Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
This year, I was hunting with my brother in law. He shot a deer in the last few minutes of light. The deer ran off into our swamp and died. I drove my jeep back from our camp through a big mud hole and through some water to get to a partially frozen food plot adjacent to the swamp so we could drag the deer out of the swamp and load it into the jeep. I drove across the food plot and parked with the jeep running and walked into the swamp because I did not want it to stall or not re start from being so wet. I went into the swamp and dragged his bambi out of the woods to the jeep while he recoverd his gear. I was in the swamp maybe a half an hour. When I came out of the swamp up to edge of the food plot with my head lamp on, there were about 20 deer all standing around my jeep eating away, they were right next to it and all around it, the jeep was still running with a big cloud of exaust bilowing up. Pretty funny, I learned if I ever get too old and crippled to actually walk far, I will just hunt from my Jeep with the heater running.

Any other funny ones?

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I watched a four point try to duck under a wind fallen tree and he forgot about his rack. He had a startled look and then leaned his head from side to side until he decided which way to hold his head as he ducked under the trunk. After he got by the tree he looked at me with a "what do you think of that" look. I was laughing so hard I let him pass. My friend Randy shot him the next day in the same area.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One time I was pretending to be an Indian sneaking up on a deer on the way to going fishing. The area was rocks of all sizes from three feet to ten feet or more. These were on a bed of very large, fairly flat rocks. I was wearing sneakers so was silent. Rounding one of the large boulders I startled myself and three deer which were bedded about ten to twelve feet from me. All three launched themselves to get away but two literally skidded side ways on the slick surface of the rocks and flopped down before they got their act together enough to run away.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm on post watching a doe placidly feeding in front of me. Two red squirrels are chasing in the tree above me, and one of them misses a branch, falls out of the tree and lands right on this old doe's head. Needless to say she wasn't real thrilled with the proceedings. I bet she's still running.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This is a 2nd hand story and you really have to know the guy to appreciate it but a buddy was sitting against a tree while hunting and fell asleep. Something caused hm to wake up and when he opened his eyes there was a doe staring him in the face with her nose about 6" away from his. He said I screamed like a school girl scaring them both nearly to death. No shots were fired and neither party suffered injury other than pride.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not really a deer hunt, but I flushed a ruffed grouse one time, which then promptly flew directly into tree and either knocked itself out or broke its neck. It obviously fell to the ground, and I was laughing so hard I couldn't aim to put some pellets in him to ensure he didn't get up and fly again before I got over to him.

I got over to him and rung his neck to make sure, but I was still laughing so hard I didn't check to see if his neck was broke or if he was just knocked out.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I'm going in for a prostatectomy frown Monday morning and needed something to pick me up; you guys are doing a great job smile

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There was the time I was walking out of the woods after dark . I was plodding along with nothing on my mind but how good it was going to feel in the truck with the heater running, when two grouse roosting in a cedar trees about head high right next to the trail blasted out of the tree almost in my face as I passed. I must have jumped 10 ft in the air and about crapped myself. I had to laugh at myself when I got my heart rate down below 200 .

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
2nd hand story from before I was hunting:

My father and uncles were deer hunting and had crossed out of our club onto state land. While walking along a low ridge on one side and stream on the other they surprised a bear. My father shot the bear, which then rolled down into the stream, getting its head wedged between a couple of rocks.

After pulling the bear out, and arguing whether it had drowned or died from the gunshot, they decided to stash it while they continued on deer hunting to pick up later. Someone got the idea that instead of just simply stashing it to tie it up to a tree behind a low rock and prop it's forelegs up and jaw open with sticks.

So...later that day they heard a little flurry of shots from about the area they left the bear. When they went back by on they way camp at end of the day the bear had several more bullet holes in it than the original one!

A week or so later one of my uncles ran into one of the members from a neighboring club that hunted that same area. The guy cussed him out a little - apparently he'd been hunting, sat down on a rock to rest, then looked back to see "a bear lunging over the rock". Guess hed didn't notice the rope and sticks propping it up until he'd about emptied his rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are no deer in one of my favorite deer hunting stories.

