor and a ESEE Izula2. I think that is what makes them so good for a woods blade, they are very grippy when wet. I would think blood would make the scales stink and deteriorate. I'd say y'all are right with the customs, they probably are sealed. I don't own one so I wouldn't know. Po boy...

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dave, I would send that to a maker and have a knife made with it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
Dave, I would send that to a maker and have a knife made with it.

I think that's what I'll end up doing. Maybe have a matching pair made.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only have a few production knives with micarta scales and they soak up water like a sponge. One is a Becker BK4, I have a El cheapo condor and a ESEE Izula2. I think that is what makes them so good for a woods blade, they are very grippy when wet. I would think blood would make the scales stink and deteriorate. I'd say y'all are right with the customs, they probably are sealed. I don't own one so I wouldn't know. Po boy...

Micarta is pretty much impervious to water, blood, about all the common cleaning chemicals to include oil or gas and a wide range of cold and high temperatures. It's about as indestructible a handle material as can be had. Add G-10 in there as well. The idea the scales would soak up blood and stink/deteriorate isn't accurate from anything I've read or my experience with several dozen micarta scaled knives.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There are variations in micarta.
That made with paper or linen probably will not absorb noticeable amounts of what ever.
That made with canvas or burlap will retain some foreign materials unless sealed or soaked with something in my experience. You can apply something like exterior poly urethane or saturate with a light oil such as WD40.
Or you can just flush out the bad stuff with hot water and go on with it.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,837 guests, and 1,401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,832
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.