When I started hunting in Southern Maryland, treestands were all homemade affairs built with saplings cut on-site, sometimes with a scrap of lumber for a platform. Most were pretty low by today's standards, sometimes only 6-8 feet, a wise idea considering their construction.

One year, a new guy, Dave, came to hunt. Dave was a very pleasant 40-ish guy, and pretty beefy. He was guided to a stand on a ridge not far from where my uncle was sitting. After a while, my uncle heard a crack, and then a thud. Dave's stand had given way and dumped him out, fortunately without injury.

That night, we were all sitting in the house and having some fun at Dave's expense. He took it very well, and was in the middle of a response when he leaned back in his chair, which collapsed under the load and dumped his big butt on the floor. Perfect timing.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We had a very successful opening morning, 7 out of 9 of us got our bucks, and we were all ganged up cutting them up. Cousin Chester cut off a pair of deer 'nads and walked up to Cousin Earl (yes, those ARE their real names!) and dropped them into Earl's coverall pocket. Earl didn't notice as he was skinning one of the deer.

Later, Earl reached into his hip pocket for his snot rag and grabbed a handful of deer balls. All of us had seen Chester, and were watching. We were rolling around on the ground laughing.

Earl got even, though. He took those deer nuts and dropped them into the toes of Chester's Redwings, which were in his truck camper. When Chester got hom, he just took his boots and tossed them into the closet. Julie, Chester's wife, noticed a bad odor a couple of months later, and discovered the balls....

Those two had a long history, and still do. They are a helluva lot of fun.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've taken more than one newbie on legendary snipe hunts. We had a dead end logging road we called the Snipe Skid Trail. It was only about a half mile walk back to camp from there......

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Funnest scene ever was a few years back, my hunting partner brought his BIL Dino to our Texas deer lease. Dino shot a very nice buck on the edge of large field bordered by a canal, several searches turned up no sign then while looking at the water up pops his buck from the bottom of the canal. Problem was it was freezing out this was the only time we had snow while hunting near Coleman county.

The deer was too far from shore so we informed Dino it was his deer so he was going in. He decides he didnt want to get his hunting clothes wet so he strip down..completely and heads to the water. Just as he gets to the water and turns around and goes back to his pack grabs his camera and hands it to his BIL. With a grin he says you are going to have fun with this story anyway so there might as well be pictures!

Dino was a great guy and sadly we lost him Christmas 2015 to cancer at age 50, RIP DINO frown

Ted
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I was about 35 feet up a tree in my climber when the urge to crap hit me... No way I was going to be able to climb down without soiling myself.
So I took off my boots, tired the laces together and hung them over the rail. Then I removed my pants, hung my butt over the rail and handled buisness, wiping with a sock and tossing it down.
I redressed and finished off the afternoon hunt.
At dark I climbed down, forgetting the whole event and jumped out of the stand and directly into my own mess.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by ringworm
I was about 35 feet up a tree in my climber when the urge to crap hit me... No way I was going to be able to climb down without soiling myself.
So I took off my boots, tired the laces together and hung them over the rail. Then I removed my pants, hung my butt over the rail and handled buisness, wiping with a sock and tossing it down.
At dark I climbed down, forgetting the whole event and jumped out of the stand and directly into my own mess.

sick

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
A friend of mine was scouting with another guy and they were riding double on an ATV. The driver got the "urge" so he stopped, went off behind some bushes to take care of business. He pulled down his bib overalls BUT not quite far enough or out of the way. laugh

Not knowing he was packing some extra "baggage", he got back on the ATV and off they went. Well, they didn't have to go very far before they were both just about overcome with the fumes.

It was only then that the driver realized his mistake. sick

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
It has been my experience that nothing makes a buck appear faster than leaning your weapon against a tree, and pulling out your pecker to take a whiz........... mad

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
It has been my experience that nothing makes a buck appear faster than leaning your weapon against a tree, and pulling out your pecker to take a whiz........... mad

Only thing more likely is to drop your pants for a dump.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

Only thing more likely is to drop your pants for a dump.

My dad killed his biggest buck many years ago, interrupted during the morning constitutional. He told me he heard the buck well before he saw him, so my dad at least had a chance to grab his rifle.

30" mulies don't show up every day.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ringworm

Remind me not to hunt near your stands lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 3,278 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.